Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

what's up with that yellow light at the top of the MET condos?
is that the reflection from the Hudson Bay logo at Bloor/yonge?

He's talking about the yellow reflection on the windows, not the turquoise lighting feature.

Details make a building work, well the main problem I have with this building is it's confused. What is its real essence about? At any rate, this section of the building will not have to be replaced in 15 years.

311nc.jpg

But maybe this section will?

320xoh.jpg

Details make a building work, well the main problem I have with this building is it's confused. What is its real essence about? At any rate, this section of the building will not have to be replaced in 15 years.

I agree with the confused comment. I was looking at it today - and for me the thing that really takes away from the design is the asymmetrical east elevation. IMO the creases or facets in the glass should have been symmetrical. I think in architecture as in nature we value symmetry.

If your referring to the marble cladding, obviously if done right it'll last a life time.
And while it may be considered part of the site the only interior connection between Bishop's Block and the main building is an underground passageway(at least that's all I could find when I payed the site a visit).

I wish they had carried the glossy white stone around to the front, instead of using that sandy coloured stone.

Details make a building work, well the main problem I have with this building is it's confused. What is its real essence about?

I wish they had carried the glossy white stone around to the front, instead of using that sandy coloured stone.

I completely agree that parts of the base feel disconnected and unsure of what they want to be. I just took a walk around this afternoon and can't understand why they decided to go with two types of marble cladding. I love the rich black veining of the white marble, and I think that the beige marble on its own looks good as well, but why mix the two?? I feel that it's going to turn out looking sloppy, and really want to see how they treat that portion of the facade on Adelaide between the white and beige marble sections.

6371487421_745a2f6eee_z.jpg

6371490737_d466fbc802_z.jpg

6371497893_d8e3a98f8f_z.jpg

I know it was mentioned before - I too like the green meshing colour on the Festival tower.

SHANGRI-LA-20-11-2011-2.jpg

When the sun hits the glass it gives Shangri-la a totally different look.
SHANGRI-LA-20-11-2011-3.jpg

Last edited:
They're just on 65 now.

From the pics, my guess on the different coloured marble is that the white marble will be the background for the Shangri-La logo and sign, so the white is intended to to make it stand out form the rest of the building like a billboard (that wouldn't happen if there was more white marble on the tower).

Back