Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

This is really random, but can anyone speculate to when we might get a masterplan/development proponent for this site? Sometime in 2024? I am really anxious about what kind of development we will get here. We already have some kind of masterplan for the Portlands but it seems outdated given Tory's new housing incentive.

I expect that for the land the City owns (which, remember, is not all the land in this area -- see the image below), it will run separate RFP processes for different blocks, as it has on other large sites. I would think that the general construct of the existing masterplan/planning framework won't change much as a result of Tory's motion, save for bumping up the heights on some of the buildings.

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 4.15.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 4.15.51 PM.png

It's still likely gonna look more or less like this, at least in terms of the general size and shape of development blocks:

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 4.16.51 PM.png

I expect that for the land the City owns (which, remember, is not all the land in this area -- see the image below), it will run separate RFP processes for different blocks, as it has on other large sites.
And after the RFP process... I for one look forward to seeing the designs from the 5 different Danish architecture firms that will be creating the new community for DREAM.

End subsidized parking.​

From link.

Let’s say, for example, that the rent for an apartment also includes a parking space that costs $100 a month. The parking appears to be free, but if the rent was reduced by $100 a month and the parking was sold separately, how many people would still pay for it? Some would choose to pay for car storage and others would not — the net result would be less parking consumption than when the price of parking is hidden.

All these hidden parking costs add up to a huge subsidy for cars and driving.
In a new report (2017), Todd Litman, a transportation economist who studies the effects of subsidies for parking and roads at the Victoria Transport Policy Institute in British Columbia, estimates that the annualized cost of land, construction, maintenance, and operations per parking space in the U.S. comes out to $600 [PDF]. Since there are about four parking spaces per vehicle in America, the cost per car is $2,400 each year.
But most parking is “free,” so Americans only spend about $85 annually on parking per vehicle, according to Litman, meaning the annual parking subsidy per vehicle is more than $2,300. That exceeds what Americans spend on fuel.

“The implications are huge,” Litman told Streetsblog.

If we paid for parking directly instead, Litman projects that Americans would drive about 16 percent less. That equates to about 500 billion fewer miles per year.

I expect that for the land the City owns (which, remember, is not all the land in this area -- see the image below), it will run separate RFP processes for different blocks, as it has on other large sites. I would think that the general construct of the existing masterplan/planning framework won't change much as a result of Tory's motion, save for bumping up the heights on some of the buildings.

View attachment 451429
View attachment 451430

It's still likely gonna look more or less like this, at least in terms of the general size and shape of development blocks:

View attachment 451431
Thanks for the comprehensive reply, this clarified a lot. This is the first time I've heard of TPLC (Toronto Portlands company), they seem to be managing real-estate or are helping to facilitate development but are working with the city? Not sure how that will all work but thanks for this.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, this clarified a lot. This is the first time I've heard of TPLC (Toronto Portlands company), they seem to be managing real-estate or are helping to facilitate development but are working with the city? Not sure how that will all work but thanks for this.

TPLC is the wholly-owned City entity that owns all the land in that shade of blue (aqua?) in the image above -- it owns something like 400 acres of land in the Portlands writ large (which obviously extends beyond just Villiers). It long predates the establishment of CreateTO, but I believe the Create board members are cross-posted to TPLC.

From WT Website:

2022 Awarded Contracts

December​

• Compensation to CreateTO for dockwall damage for works related to the Commissioners Street bridge offloading process – CreateTO ($1,597,720) (Sole Source)
Was this expected or did someone run into their dockwall?

2023 CAPITAL BUDGET BRIEFING NOTE Projected 2022 Capital Budget Spend for All Waterfront Revitalization Initiative Projects and Potential Impacts of Capital Needs Constraints

I cannot see a GENERAL Waterfront Toronto thread so post this here. I have not yet read it but suspect it will be depressing!

^^^
Same old same old or are looking at something new here?
Yes looks the same on Google Maps on Sept 2021.

The underpass looks the same, however, if you look beyond the underpass to the intersection w/Lake Shore, there is a change vs google streetview.

Of course, irrespective of that, it's important to appreciate a fellow UT'er taking the time to snap and post a pic of the current state of things as they go about their daily business.

Back