Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Skyjacked what floor is the tower at now? and how much more until its fully topped off?

I think that roof topping ceremony was for the top residential level slab, there's still the mechanical, window washing apparatus construction and roof peak yet to go so another 2 or 3 levels?

I think that roof topping ceremony was for the top residential level slab, there's still the mechanical, window washing apparatus construction and roof peak yet to go so another 2 or 3 levels?

Not to mention who knows how long it will be before we see any of the roof peak go up. HVAC and what not will take a bit of time as is.

It would ROCK if they had a tasteful, subtle LED lighting feature on those top 4 or 5 non-residential levels which illuminate in every direction, or at least north and south. Something that would have helped The Ritz a bit (or their illuminated logo) would have been a rooftop lighting feature.

King George Square

A friend of mine sent me some pictures of the L Tower she took today from King George Square. What a beautiful sight!

8213828197_ae1a1c1ca2_b.jpg

8214914462_05cbdc1db8_b.jpg

I really like the white edging that goes up the corner of the building, I'm not sure if that's reflection but it looks really crisp and clean.

I wonder if they're going to use actual curved pieces of glass to make the curve (so that's its seamless) or just use straight pieces that gradually change their angle.

Last edited:
yup! L tower looks best from the east. not only is it a slimmer tower, but it fits in perfectly with the rest of the CBD towers. (and stands out at the same time in a huge way)

and ya, the cladding looks great from a distance. it'll be interesting to see how the white-blind effect destroys the tower as it does with all. (or. maybe it'll add to the look of it with white pixels complimenting the white strips that run up the tower.. who knows!)

More pics from the east taken this morning (Nov. 24, 2012):

IMG_0673.jpg

It was a beautiful crisp clear blue sky morning, so I couldn't resist taking more shots..

IMG_0577.jpg

In the image below, it looks like Market Wharf's red removal crane and Berczy's yellow crane are saluting the L-Tower:

IMG_0644.jpg

and last, but not least, a look at SkyJacked's office:

IMG_0691.jpg

Razz, are you I'm the distillery district? Your views are incredible

Thanks. I am indeed in the Distillery. Pure Spirits tower actually (27th floor), north-west corner unit. The views are really something, especially at night.

i'm guessing the water tank is to reduce sway in the building right?...

Stay with me for a moment, I’ll get to the water tank.

DSCN0585_edit.jpg

(Edit by Udo)

I was drawn to this forum by all of the incredible pictures and unique information in this thread. I watched for over a year checking in often to see what was new.

At some point I thought I could throw in a picture or two, no big deal. I wasn’t prepared for what happened next. The matter of answering questions from the forum hadn`t been properly considered. I wasn’t prepared for the popularity of the pictures either. That just meant I needed more and better pictures.
(Thanks everyone for the kind words)
20121121_114245_edit.jpg

(Edit by Udo)

Some questions I don`t want to answer, like who I am or what I do professionally.

DSCN0632.jpg

Isn’t the internet supposed to be anonymous?

DSCN1161.jpg

Other questions I shouldn't try answer because I only have some information, like when I addressed the water tank. That just meant I needed more and better answers.

Even when I interviewed the plumbing superintendent, I forgot to ask how much water it holds.

I do know that the tank has one primary function and that is to contain a structure-TLD system or a Tuned Liquid Damper.

Inside the tank technicians will install a lining and a sophisticated computer controlled dampening system to reduce lateral motion in the building. It does have an emergency connection to the fire protection system¸

DSCN1095.jpg

but its considered minor compared to the 400 psi leaving the pump in the basement.

DSCN1167.jpg

There are two pumps shown covered with white tarps.

There is no potable water in the tank and there is no connection anywhere in the TLD system to the
residential water supply.
Residential water is pumped in a separate system from the same room in the basement where the fire system pump is. Water is pumped up the tower to starting at 350 psi, entering several pressure reduction nodes. I call them “nodes†because I wasn’t given an actual technical name for them.

DSCN1026_edit.jpg

(Edit by Udo)

Even the water in highest suites is reduced to 75 psi from more than twice that pressure in the system.
This picture shows the first reduction of the main potable water supply line from 6†to 4â€, going thruogh and just beneath the 55th floor.

DSCN1030_edit.jpg

(Edit by Udo)

There is still one more reduction node to be installed above the one shown on 54.

I hope that covers the water tank. It’s interesting, but not much fun.

This is fun

DSCN0498_edit.jpg

(Edit by Udo)

And this, more fun.

DSCN0696_edit.jpg

(Edit by Udo)

And this... you decide.

DSCN0973_edit.jpg

(Edit by Udo)

Back