Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Talk of bike trains on Yonge has ben moved to this thread.

I know this is premature but... Dying to see cladding.

ME TOO! though it's months away unfortunately (same with Aura),
that shot of caltrane's is really getting me excited. the steep angle of those corner pillars is a skyscrapergeek turn on. and this arch/inverted V shaped entrance is going to be multiple stories high, so it'll be a powerful entrance!

from sat
20110423136.jpg

20110423140.jpg

20110423138.jpg

The northern crane is, as promised, being removed 'as we speak". As soon as the site is cleared and the 'crane-well' filled in they will waterproof the Sony Centre patio and start interior work on the Sony areas below. These are supposed to be open by September 1. (I do not know if the patio will also be open to the public then, I suspect not completely as the L-Tower construction will still be going on at the south end of it.)

Check out the homepage incase you guys didn't already. L tower is the showcase today :D!
I've got high hopes for this tower. It's been quite a journey too from the original design to now.

This angle ROCKS! looks like more of a museum than anything!
LTowerSWEntry750.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/content.php?1736-Construction-Gets-Interesting-at-Libeskind-s-L-Tower-Condos

I'm almost positive this is an outdated rendering. It appears that the south west entrance won't have that canoe shape. If you look closely at the new and old renderings you can see in the newer ones that this entrance will straight, angled lines. You can also tell by the way the rebar is angled as of now. I could have sworn I saw a rendering that depicted this entrance like so.

I'm almost positive this is an outdated rendering. It appears that the south west entrance won't have that canoe shape. If you look closely at the new and old renderings you can see in the newer ones that this entrance will straight, angled lines. You can also tell by the way the rebar is angled as of now. I could have sworn I saw a rendering that depicted this entrance like so.

Exactly. In the rendering, the columns framing the cutout come out of the ground almost vertically. In reality, the built columns are already at a steep angle coming out of the ground.

I am not sure it was cheapening exactly in this case. More likely because of proportions.

When the toe of the boot was lopped off, this arch no longer needed to be as high to visually match the tip of the toe on the boot. However making the arch smaller probably did save money in reinforcing for the tower, because now less of the above tower had to be cantilevered. So, to better proportion the base with the missing toe, they needed a smaller arch, the benefit was cheaper construction.

All of that is just my wild guess.

(BTW This is my one thousandth post WOOHOO!)

Last edited:
I wonder what else they've cheapened.

Probably the glass. This had the chance to be one of the best looking buildings in the city, but I lost all excitement when the boot was dropped. You knew it had to be too good to be true for Toronto. Of course the interiors will look great. I wish developers put just as much attention into the exteriors of our condos.

Guys jumping ship already? It was never the boot or the arch-entrance that was going to make this building.
Its the massive curved slant on the north face that will be iconic.

Back