Toronto Lumiere Condominiums | ?m | 32s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

I never noticed that beige pattern that covers the bare concrete! It looks very awkward now (next to the blue cladding)... Almost looks like one of those older apartment building claddings on the beige part of it... But is sure looks better than the bare concrete :cool:!

Like the "three sided box" it's a theme that's been running for a while. One City Hall, across the street from the Ryerson building, has a subtler version of the cladding pattern. And of course The Great Man uses the syncopated beat of staggered panels and fenestration in his buildings. It's a graphically dynamic look - when you're standing at Bay and Bloor his checkerboard Woodsworth Residence upstages the Crystal for attention even though it is more distant - and uses tonal differences within a muted colour palette rather than bright or garish colour contrasts. aA's Regent Park residential tower, when seen from across the Don Valley, is another one ... and their Wellesley Central Residences.

Like the glass towers of the 90's and the distinctive Kings buildings, I have been noticing the theme. The Woodsworth, Wellesley Central and aA Regent Park buildings are indeed striking, wherein I find the Ryerson and Lumiere examples less inspiring, perhaps because of the chosen materials and beige colour palette.

I'm not sure what colour the Lumiere insets will be, but they might work well with the large neutral ground that surrounds them. Think Madame X and her sassy little slashes of primary colour.

The Great Man never faileth. He generally uses a muted colour palette and avoids the sort of fluorescence ( a bright red/green combination, say ) that would undermine the strongly graphic effect.

My first video attempt - a time lapse of the Lumiere, Ritz and Festival Tower cranes dancing the day away:

[video=youtube;Uy7Uh0UQ4uI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy7Uh0UQ4uI[/video]

More Lumiere beauty. I really like the balcony glass too

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Great video Mike in TO
Also liked the view of the "MaRS Discovery District"

RM

Zoomed in time-lapse of Lumiere with Ritz & Festival in the background:

[video=youtube;Umqm4749Wa8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umqm4749Wa8[/video]

Lumiere from my POV

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Taken yesterday:

4511365738_0fc2126cbc_b.jpg

4510729001_00ab6013d4_b.jpg

4510732127_1f5375cfc0_b.jpg

4510735649_a733d9cec0_b.jpg

4510739303_c813fcf21f_b.jpg

4511383506_fdfb5fa552_b.jpg

4511395286_40c915ffec_b.jpg

Back