Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Pretty sure the L is for Libeskind. As for the shape, the 'L' can refer to the Esplanade side, looking north.

L-Tower.jpg

The old boot would have been located north of the tower, so it would have been a backwards 'L' anyways when viewed from Yonge and Front, which is really the most prominent angle.

Nice pic!

L Tower really does have a nice presence looking down Yonge, even from as far north as Bloor.

Nice pic!

L Tower really does have a nice presence looking down Yonge, even from as far north as Bloor.

Saw it from Bloor yesterday (I don't venture that far north very often, at least not on the surface), and you're right, looks great all the way up Yonge to Bloor. I thought I'd be blocked at some point, but there's a clear sight line the whole way.

why the glass on front and back is more shiney as compare to the sides?

The glass on the south side is the same window wall cladding being used on the east and west facades. The north is a curtain wall glazing with a more reflective finish than the multi-textured window wall on the south east and west facades.

I'm sure this has been brought up (sorry for not reading back in the thread), but the top few floors on the south side are just too out of sync with the rest of the building for me. It almost looks like a patch job awaiting the real deal.

You mean the vents for the mechanical penthouse?

Being voted on at Council this week:

MM54.40
ACTION

Ward:28

Sony Centre for the Performing Arts, Heritage Easement Agreement Upgrades - by Councillor Pam McConnell, seconded by Councillor Gary Crawford

* This Motion has been deemed urgent by the Chair.
* This Motion is not subject to a vote to waive referral. This Motion has been added to the agenda and is before Council for debate.

Recommendations

Councillor Pam McConnell, seconded by Councillor Gary Crawford, recommends that:

1. City Council authorize the City to add the Heritage Easement Agreement upgrade to restore the sidewalk/pavers on the exterior of the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts by the end of September 2014, in an amount not to exceed $0.740 million net of HST recoveries, to the scope of work to be performed by Ferncastle (Front Street) Inc. on behalf of the City, inclusive of all related costs including obtaining a minimum of three quotes for all sub-contract work.

2. City Council direct the City Solicitor and City officials to take whatever steps are necessary to implement Recommendation 1, including the entering into of agreements on terms and conditions satisfactory to the City Manager, or his designate, and in a form satisfactory to the City Solicitor.

Summary

In October 2013, by adoption of agenda item EX34.17, City Council approved the addition of a project entitled "Sony Centre Public Plaza" for $1.0 million in the Sony Centre's 2013 Approved Capital Budget funded by $0.7 million from the developer known as Ferncastle (Front Street) Inc. (the "Developer") and $0.3 million from development charge funds designated for civic improvements. This work is to be completed as part of the remaining work to be done on the Developer's adjacent condominium.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.EX34.17

In January 2014, City Council approved the 2014 Capital Budget for the Sony Centre including $1.205 million for Heritage Easement Agreement upgrades to the Sony Centre's exterior, including:

a. Exterior limestone and granite cladding upgrades to be phased in over two years.

b. Sidewalk/pavers restoration repairs.

c. Restoration of the east side exterior and grounds to its original state after removing the temporary dressing rooms.

Given that the Developer for the Public Plaza project is already on site, adding the restoration repairs for sidewalk/pavers (i.e. Part "b" above) to the scope of work to be completed for the Public Plaza, including obtaining a minimum of three quotations for all sub-contract work by the Developer, is a cost effective way of ensuring the required restoration of sidewalk/pavers is completed by the end of September 2014. This will ensure that the balance of the construction work is completed in advance of the Pan Am Games, and in order to reduce any impact to Sony Centre operations.

City of Toronto Facilities staff will be providing oversight and contract management services for the Sony Theatre.

(Submitted to City Council on July 8 and 9, 2014 as MM54.40) PASSED

Last edited:
Yep--perhaps it's an engineering necessity, I wouldn't know. But just aesthetically, it looks quite bad.

Hey, yeah, I'm with you. Mechanical Vents are the bane of my skyscraper enthusiasm. This tower has turned out very well, but I agree, the vents leave something to be desired.

Back