Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

On CTV tonite they said the contracting was starting at 5am and 6am despite being told not to start until 7an. I guess we know why they seem ahead now.

DSC_0013-2  edit.jpg
DSC_0014-3.jpg
DSC_9995-2.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0013-2  edit.jpg
    DSC_0013-2 edit.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC_0014-3.jpg
    DSC_0014-3.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 451
  • DSC_9995-2.jpg
    DSC_9995-2.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 417
Closure of Lower Simcoe Street between Harbour Street and Queens Quay Boulevard Gardiner Expressway Ramp Reconstruction (Lower Simcoe Street to Bay Street) Contract #16ECS-TI-06BE
Street Closes 10:00 P.M. Friday, May 5, 2017 Street Opens 5:00 A.M. Monday, May 8, 2017

The City's contractor is making excellent progress on the demolition work of the York-Bay-Yonge off ramp that started on Monday, April 17. The removal operations are currently ahead of schedule as they approach the intersection at Lower Simcoe Street.
As part of the demolition work, the City will close Lower Simcoe Street from Harbour Street to Queens Quay Boulevard starting at 10:00 P.M. Friday, May 5 to 5:00 A.M. Monday, May 8. This portion of Lower Simcoe Street must be closed to safely remove the sections of the ramp over, and adjacent to, Lower Simcoe Street. Local access to all driveways will be maintained. The Rees Street on-ramp will also be closed overnight on Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 A.M. to 9:00 A.M.
At the current pace, the City anticipates closing the intersection of York Street and Harbour Street from May 19 to May 22 to safely remove the overhead portion of the ramp. The intersection is expected to reopen the morning of May 22. A notice will be issued once the dates are confirmed.
For this weekend work only, demolition work will be scheduled overnight Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Work will occur around the clock until the overhead portion of the ramp is removed.

Lower Simcoe Street to be closed on weekend for ramp demolition work

Lower Simcoe Street between Queens Quay and Harbour Street in Toronto will be closed starting at 10 p.m. on Friday, May 5 and extending to 5 a.m. on Monday, May 8. The closure is necessary to safely remove sections of the old expressway ramp as part of the demolition of the entire ramp from the Gardiner Expressway to York/Bay/Yonge Streets.

The eastbound ramp from Rees Street to the Gardiner Expressway will also be closed overnight on Saturday, May 6 and Sunday, May 7 – from midnight to 9 a.m. each of those dates.

During these closures, eastbound traffic on Lake Shore Boulevard/Harbour Street from Rees Street to York Street will be reduced to one through lane and one dedicated left-turn lane.
There will be no closures affecting traffic westbound on Lake Shore Boulevard.

Enhanced signage will be in place to inform drivers of the road closure and help manage traffic in the area.

Extended hours involving 24-hour operations will be in effect for this project throughout the weekend. The public is advised that this work will be brightly lit, loud and disruptive.

During this closure, pedestrian and cyclist access to the area will be restricted. Pedestrians and cyclists are advised to use alternative routes such as Bremner Boulevard, Rees Street and York Street. The cycle tracks on Lower Simcoe Street will be closed through the intersection.

The City has a web-based map to help residents and visitors make their travel plans, available at http://www.toronto.ca/roadrestrictions. Information about the City's planned capital construction work is available at http://www.toronto.ca/inview.

This work is part of the City's comprehensive, co-ordinated strategy to rehabilitate and upgrade Toronto's roads, transit and underground infrastructure for current and future needs.

This news release is also available on the City's website at http://bit.ly/2pCMTr7.

Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. It is a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture and is consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities. In 2017, Toronto will honour Canada's 150th birthday with "TO Canada with Love," a year-long program of celebrations, commemorations and exhibitions. For information on non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can visit http://www.toronto.ca, call 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/TorontoComms and on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/cityofto.

I guess the closure of York St could happen on the long weekend this month based at the rate they are going??

The faster removal has caught Toronto off foot for their plan schedule and closure.

I got my last shot of Ten York last week between the ramp and the Gardiner and will not see the ramp in my next shots from the same locations as in the past..

Mid June looks real good to see all of the ramps gone.

Thats exactly what the City announcement I posted just above says.
Did a quick read and miss those dates.

Maybe everyone in the area has their clocks set wrong or the contractors are operating on a different time zone.

I had the exact issue with a city contractor and sewers. The bylaw officers do not do overtime so they will not come out before 7. Unless you go through the official process which takes about 2 months (at which time all the work is done). And then its just a slap on the hand plus a promise not to do it again.

Even if you buy a professional sound level meter its not registered to the city. So the bylaw officers will not use it in their inspections.

Stupid process. But I guess a good process to quickly demolish a bridge

Closure of Lower Simcoe Street between Harbour Street and Queens Quay Boulevard Gardiner Expressway Ramp Reconstruction (Lower Simcoe Street to Bay Street) Contract #16ECS-TI-06BE
Street Closes 10:00 P.M. Friday, May 5, 2017 Street Opens 5:00 A.M. Monday, May 8, 2017

The City's contractor is making excellent progress on the demolition work of the York-Bay-Yonge off ramp that started on Monday, April 17. The removal operations are currently ahead of schedule as they approach the intersection at Lower Simcoe Street.
As part of the demolition work, the City will close Lower Simcoe Street from Harbour Street to Queens Quay Boulevard starting at 10:00 P.M. Friday, May 5 to 5:00 A.M. Monday, May 8. This portion of Lower Simcoe Street must be closed to safely remove the sections of the ramp over, and adjacent to, Lower Simcoe Street. Local access to all driveways will be maintained. The Rees Street on-ramp will also be closed overnight on Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 A.M. to 9:00 A.M.
At the current pace, the City anticipates closing the intersection of York Street and Harbour Street from May 19 to May 22 to safely remove the overhead portion of the ramp. The intersection is expected to reopen the morning of May 22. A notice will be issued once the dates are confirmed.
For this weekend work only, demolition work will be scheduled overnight Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Work will occur around the clock until the overhead portion of the ramp is removed.

Does anyone know the build schedule? Are they going to start on the final piers and the roadway as soon as the demo is past Simcoe?

Does anyone know the build schedule? Are they going to start on the final piers and the roadway as soon as the demo is past Simcoe?
There is only one pier to be finish off with the support already built for it from what I have seen of the site, with no provision for anymore. The top will be built once the site is clear and safe to do so. The same will happen for the ramp and be built to allow the last span of steel beam to sit on. Work should start in about 2 weeks, but don't hold me to that time frame. June will/could see the start of road work between Simcoe and York.

I am assuming that one lane will be open between York and Bay when work start on the ramp in that area and it will be backing up traffic badly. An area where 7/24 should take place.

Back