Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I assume that will be a 'Green Apple' Martini?

apple-martini.jpg

Firstly, I just took a wild guess and stuck the L-Tower where I felt it should go. LOL

I did design the render assuming the tower was parallel to Yonge Street. So, going with my original positioning of the tower, I figured you would see the south face.

Looking at Redroom's cool line-of-sight map, I'm with him on this one. Not just because I did the render, but if you square up his little green rectangle with Yonge Street, the yellow arrow would certainly intersect the south side.

But Whatevs! LOL It's fun to speculate. We shall see in a few years. Let's hope Brian Wolk still lives in Montage and we can ask him to take a picture when L-Tower is up.

Last edited:
You should both stick in your iPhone calenders: Green Martini for me, Feb 26th, 2013 as per l tower discussion in 2010 and post on UT re conclusion.
:)

Last edited:
Does anyone have a recent photo at the site? How's work proceeding? The most recent photos are almost a month old now. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00074-20100308-1508.jpg
    IMG00074-20100308-1508.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG00066-20100302-1451.jpg
    IMG00066-20100302-1451.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG00075-20100308-1511.jpg
    IMG00075-20100308-1511.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 409
Not that I'm not all-for the L-Tower in all its Libeskind glory, but as Earl C. Morgan recounted in 1960: "All architecture beyond a one-man office is a matter of team work and this building must have had one of the largest teams ever employed on a building in Canada..." - how many people out of Danny's office have been assigned to the tower which is to sit astride the former O'Keefe? Hyperbole, historic or not aside, I can imagine that it's not 'the largest team assigned to a tower," no?

Does anyone have any pics depicting both L Tower and 5-7 Esplanade together? I'm curious as to how they will relate to each other, as they are very close to each other. Will 5-7 Esplanade (is that really the name/address of that tower? Will they not just choose one of the numbers? it seems so unwieldy.) totally block the south view? I have a west view, so it doesn't look like it will be affected, but I've heard rumblings that another site on the west side of yonge might be developed too. Does anyone know about that?

Shoring will start within a few days and excavation will follow.

How about some photo updates Cityzen? You've got the best vantage point of all.

Does anyone have any pics depicting both L Tower and 5-7 Esplanade together? I'm curious as to how they will relate to each other, as they are very close to each other. Will 5-7 Esplanade (is that really the name/address of that tower? Will they not just choose one of the numbers? it seems so unwieldy.) totally block the south view? I have a west view, so it doesn't look like it will be affected, but I've heard rumblings that another site on the west side of yonge might be developed too. Does anyone know about that?

Hi Riley, answers:

Khristopher's right, Castlepoint hasn't released any renders yet that will fill your request, but we are expecting some renders next week of at least 5-7 The Esplande. I hope we will be treated to one that pictures both projects, but it may be too much to ask for at the moment!

We do not know what 5-7 The Esplanade will eventually be called, or what its final address will be, but it will get both a name and a new address.

A direct south view from some L Tower apartments will be into 5-7 The Esplanade, but that building will be skinny enough that one will be able to see the lake around it when close to the windows.

In regards to the west view, you might want to visit Hariri Pontarini's website to get a look at the 1 Front Street (West) Concept plan. As the title of the plan says, this is a concept only, merely an exercise to determine what type of project might work there in there in the future. To quote from the website,

This site is located between Bay Street and Yonge Street, immediately north of the rail corridor. It is bordered on the north by the Dominion Public Building at 1 Front Street and on the south by the rail corridor. The site has direct access to Union Station via a†pedestrian bridge over Bay Street that connects onto Platform 1. Pedestrian access is also available from Bay and Yonge Street. The site is a five minute walk from the centre of the commercial and employment area in the downtown financial district. The potential for this site is to have a mixed use appeal, not only as a transit hub, but combining corporate office space, retail locations and a hotel/residential component will add much needed diverse density to the area.

That study was done quite a few years ago now, and nothing has been heard since, so who knows when the next rumblings regarding that site will occur.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Back