Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The redevelopment of the Port Lands is unlikely to bring in more industry and the usage of it when there was more there was VERY low. I agree that it's a pity to move any heavy freight from rail to road but that boat (or train) has long sailed.

This from the Staff report:

Over the past 10 to 15 years, the main user of the Harbour Lead Line has been Toronto Water, with deliveries to the Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant. The last shipment to PortsToronto's 8 Unwin Avenue facility was in 2010. The last shipment to the CanRoof facility at 560 Commissioners Street was in 2014.
Regarding Toronto Water, where I live we stopped using trains years ago and now use pipes.

Working on the new Cherry/Lake Shore intersection.

PXL_20220324_193523888.MP.jpg

The redevelopment of the Port Lands is unlikely to bring in more industry and the usage of it when there was more there was VERY low. I agree that it's a pity to move any heavy freight from rail to road but that boat (or train) has long sailed.

This from the Staff report:

Over the past 10 to 15 years, the main user of the Harbour Lead Line has been Toronto Water, with deliveries to the Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant. The last shipment to PortsToronto's 8 Unwin Avenue facility was in 2010. The last shipment to the CanRoof facility at 560 Commissioners Street was in 2014.

It still serves the sewage treatment plant, which isn't going anywhere. Plus, it wouldn't be difficult to convert the ROW's land to green space or a trail in the future. Doing so would leave an interesting kink to the layout of the neighbourhood, rooted in history.

A neighbourhood with layers of history visible to visitors, such as train lines where they wouldn't normally be located in a greenfield development, is typically more interesting than one where everything is built to contemporary civil engineering and urban design specs.

Last edited:
It still serves the sewage treatment plant.
Not since 2018. The line was severed at the new Canada Post facility.

On another note, try as I might, I've never managed to find a photo of a freight train crossing into the median on Lake Shore. I would've thought rail enthusiasts would've jumped at such a sight back in the day.

The abandonment of the Harbour Lead Line rail spur is coming up at Executive Committee today for discussion and there are three letters in from cement companies saying that (despite what the staff Report says) they WERE not consulted about its removal and asking for this to be deferred. See attachments in http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2022.EX31.13 If they were not consulted it sounds remarkably sloppy, though none of them actually used it in the past.

EDIT:

Motions
1 - Motion to Defer Item moved by Councillor Paul Ainslie (Carried)
That consideration of the item be deferred until the May 4, 2022 meeting of Executive Committee.​

Last edited:
The abandonment of the Harbour Lead Line rail spur is coming up at Executive Committee today for discussion and there are three letters in from cement companies saying that (despite what the staff Report says) they WERE not consulted about its removal and asking for this to be deferred. See attachments in http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2022.EX31.13 If they were not consulted it sounds remarkably sloppy, though none of them actually used it in the past.

I found it hard to believe that St. Mary's and LaFarge were not consulted when they are named as participants in the city report (see below). And honestly, if it is so important, why haven't they used it for years?

---

To date, the City has consulted with numerous industry stakeholders and the City will continue to consult as the Strategy advances. Between August 2020 and February 2021, the project team met with fourteen (13) landowners, land users and agencies that included:
PortsToronto;
Citywide Goods Movement Team;
CreateTO;
Toronto Water;
Logistec Stevedoring (PortsToronto);
Pinewood Studios;
Cargill Deicing;
Atura Power (Portlands Energy Centre);
K+S Windsor Salt;
Lafarge Canada;
CRH Cement;
St Marys Cement; and
Battlefield Equipment Rental

AoD

Last edited:
I've got a question for you guys. I've had the pleasure (sarcastic font) of driving from the west end to lake shore E. lately. They've reduced the lanes going over the Don and demo-ing the south side. The only reference I could find about how they will be linking the 2 is this rendering. I guess I'm surprised because it looks a bit like the gardiner and I just assumed it was, bit now I'm thinking they obviously have to span that length and make the bridge a lot wider.
Is this still the plan? Are they really building a mini-gardiner to replace the existing bridge or has the plan changed since then?
2937-7260.jpg

Last edited:
They've combined parts of the Gardiner East project with the Port Lands Flood Protection project and Lakeshore East public realm project.To that end they have already torn down a large section of Gardiner East pictured in that render and are now working on widening the lake shore bridge over the Don.
See here for more info.

Back