Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Recent pics

4548925571_a20b27e4c2_b.jpg

4549559858_2863d210c7_b.jpg

Wow - thanks for those pics Red Mars! Yonge & the Esplanade will never look the same...

Looks like a much more complex demo/excavation job than most in the city. There's a lot of junk down there! This building won't start rising until probably very late this year.

Looks like a much more complex demo/excavation job than most in the city. There's a lot of junk down there! This building won't start rising until probably very late this year.

What makes you think it's particularly complicated? They appear to have demolished all of the Sony Centre's old 'west wing' right to its lowest level and are now driving piles and are busy excavating. The building does not have a deep basement as most (all?) parking is at the 5-7 The Esplanade building so I doubt it will take that long to see things starting to go up.

In fact, the new podium -- or lack thereof -- will make the building look like it's teetering on a sharp point, almost like a balancing pen.

Construction Full speed ahead

DSC00132.jpg
:)

That was a great aerial shot Spacemonkey!

Attachments

• DSC00132.jpg
    DSC00132.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
I'm not sure it's improved but at least the tower portion is getting built.

Not only was the podium beautiful, it made the new building publicly accessible. What's being built is a private condo in a part of the city that needs all the public spaces that it can get.

We haven't seen any details as to what's going on the first floor of the L tower but what I can guess from the information that was made available is that it's just a lobby for the condo.

What makes you think it's particularly complicated? They appear to have demolished all of the Sony Centre's old 'west wing' right to its lowest level and are now driving piles and are busy excavating. The building does not have a deep basement as most (all?) parking is at the 5-7 The Esplanade building so I doubt it will take that long to see things starting to go up.

The city reports I've seen show three basement levels which is deep enough.

... but isn't there going to be a public plaza in front?

Who's going to hang out in the public square? It's not much larger than the wide sidewalks along Front st. in that area. It's in front of a condo lobby, I suspect it'll have as much or less use as the micro-square in front of the Four Seasons Centre.

That said, I'm very very happy the tower is being built regardless. It'll break the glass ceiling we have in Toronto that limits our architecture to flat topped boxes.

Back