Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

East end residents trying to access the west bound Gardiner need to pack their patience. We are looking at two or three more years before the new on ramps are anywhere close to being complete.

The City of Toronto just listed the worst congested intersection today. Using a formula known as the travel time index (TTI), city officials can determine exactly how congested each major intersection is during the a.m. and p.m. rush hours compared to their most uncongested state – the middle of the night.

Three of Toronto's Top Ten Intersections with the most Traffic Congestion" in 2022 are in this area.​

1. Lake Shore Boulevard East & Lower Sherbourne Street
7. Lake Shore Boulevard East & Bay Street
10. Lake Shore Boulevard East & Parliament Street

The intersection of Lake Shore Boulevard East and Lower Sherbourne Street had the highest TTI during the a.m. and mid-day peak periods, however it only came in third during the evening rush hour.

Last edited:
East end residents trying to access the west bound Gardiner need to pack their patience. We are looking at two or three more years before the new on ramps are close to being close to being complete.

The City of Toronto just listed the worst congested intersection today. Using a formula known as the travel time index (TTI), city officials can determine exactly how congested each major intersection is during the a.m. and p.m. rush hours compared to their most uncongested state – the middle of the night.

Three of Toronto's Top Ten "Intersections with the most Traffic Congestion" in 2022 are in this area.​

The intersection of Lake Shore Boulevard East and Lower Sherbourne Street had the highest TTI during the a.m. and mid-day peak periods, however it only came in third during the evening rush hour.
As someone who walks around the neighbourhood a fair bit I am VERY surprised that the Lake Shore & Lower Sherbourne intersection is busier than the Lake Shore & Lower Jarvis one. In my opinion Lower Jarvis is FAR worse!

From Rocky the Rock Ripper's Twitter account

1673968263160.png

As someone who walks around the neighbourhood a fair bit I am VERY surprised that the Lake Shore & Lower Sherbourne intersection is busier than the Lake Shore & Lower Jarvis one. In my opinion Lower Jarvis is FAR worse!
Yeah, Front & Jarvis and Lake Shore & Jarvis seem to be the worst by far. But I only ever walk there, I wouldn't consider driving there except at mid-day under exceptional circumstances.

Reactions: DSC
East end residents trying to access the west bound Gardiner need to pack their patience. We are looking at two or three more years before the new on ramps are anywhere close to being complete.

Three of Toronto's Top Ten Intersections with the most Traffic Congestion" in 2022 are in this area.​

Saw television news interviews with stopped motorists at the #1 Lake Shore Boulevard East & Lower Sherbourne Street. Every single motorist was a single occupant, no one else just the driver.

Saw television news interviews with stopped motorists at the #1 Lake Shore Boulevard East & Lower Sherbourne Street. Every single motorist was a single occupant, no one else just the driver.
You sound surprised.

I sometimes wonder if we are deluding ourselves with our general push for better and more prevalent forms of transit that are not based on four wheels and a single occupant. Maybe Doug Ford is right?? And Jane Jacobs was delusional? Building roads seems so much easier then bringing well run, well funded, integrated transit with all the attributes we are looking for. We could just cash in all our transit chips and start the graders. There is probably even time to resurrect the Richview Expressway, maybe ram through the Scarborough Expressway as well....that should work well when the GTA's population exceeds 10 million in 2046.

I think you are always going to have those single occupant transit drivers, as long as it makes economic sense for them, and that economic equation includes direct costs (such as gas, parking etc) and indirect costs (average speed relative to the alternatives) and the comfort equation (which is me in my 4 wheels with all its accoutrements and privacy vs any other form of transit). In this present society there is a large segment of the population, maybe not reflected in these forums, who will ALWAYS choose 4 wheels over anything else, unless the economic equation tells them strongly otherwise.

And having a Doug Ford as Premier does not help.

It is actually really fast and easy to drive and park around most parts of downtown Toronto, if you're a little smart about timing. It should be a lot harder and more expensive!

Absolutely!

Let's make driving more expensive so that it's much harder for middle and lower class people to afford it.

Let' make it so only wealthier Torontonians can afford to drive and park in the city. So long as the rich aren't affected, let's make it harder for everyone else.

It's still too fast and easy. Let's make it hard and miserable... unless you have money.

Absolutely!

Let's make driving more expensive so that it's much harder for middle and lower class people to afford it.

Let' make it so only wealthier Torontonians can afford to drive and park in the city. So long as the rich aren't affected, let's make it harder for everyone else.

It's still too fast and easy. Let's make it hard and miserable... unless you have money.
That's not what anyone has said.

That's not what anyone has said.

Actually, that's EXACTLY what was just said...

"It is actually really fast and easy to drive and park around most parts of downtown Toronto, if you're a little smart about timing. It should be a lot harder and more expensive!"​

Evandyk is saying... it's really easy to drive and park downtown, it should be harder and more expensive.

The thing is if you make driving/parking more expensive you penalize only the middle and lower class. You have zero effect on the rich.

"It is actually really fast and easy to drive and park around most parts of downtown Toronto, if you're a little smart about timing. It should be a lot harder and more expensive!"​

Evandyk is saying... it's really easy to drive and park downtown, it should be harder and more expensive.

The thing is if you make driving/parking more expensive you penalize only the middle and lower class. You have zero effect on the rich.
The "fast and easy" part would affect the rich. I agree that making it more expensive isn't a good solution, but initiatives like more bike lanes and more dedicated streetcar lanes would certainly do the trick.

Huge parking rate increases, vehicle registration tax (exponentially increasing as vehicular size and weight increases), city congestion charging, highway charges, etc. etc. etc. You're being too reductionist here in stating that because it'll disproportionally affect a certain group, we shouldn't do anything at all. I would do all of the above and put all of that revenue directly into transit operations and expansion. Yes, the car side of the equation will be difficult for some, but having reliable, efficient, well maintained transit will also disproportionally assist those who then use it. It is fundamentally far too easy to drive in this city so the majority of people do. And I can't really blame them since it's basically:

40bfb6a76627032773450ddee967be36.jpg

As a non-uber rich person, I think we should still strive to make the incentive to take transit higher than the incentive to drive where possible for as many people as possible. I also think there are other things we should focus on to ensure fairness, instead than just whether very wealthy people can find a very expensive parking spot. Trying to limit that seems reactive and might take away from other areas where wealthier people aren't paying their fair share. Like, I don't know...property taxation, where they can hire expensive lawyers to ensure they pay less than regular homeowners, thus transferring the burden of taxation on to others via the mill rate shift?

If Manhattan is a decent parking example, there is parking in that location in those large underground ugly garages, where you sort of wait at the top while they retrieve your car for you. It's not pleasant, it's not exorbitantly expensive, but it is expensive. However, Manhattan offsets that with more incentive to take transit, with a ton of transit interconnectivity through commuter rail from NJT, the PATH trains, LIRR, Metro North, not to mention the subway. I don't really know any many people in NY and area that actually drive in to the city for commuting or otherwise.

Anyway I think my point is focusing our efforts to try to exclude even the wealthiest, takes away from other areas were we could be working to ensure fairness and equity. Maybe I am in the minority on that view, and probably quite OT (as often is the case).

It would effect me in the opposite actually. Since I can't really afford a car, places that would require a car to get to put's me at a disadvantage. So public transit and other means of transportation evens that playing field for me a bit...and since that class card is being laid down in bad faith, here.

Back