Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

Here is my first trip from my first bus trip to the Hub and TTC Station on opening day.
The craziest thing about this is, even with that ridiculously long walk between terminals, you still have to go outside to switch between the two.

It reminds me a lot of the Skywalk, only a lot less interesting. A bunch of ups and downs along the way, and only gets you 80% of the way there before it dumps you outside.

The switch to Kipling was necessary as there were too many Miway buses at Islington.
That partly true, but it was the structural issue with the terminal road slab over the concourse going back as far as 2008 when TTC wanted to tear the terminal down then.

Kipling was more slow for turn around than Kennedy from my point of view and nothing to do with buses at Islington at all.

I'm not sure what the union has to do with this, they would pay overtime regardless.

I'd say they pad the schedules to reduce paying overtime when there are delays, even though this means paying for operators and trains to sit in line at terminals, since paying OT looks bad to management. and so does having operators finishing their shift a bit early.
They would pressure TTC to write schedules in favour for workers instead of customers. Things such as moving to one person train operation would reduce delays but they would protest those measures.
The craziest thing about this is, even with that ridiculously long walk between terminals, you still have to go outside to switch between the two.

It reminds me a lot of the Skywalk, only a lot less interesting. A bunch of ups and downs along the way, and only gets you 80% of the way there before it dumps you outside.
That's not a permanent thing. Until they open that blocked off tunnel as seen in the video, you'll be stuck going outside. However, for accessibility they would still force to go outside as there's no elevators from the TTC concourse to the platform. What I don't get is why they keep those doors close. Those annoying heavy doors are even worse when you have to push/pull them during this covid time. It reduces traffic flow and are prone to breaking down. They should have gone for sliding doors in my option.

You only have to go outside at this time as the tunnel is not finish unless you need the elevator to both terminals. Once the tunnel is finish, you have a short walk outside to/from the bus to/from the terminal like TTC Kipling bus terminal. Otherwise, underground and cover to/from TTC subway platform.

That what happens when 30,000 riders leave the station in the good time, let alone today. Bulk of riders for Islington was Mississauga riders. With Mississauga Riders getting on at Kipling, the chances of finding a seat will be slim picking now for an eastbound train at Islington.

With Mississauga gone, will the rest of the retail close their doors before TTC tell them to go with very few riders to support them?

It will be interesting to see what ridership maybe by 2025 with the completion of the 3 Islington Towers by Tridel and affordable housing on TTC land. Don't expect to see many riders from the tower where the Beer store is.
I hadn't thought about that part. Has more retail been added to Kipling station? I believe no from what I've seen in video walkthrough.

I hadn't thought about that part. Has more retail been added to Kipling station? I believe no from what I've seen in video walkthrough.
There was no plan for Kipling to have retail from day one that I know of. If you put in a Tim's, it will busy at various times, but not all the times. The driver will love that since they can get a cup before leaving than trying to grab something along the route.

Food draws birds and not welcome.

There was no plan for Kipling to have retail from day one that I know of. If you put in a Tim's, it will busy at various times, but not all the times. The driver will love that since they can get a cup before leaving than trying to grab something along the route.

Food draws birds and not welcome.
I thought there was already a tims nearby? Having another one although wouldn’t be trouble since i know a couple of areas that has 3+ tims around, but for this instance having another one could completely draw away a significant portion of customers from the existing location

Here is my first trip from my first bus trip to the Hub and TTC Station on opening day.

I love the hurried feel of the fast version.

My sentiments echo everyone else's - nice to have an underground walk, but it's long, with poor implementation of the subway connection. There should've been a direct connection to the TTC without having to go outside.

I'd rather have the few flights of stairs at Islington, and the birds to keep me company.

The reason given for the long tunnel was that Hydro One Limited was against having any structures on their property.

Unlike the "good old days" of when Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario operated Hydro-Electric Railways between 1914 and 1946. See link. They would have allowed public transit use of their corridors.

I love the hurried feel of the fast version.

My sentiments echo everyone else's - nice to have an underground walk, but it's long, with poor implementation of the subway connection. There should've been a direct connection to the TTC without having to go outside.

I'd rather have the few flights of stairs at Islington, and the birds to keep me company.
You will only have to deal with the outside for the next few weeks until they finish off the section from the PPUDO to TTC fare area that will have a ramp in place of the old stairs if you don't need the use of an elevator.

Will not be lost seeing no birds.

I thought there was already a tims nearby? Having another one although wouldn’t be trouble since i know a couple of areas that has 3+ tims around, but for this instance having another one could completely draw away a significant portion of customers from the existing location
Yes there is a Tim's/Wendy at the corner of Aukland and Dundas. It requires you to walk outside the terminals to get to it and back at a lost of 20 minutes or so if you only want a cup of X.

A Tim's or X inside of the Hub would be mainly for a cup of X and maybe something quick to eat like a muffin/donut. Mainly for something to drink.

That's not a permanent thing. Until the open that blocked off tunnel as seen in the video, you'll be stuck going outside. However, for accessibility they would still force to go outside as there's no elevators from the TTC concourse to the platform. What I don't get is why they keep those doors close. Those annoying heavy doors are even worst when you have to push/pull them during this covid time. It reduces traffic flow and are prone to breaking down. They should have gone for sliding doors in my option.
Thanks, I wasn't aware that there was still more to come. That's a bit better at least.

And for something this long, it would be really nice if they implemented a moving walkway. I know there are maintenance issues associated, but it would be really nice to have.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that there was still more to come. That's a bit better at least.

And for something this long, it would be really nice if they implemented a moving walkway. I know there are maintenance issues associated, but it would be really nice to have.

At the very least, spit the walkway moving sidewalks into two. So that if one goes out of service for maintenance, we don't have to walk the entire tunnel. For both, Kipling and Spadina, and any other long walkways.

Maybe even for the Skywalk, one of these centuries. Split into sections.

Back