Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I know that obviously the developers know what they're doing, but I'm amazed that the angle of that top load-bearing pillar provides enough structural integrity not only for that floor but any more floors above it.

A friend and I were looking at that & discussing it a few days ago, he was really impressed (I am too!). Another cool engineering feat is the first few floors of the south-west corner as can mostly be seen in the photo above.

I'm definitely prefering the nice clean, purely vertical lines of the north (and presumably south) face a lot more than the mix of vertical and horizontal lines on the west and east faces. I almost find myself wishing the the cladding was the same style on all 4 sides or that the east and west were a solid blue. Right now they strike me as a bit busy but I'll stay tuned to see how the rest of it plays out...

I was walking down Front Street yesterday and overheard a man mention to his girlfriend, presumably, that it looked as though the tower was leaning over at the top, to which she replied it was probably an illusion. Outside of this forum, I suspect that a lot of Torontonians have no clue what, exactly, is going up. There are going to be a lot of heads turning and peering skyward when this thing tops out.

should have told her to look at the skeletal structure to see its quite obvious its supose to look that way. its funny how people look past obvious things

... the L Tower & Backstage Construction Information website posted some very interesting photos for us:
http://ltowerconstructioninfo.com/2012/07/25/update-on-tunnel-boring-machine-crane-removal/

Thought it was so cool that I'd post the pictures here.

img_9307.jpg

img_9316.jpg

img_9322.jpg

tunnel-boring-machine-lifting-in.jpg

tunnel-borng-machine-lowered-into-place.jpg

Outside of this forum, I suspect that a lot of Torontonians have no clue what, exactly, is going up. There are going to be a lot of heads turning and peering skyward when this thing tops out.

It's great that people are noticing this unique building but I think most Torontonians know that everything under construction are those dreaded condos, even though it's not accurate. That's what I hear from friends and family who are less informed about what's being built ("condos everywhere...").

It's great that people are noticing this unique building but I think most Torontonians know that everything under construction are those dreaded condos, even though it's not accurate. That's what I hear from friends and family who are less informed about what's being built ("condos everywhere...").

I think it's that general perception among the public that condos are nothing more than bland space-occupiers that will cause people to be especially surprised at the unique design that is emerging at this site. The general populace needs to learn that condo architecture doesn't have to be boring and uninspiring.

Horizontal Lines

I'm definitely prefering the nice clean, purely vertical lines of the north (and presumably south) face a lot more than the mix of vertical and horizontal lines on the west and east faces. I almost find myself wishing the the cladding was the same style on all 4 sides or that the east and west were a solid blue. Right now they strike me as a bit busy but I'll stay tuned to see how the rest of it plays out...

Now that the cladding on the east face is catchoing up, I noticed that the horizontal white lines aren't as wide and dominant there compared to what we have seen so far on the west and south faces.

7653579686_9a55fced58_b.jpg

This made me think that the design pattern of the horizontal lines might be different on each side. Taking a walk around the L tower I was surprised to find out it is actually the same on each side (except the north face of course), but that beginning around the 10th floor the horizontal lines start to be much thinner and not as noticeable.

7653584572_2f5bd449db_z.jpg
7653582150_38f3f0dbcc_z.jpg

The horizontal spandrel is thicker on those floors because the floor slabs are thicker on those floors due to the building cantilevering out over the southwest corner.

Floor Slabs

The horizontal spandrel is thicker on those floors because the floor slabs are thicker on those floors due to the building cantilevering out over the southwest corner.

Good point. I did not notice until now. Look at the right (south east) corner of the building and it becomes pretty obvious.

7655716646_f676f4ab2a_o.jpg

For the same reason Ramako mentions, they also need thicker slabs on those floors, where the corner columns change angle. You can see this clearly on one of the pictures someMidTowner posted rescently:

Last edited:
I was walking down Front Street yesterday and overheard a man mention to his girlfriend, presumably, that it looked as though the tower was leaning over at the top, to which she replied it was probably an illusion. Outside of this forum, I suspect that a lot of Torontonians have no clue what, exactly, is going up. There are going to be a lot of heads turning and peering skyward when this thing tops out.

This has been my experience as well. I've had to explain the the building is meant to look that way at least 6 or 7 times I've passed by it with family/friends.

We'll have to see how ICE turns out but I'm starting to think this will be my favorite building during this cycle.

Back