Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

So based on the fact that last year they re-did the landscaping and streetscape along the Front Street side of the Sony Centre, is it safe to say they've cut the budget so that the Claude Cormier design for the Yonge Street side doesn't extend around the whole property?

ps. Here's a link to the mockup for the sculptures going on the new plaza:
http://harleyvalentinestudio.tumblr.com/post/145258801719/dream-ballet-model-2016

KNyNZBt.jpg

Last edited:
So based on the fact that last year they re-did the landscaping and streetscape along the Front Street side of the Sony Centre, is it safe to say they've cut the budget so that the Claude Cormier design for the Yonge Street side doesn't extend around the whole property?

The Plaza at Front & Yonge (designed by Cormier) was never going to be larger. The Sony Centre itself is looking after the rest, in 2015 they did the Front Street side and will, one hopes, do the Scott Street side soon.

The Plaza at Front & Yonge (designed by Cormier) was never going to be larger. The Sony Centre itself is looking after the rest, in 2015 they did the Front Street side and will, one hopes, do the Scott Street side soon.

Did you note the image above? It shows a schematic design in which the design of the L-Tower plaza continued around the entire Sony Centre property. At one point, that must have been the plan.

The new streetscape along Yonge does not follow this design, but is a more standard City of Toronto sidewalk with trees.

Did you note the image above? It shows a schematic design in which the design of the L-Tower plaza continued around the entire Sony Centre property. At one point, that must have been the plan.

The new streetscape along Yonge does not follow this design, but is a more standard City of Toronto sidewalk with trees.
Yes, it must have been the original plan but the plaza was to be paid for and done by the L-Tower folk and the Front & Scott sides by the Sony. I guess the projects drifted apart. (Though I heard that the City got so fed up with the L-Tower Plaza delays that they took back the actual work under their control.)

Seen many videos of random citizens going a top buildings under construction in the city doing this and hanging off the buildings no safety gear. Is the not security for this? Mind you it be a thrill and all. But just curious. How do regular people get up there to do this? Ok don't post that answer. But this has become a new trend I've noticed on tube all around the world. Guess when one of them fall off is when they will make buildings under construction more secure.

Some of these roof toppers have already fallen to their deaths. I regretfully decided to watch one video and I can't unsee it. It's enough to know that some have died doing this. You don't have to watch the video.

I seem to recall reading that the Scott Street side couldn't be done until the crane had been removed. Recently I have seen people in hard hats on the Scott street side looking at pavers and the stairs, so hopefully the new pavers and trees will show up soon. I wonder if they are actually going to add the "crystal" part that hung off the Sony over the Scott street side.

The building is really filthy. Now that the crane is down, hopefully a cleaning comes real quick.
Wasn't the whole crane saga to do with getting the window washing gantry up and working? (They might also want to finish off the 'siding' over the plaza and along Yonge Street and finish the sidewalk on The Esplanade.

Views from the 44th Floor.

IMG_9810.JPG
IMG_9814.JPG
IMG_9815.JPG
IMG_9811.JPG
IMG_9813.JPG
IMG_9816.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9810.JPG
    IMG_9810.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 1,206
  • IMG_9814.JPG
    IMG_9814.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 1,174
  • IMG_9815.JPG
    IMG_9815.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 1,164
  • IMG_9811.JPG
    IMG_9811.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 1,165
  • IMG_9813.JPG
    IMG_9813.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 1,160
  • IMG_9816.JPG
    IMG_9816.JPG
    523.7 KB · Views: 1,189
That third picture down is amazing, Edward. What a view! 88 Scott really bulks up that view too!

Back