Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Solar panels and Wind Turbines cannot be used to replace baseload power unless and until Ontario has energy storage that will hold the resulting power for future use. That is do-able, but is not yet available in Ontario (though it may be soon)

That said, the PEC is a 550MW, expanding to 600MW facility.

Which works out to ~150 Wind Turbines.
Windmills cause cancer...

"...and we'll go back to solar, where they need a whole desert to get some energy to come out. You ever see a solar plant? By the way, I'm a big fan of solar. But they take 400, 500 acres of desert soil."

😼

Edit/Clarification: @prisecaru0 , et al…so that you know, whenever I am quoting His Hair Cheetos, I am doing it with the upmost mockery, scorn and contempt and not because I agree with him.

Last edited:
How many solar panels and wind turbines (the designs have improved) would be needed to replace the gas plant? In addition, the air conditioning to most of the buildings could be attached to the Enwave Deep Lake Water Cooling network.
Batteries can fill a similar peaker role as a gas plant. You won't be able to cram enough solar panels in the same footprint to replace the plant on its existing footprint.

According to WT website there eventually will be road (extension of Villiers) to New Cherry but I assume it will be built as the blocks on east side of New Cherry are developed. A temporary road seems an unnecessary expense to me.

View attachment 593755
One way in and out....hmmm.... a second Liberty Village traffic disaster in the making.

Emissions aside, I'd like to see the gas plant get taken down, purely for aesthetic reasons. It just looks like a giant sheet-metal shed.
Hearn is a kind of sculpted modernist hill in largely flat landscape, and has real architectural merit. It'd be great to see that side of the turning basin made more amenable, not less.

When it was planned, the fiberals promised it would have a beautiful design, then they quietly slashed the budget and built it ugly. I always thought it should be named after Dalton McGuinty to shame him.

The concern with air pollution from the Portlands Energy Centre makes me wonder w about the air quality for people living next to the Gardiner Expressway. Anyone care?

The concern with air pollution from the Portlands Energy Centre makes me wonder w about the air quality for people living next to the Gardiner Expressway. Anyone care?
Living within a few hundred meters of any busy road is bad for health and education outcomes. Makes one wonder why we want to pile all the density on the car sewers.

Omg, just look at all those emissions…
IMG_4608.jpeg
IMG_4607.jpeg
IMG_4617.jpeg

Roads = Car Sewers

😆

We have just reached another new level of peak Urban_Toronto.
6 and 8 lane arterials are car sewers. They aren't a place to force thousands of people to live. Maybe you have not seen what the alternative looks like so it seems natural to you.

Back