Toronto Lumiere Condominiums | ?m | 32s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Looks rather cheap?! Are you kidding me? Perhaps because it's still in construction!!!

I wonder if they're going to fill in those vertical stripes with some sort of coloured glass panels? Right now, with the insulation showing, it looks rather cheap.

No, they're going to just leave the insulation showing. With the amount of posts and reading you do on UT, I would think you would know the answer to that question.

No, they're going to just leave the insulation showing. With the amount of posts and reading you do on UT, I would think you would know the answer to that question.
I think urbandreamer realizes that they will be filled in. I think his question is will it be with coloured glass panels.

Assuming that you are Big Rudy himself, perhaps you could explain what will be filling those slits on the north face?

Also, would this not have started it's life as a Wallman Clewes Bergman building many moons ago?

March 16th Update

I love this building. Note that the first line of balcony glass is going in.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The style of these staggered stripes continues a theme up Bay, starting with finishing used on the Ryerson building at Bay and Dundas, a style which (imo) clashes with the nicely executed design seen throughout the rest of the structure.

Image source: commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ryerson_Unive...

Attachments

• Ryerson.jpg
    Ryerson.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 212
Jasonzed has done an update over at SSC on many of the downtown projects....here are a couple of his pics of Lumiere...

20100320027.jpg

20100320032.jpg

I like all the groovy setbacks at the back of the building. Save for the exterior feature around the lobby I almost prefer the back of Lumiere to the front.

I'm very curious as to whether others might think the same once Lumiere is complete.

The style of these staggered stripes continues a theme up Bay, starting with finishing used on the Ryerson building at Bay and Dundas, a style which (imo) clashes with the nicely executed design seen throughout the rest of the structure.

Like the "three sided box" it's a theme that's been running for a while. One City Hall, across the street from the Ryerson building, has a subtler version of the cladding pattern. And of course The Great Man uses the syncopated beat of staggered panels and fenestration in his buildings. It's a graphically dynamic look - when you're standing at Bay and Bloor his checkerboard Woodsworth Residence upstages the Crystal for attention even though it is more distant - and uses tonal differences within a muted colour palette rather than bright or garish colour contrasts. aA's Regent Park residential tower, when seen from across the Don Valley, is another one ... and their Wellesley Central Residences.

Back