Toronto Market Street Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Woodcliffe | Taylor Smyth

What an improvement! It just goes to show how transformative a little streetscaping can be. More please!!

Not a big fan of the corten/concrete mix - much rather they stick with the cobble/curb design for a unified look. And yes, the nobby corten insert right at the "dip" on the sidewalk is going to do wonders for objects with wheels. Hate to say it, but what's this obsession with sidewalk inserts anyways?

AoD

Not a big fan of the corten/concrete mix - much rather they stick with the cobble/curb design for a unified look. And yes, the nobby corten insert right at the "dip" on the sidewalk is going to do wonders for objects with wheels. Hate to say it, but what's this obsession with sidewalk inserts anyways?

AoD

They alert the visually impared to the end of the sidewalk. That's why the yellow thingies on subway platforms are nobby too.

They alert the visually impared to the end of the sidewalk. That's why the yellow thingies on subway platforms are nobby too.

Yes, the City tested out 4 possible design at Victoria and Shuter (all still there) and picked this one. They will be installed on Front Street when it is fixed up between Jarvis and Parliament (starting very soon) and, I think, on The Esplanade (starting in August).

And right on cue, the street is clogged with illegally parked vehicles:

9101620727_35fa2282d8.jpg

On the east side it's loading zone only and that's what the signage shows. On the west side the bollards are extended and there are no signs at all.

The only disappointing thing in those photos is that poured concrete still appears for a few elements in the paving. Slabs of granite would have been better everywhere poured concrete was used.

It looks tremendous. I hope The Esplanade gets done over like this.

The Esplanade should receive this style of makeover, but the Esplanade's heritage is real stone paving. It's one of the only streets in Toronto to have ever been paved with real stone blocks like in European cities, so using concrete pavers like on Market Street wouldn't be appropriate given the opportunity to have the cachet of what are popularly known as "cobblestone" streets. The destination businesses like the restaurants on the Esplanade would only benefit from that.

It's amazing how widespread they've become in American cities. Every intersection has them in many places. It doesn't look like an elegant solution. Toronto seems to have adopted something more subtle a few years ago. We started to see new sidewalks at intersections with notches in the concrete which I presumed was for the blind.

I was down there this morning for the market, and it's looking amazing. Sure granite would have been better, but this is leaps and bounds better than what was there before.

Agreed that the Esplanade should get similar treatment now. With Market st looking so good it really emphasizes the crumbling asphalt and patchwork repairs on the Esplanade.

Back