Toronto Lumiere Condominiums | ?m | 32s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

There's nothing wrong with Lumiere, it's a very fine addition to Bay Street. Hopefully once the sales office goes away a second good tenant will take over the space for all the residents that are moving into the area. Bay St. can always use a little more life although one should never expect it to be a great walking street in our lifetimes.

I apologize. My post was directed at Redroom Studios and innsertname here. I quoted your reply in agreement.

Redroom has been participating in this forum for a long time and has contributed greatly with many beautiful photos, making this fugly city beautiful through his lense. He truly 'sees' this city, in other words, and can be excused his exasperation with the apathy, defensiveness and parochialism that dominates here (and let's not forget who this city elected two years ago for proof of this!). Most of us at UT feel this way too, by the way. I mean, if we didn't care we wouldn't be here, right? If Redroom has had enough with it all, well so that's his choice. Get over it.

Redroom has been participating in this forum for a long time and has contributed greatly with many beautiful photos, making this fugly city beautiful through his lense. He truly 'sees' this city, in other words, and can be excused his exasperation with the apathy, defensiveness and parochialism that dominates here (and let's not forget who this city elected two years ago for proof of this!). Most of us at UT feel this way too, by the way. I mean, if we didn't care we wouldn't be here, right? If Redroom has had enough with it all, well so that's his choice. Get over it.

Redroom has been an amazing contributor to the forum, I completely agree, having said that, his comment:

The new concrete and glass Toronto fails on so many levels. The more I travel and see other cities, the more I am disappointed in what we sell as glamourous here. I'm totally over Toronto actually. Ya, there's lots of money being made in the new construction but little to the public realm or character of the city.

Was very harsh and lacked detailed i.e. what exactly about Toronto are you totally over ? Again if its just the public realm I can agree, if its condo retail in general I don't at all, there is a lot of very successful condo retail. Also "character" ? Again condos have indirectly contributed magnitudes in this regard even if it just amounts to implying there are many more people in the various downtown neighborhoods. But I challenge that comment altogether ... check out the King East area in general, the condos their were built to fit into the existing community and architecture and they do a great job of it I'd argue ...

Anyway I don't think DtTO's comment was outline. But we are all likely on the same page regarding the public realm, though I'm sure some debate about the importance of it.

Last edited:
Bay Street is what it is, and I say that as someone who lives, works, and walks down the street every day for my commute. I don't expect it to be a glittering showpiece, nor do I think it should be. Save that treatment for University, Bloor, Queen, and other more prominent streets. Could it use improvement, of course. I can think of, for example, the redundant, rusted-out poles that can be removed and replaced from Gerrard south to Queen. Some utility cuts need to be addressed but I suspect they will be next year. More trees would work too (although the new plantings between Wellesley and Grenville are a good start). I noticed recently that long-standing, crumbling curbs and sidewalks have been replaced at College and at Dundas. So it's not all bad. For a Toronto street, it's remarkably well-kept, clean, and orderly. And with each new development, there are improvements to sidewalks and other features. I personally like its quiet, understated character and it does the job it should which is to act as a transition street between Yonge and the U of T/Queen's Park district, as well as act as a useful corridor for intensification (its bones, after all, make it well-suited for this especially in the form of its wide sidewalks).

There are pubs, there are stores, and a mix of uses so calling the street "lifeless" or whatnot is ridiculous, juvenile, and factually incorrect. I've always compared Bay to 2nd or 3rd Avenue in the 70s-80s: nothing glamorous, just meat-and-potatoes apartment houses with amenities nearby, close to subways, and possessing a quiet, workmanlike character. As someone who remembers what the street was like riding along with my dad when he drove the 6 Bay trolley bus, the difference is night and day.

Last edited:
Bay Street is what it is, and I say that as someone who lives, works, and walks down the street every day for my commute. I don't expect it to be a glittering showpiece, nor do I think it should be. Save that treatment for University, Bloor, Queen, and other more prominent streets. Could it use improvement, of course. I can think of, for example, the redundant, rusted-out poles that can be removed and replaced from Gerrard south to Queen. Some utility cuts need to be addressed but I suspect they will be next year. More trees would work too (although the new plantings between Wellesley and Grenville are a good start). I noticed recently that long-standing, crumbling curbs and sidewalks have been replaced at College and at Dundas. So it's not all bad. For a Toronto street, it's remarkably well-kept, clean, and orderly. And with each new development, there are improvements to sidewalks and other features. I personally like its quiet, understated character and it does the job it should which is to act as a transition street between Yonge and the U of T/Queen's Park district, as well as act as a useful corridor for intensification (its bones, after all, make it well-suited for this especially in the form of its wide sidewalks).

There are pubs, there are stores, and a mix of uses so calling the street "lifeless" or whatnot is ridiculous, juvenile, and factually incorrect. I've always compared Bay to 2nd or 3rd Avenue in the 70s-80s: nothing glamorous, just meat-and-potatoes apartment houses with amenities nearby, close to subways, and possessing a quiet, workmanlike character. As someone who remembers what the street was like riding along with my dad when he drove the 6 Bay trolley bus, the difference is night and day.

You make a good point ... that is regarding the built form aspect, Bay is actually one of the nicer streets ! Particularly with some recent improvements south of Bloor. But wow, such a claim could only be made in Toronto where the rest of the streets are essentially a mess built form wise.

Back