Toronto Market Street Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Woodcliffe | Taylor Smyth

How about trees on the west side? Are they planning to plant any? I see them in the rendering... Overall, I like the design and finishes, definitely it does have some European flavour and appeal.

I walked past the patio barriers they're installing on the south end of the street, and the inner row of bollards make a little more sense now. They're being used as part of the structure for the barriers with flat metal panels being supported between each of the bollards. It doesn't look too bad. I wish I'd thought to bring my camera with me.

I walked past the patio barriers they're installing on the south end of the street, and the inner row of bollards make a little more sense now. They're being used as part of the structure for the barriers with flat metal panels being supported between each of the bollards. It doesn't look too bad. I wish I'd thought to bring my camera with me.
Look at #189 above - some of the 'panels' were up then.

One rendering also shows it completely pedestrianized. Another with no bollards. They seem to have been a bit embellished.
I think there is still the intention to pedestrianize the streets on weekends once the new restaurants take off but I agree it could and should be pedestrianized all the time, at least in summer. The Market vendors were very unwilling to have it closed off but ...

It should be pedestrianized either all the time during the summer or during regular intervals throughout the year like on the weekends or whenever it would have the greatest chance to succeed.

Pedestrian-only streets in the Nederlands are opened for access to delivery vehicles in the early morning. Steel bollards are raised and lowered by a combination of automatic or local staff actions. If timed access was permitted for deliveries, perhaps the market businesses would be fine?

Walked by last night and the double row of bollards makes perfect sense. Looks great outside of the lack of trees.

Pedestrian-only streets in the Nederlands are opened for access to delivery vehicles in the early morning. Steel bollards are raised and lowered by a combination of automatic or local staff actions. If timed access was permitted for deliveries, perhaps the market businesses would be fine?

Yeah, that's one example of a functional pedestrianization scheme. We have to move away from the unsuccessful North American model of pedestrianization by permanently closing a street to all vehicles and landscaping it like a park. A pedestrianized street should still be a flexible street where deliveries can happen and on which cars can travel at times of the year when there aren't many pedestrians. The street maintains its usefulness, commercial vitality and vibrancy that way.

Last edited:
Noticed last night that the City has posted notices on the Market Street restaurants saying that they cannot open due to 'building defects". Most defects look like sprinklers not yet connected and stuff that is, presumably, fairly easily fixed but I bet the restauranteurs are a bit pissed off. Most have applied for alcohol permits and have been busily fitting out their spaces.

Oct 18

x5e.JPG

84yo.jpg

u8a2.jpg

Back