Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

You know I just thought of this cool idea: put the hockey rink/arena in the basement of mls then implode that corporate boring hangar (but keep the old post office facade) and build stunning condos on the site! Now I know it's not gonna happen but still a really nice thought:)

Look on the mls website: they state clearly the construction schedule. Try digging a hole 7 floors deep see how long it takes! Cranes will be in place by December.

"Okay, judging by all the renderings I've seen, I'm guessing these towers are not really going to match the way the Air Canada Centre looks?"

John Bentley mays saw the buildings as matching the ACC well. he used the term "muscular" in the sense the ACC is bulky too.

"Okay, judging by all the renderings I've seen, I'm guessing these towers are not really going to match the way the Air Canada Centre looks?"

John Bentley mays saw the buildings as matching the ACC well. he used the term "muscular" in the sense the ACC is bulky too.

Interesting, I'm not a fan of the towers at all, especially not in such a prominent location. I find them quite dull and corporate looking.

Interesting, I'm not a fan of the towers at all, especially not in such a prominent location. I find them quite dull and corporate looking.

That's how I think of this project, quite dulll and very boring. I just hope that the renderings are just that, a rendering. I really hope they use good materials on this project and make it match it's little counterpart, the ACC.

If we can take anything from this project is that atleast the podium and street front will be exciting...well, one can hope.

In terms of the design I would have preferred something more along the lines of the original SOM buildings slated for Y-E. These towers leave me a bit too cold, but considering the locale I suspect their austere corporate appearance is deliberate. I do like the height of the towers which I think is probably well suited for that bridge of land between the financial district and the condos on the waterfront. I also think the podium has some definite potential, it's going to be a biggee with several floors of amenities and retail- I really like the inclusion of boutique hotel.

Photos by Sir Novelty Fashion

Taken from his original thread to be found here:
http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=5935

And down to MLSE: Big giant hole!

I'm sorry, I was getting really tired of taking pictures of foundations by this point in my walk.

Only one sorry, but they did have some re-bar in the pit so maybe they're ready to pour a crane foundation.

833379094_39ce12961f_o.jpg

I think corporate-looking is great for this project... it will add a lot of presence to the area, and atleast corporate-looking means it won't look like another condo... which it is. But the waterfront area already has enough condos that all look the same. :D

I like the project. It's a bit of a superblock, but at least it seems to make some effort to relate to its neighbours. I'd much rather see an "ACC Village" type of development, maybe with a little warren of streets lined with bars with offices and condos above, but the mix of uses is good, especially the grocery store. As long as the PATH connection is easy, it should be very popular with Union Station commuters.

Given the size of the surrounding buildings in the area, I think this is the perfect spot for a Superblock development in the city. What with the Gardiner running right along the southern edge, any village that went in would have been dominated by it. Going bigger than the Gardiner is the only way to minimize it (without tearing it down, and we wouldn't want to do that...).

Back