Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

it is photoshopped. Its my signature style, sorry if you dont like it. And its not overexposed - if that were the case the image would have very washed out colours. I have very dense colours...

That is beautiful photo looking down from above.
Unfortunately, it really drives home a point. NO neighbourhood. Nothing. Simply a lot of very tall buildings grouped together. It really is bleak and soul destroying. Somebody was reminded of Siberia. I was reminded of one those depressing Moscow apartment neighbourhoods we have all seen pictures of. The only difference is we have lots of glass in our buildings.

Sooner or later these future condo residents are going to have to come out of their tiny little apartments, walk out the front door of their buildings and look around.

Remember the story that was read to you when you were young.. "The Emperor has no clothes". These buildings have no neighbourhoods!
No streets with shops, restaurants, cafes, ... nothing. Just cold hard wind swept barren bleak avenues designed primarily for the automobile, allowing people to get into their cars and drive to somewhere else in the city where this is some colour,some warmth, some laughter, ...some life. If they can't drive, they can bundle up and start walking. The real city can be found about a kilometre or so away.

I couldn't disagree more. Aside from the fact that the area hasn't been completed. Firstly, how many stores/amenities do you need in the area? With the proposed lower level of Union having a few thousand sq ft of retail, plus the pre-existing retail in the surrounding area. Is it really necessary to have another McDonalds or Dairy queen? A supermarket will be built in one of the towers so the only other shops I would expect to see in this development would maybe be a hair salon, tailor, coffee shop, a couple of restaurants (franchise or ind it doesn't matter), but none of these will be seen until the area is complete.

With all due respect I think you are mistaking the difference between a neighborhood as a destination (as the aforementioned queen st.) and a neighborhood as a place of living. Is parkdale a neighborhood as a destination? I don't think people flock there for it's shops and services and night life.

** Edit **

My comment was that it did look photoshopped, if that was you intention to come up with that look. Then I have no problem with it

With all due respect I think you are mistaking the difference between a neighborhood as a destination (as the aforementioned queen st.) and a neighborhood as a place of living. Is parkdale a neighborhood as a destination? I don't think people flock there for it's shops and services and night life.

Bacchus Roti? Mitzi's Sister? Etc.

Cadillac Lounge, Stone's Place, The Parkdale Drink, The Rhino, etc.

And yet less than 2 km away lies this disaster of urban planning

link

The Bremner neighborhood features St. Louis, Harbour sports, and the steamwhistle brew pub among many other joints that can be found if one drew a circle 1km in each direction. Bier Market? By no means am I carrying the torch for this development/area/neighborhood, I'm just saying give it a chance to mature much like Queen west etc have.

Saturday, 12 April 2008:
DSC01314.jpg

Redroom, I like your photoshopped effect very much indeed. The photos look like a 1955 postcard, yet they are of 2008 Toronto. The effect, to my eyes, is charming.

thanks Archivist!

UD, pounding the pavement in the rain to bring us this showdown between Menkes and Lanterra! My money is on Lanterra, they've got twice as many cranes...

Back