Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Sidewall venting is trickier and there are more design considerations involved so it makes sense for them to exhaust it the way they did here. If you've seen some sidewall vent installations, the side of the building around the termination tends to be all stained. In general, you also can't sidewall vent directly above a public space. Condensation could also drip out. It's much more limiting than just running them straight up and out.

Just to be clear on this, the final top row of the north side won't be filled with cladding? Are they going to cover up the concrete somehow?

May 18, 2014

14169802780_0454545cc3_z.jpg

Attachments

• 14169802780_0454545cc3_z.jpg
    14169802780_0454545cc3_z.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,661
What a beautiful evening it's been.

P1390567.jpg

Attachments

• P1390567.jpg
    P1390567.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 3,381
Thanks for posting the picture. See a line of metal clips.. not sure if they are used for mounting the top row of windows. Will look cool at night if there are trendy lighting at the rooftop :)

The only lighting up there I fear will be those red aircraft obstruction lights

The exhaust chimneys, coupled with the poor handling of the venting on the south facade (which I pointed out a while ago), perfectly demonstrates one area that Toronto fails miserably at. I understand a building needs to function as a building, but often the necessary utilities are handled with the same one-size-fits-all attitude. I'm certain the clever minds behind designs like this could've come up with a multitude of attractive or unique solutions, but instead we're stuck with some off-the-shelf piping and a compromised roofline.

I know, I know; it's not done yet. Hopefully I eat my words on this one, but somehow I get the sinking feeling that we'll be stuck with this stopgap solution. Just like the "bottlecaps" on the Absolute World towers.

If that's the case, I find that totally unacceptable. How can a developer put so much effort into the design but overlook a detail like that? It's just unbelievable to me. It's like that crow's nest on Trump. It baffles me that these things happen. There is no excuse why these design flaws are not taken into account and solutions found.

If that's the case, I find that totally unacceptable. How can a developer put so much effort into the design but overlook a detail like that? It's just unbelievable to me. It's like that crow's nest on Trump. It baffles me that these things happen. There is no excuse why these design flaws are not taken into account and solutions found.

Crow's nest, there's another perfect example of what I'm talking about. Although some would argue, myself included, that Trump was doomed from the start.

Back