Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

If Line 2 is ever extended west they could build a new Kipling platform in between the 2 bus terminals.
Sorry but a dumb idea since the line out of Kipling has to slope to get under CP tracks to the new yard as well get past the condo to the west of it or up to Dundas. There are currently 2 trail tacks that will become 3 later this year. On top of that, that one short distance between 2 station and major disruption for the new terminal as well a waste of money doing it. Cloverdale the best option for everyone.

They could also just not pad the Subway schedules so the trains don't constantly arrive at the terminals early, then have to wait for the trains in front to leave before entering.
Part of the issue, is the TTC's idiotic and antiquated manner in which they operate the subway (ie: schedule-based operation instead of headway based). In other words, they try to stick to the schedule as much as possible, irrespective of current headways.

Of course it gets more complicated with the fixed-block signaling and how that works, but in general train operations slow to a crawl at the outer ends of our subway lines.

Part of the issue, is the TTC's idiotic and antiquated manner in which they operate the subway (ie: schedule-based operation instead of headway based). In other words, they try to stick to the schedule as much as possible, irrespective of current headways.
I've really not noticed that issue as a rider. It's not like you get the long gaps created by such operations, as they use them on the streetcar network.

I've really not noticed that issue as a rider. It's not like you get the long gaps created by such operations, as they use them on the streetcar network.
You probably dont notice it now because:

a) We're in the pandemic so operations are not a pre-pandemic levels
b) Schedule based operations have been in place for years now. You would notice the change to headway based operations almost immediately if they made the change, because generally speaking it's smoother.

You probably dont notice it now because:

a) We're in the pandemic so operations are not a pre-pandemic levels
b) Schedule based operations have been in place for years now. You would notice the change to headway based operations almost immediately if they made the change, because generally speaking it's smoother.
I'm talking about pre-pandemic service. I've only ridden a handful of times since the pandemic (though that's not surprisingly steady).

I'm not convinced that they aren't already running headway-based operations on Line 1 and Line 2.

ATC seems smoother - less jerkiness to the vehicle. But that's not a function of the frequency.

I'm talking about pre-pandemic service. I've only ridden a handful of times since the pandemic (though that's not surprisingly steady).

I'm not convinced that they aren't already running headway-based operations on Line 1 and Line 2.

ATC seems smoother - less jerkiness to the vehicle. But that's not a function of the frequency.
The fact that the subway needs to line up to enter the terminal station, which can start as early as five stations before the terminal shows TTC is using a schedule-based operation.

The last time (September 2020) I wasted 10 mins (in addition to regular travel time) on the subway lining up from Finch West going north to Vaughan and missed the connecting buses.

As far as i'm aware @nfitz, subway operation is still schedule based.

There are times (even during this pandemic) where i've waited 7-8 mins on a train at Kipling while both platforms are taken by a train, before finally departing, resulting in a lineup of trains outside of the station. There's no excuse for that kind of sloppy operation.

On a side note, I dont think i'll ever get used to how empty Islington station is now that MiWay operations have been moved out of the station. It will pretty much be a ghost town relatively speaking, while trains will be packed heading to/departing from Kipling.

There are times (even during this pandemic) where i've waited 7-8 mins on a train at Kipling while both platforms are taken by a train, before finally departing, resulting in a lineup of trains outside of the station. There's no excuse for that kind of sloppy operation.

On a side note, I dont think i'll ever get used to how empty Islington station is now that MiWay operations have been moved out of the station. It will pretty much be a ghost town relatively speaking, while trains will be packed heading to/departing from Kipling.
That what happens when 30,000 riders leave the station in the good time, let alone today. Bulk of riders for Islington was Mississauga riders. With Mississauga Riders getting on at Kipling, the chances of finding a seat will be slim picking now for an eastbound train at Islington.

With Mississauga gone, will the rest of the retail close their doors before TTC tell them to go with very few riders to support them?

It will be interesting to see what ridership maybe by 2025 with the completion of the 3 Islington Towers by Tridel and affordable housing on TTC land. Don't expect to see many riders from the tower where the Beer store is.

Why!!? The GO access to TTC is non accessible; the platform is lock for both ends off hours and weekends and the walk would be a lot longer. Got to climb stairs to the walkway that will take you to GO platform and a long stair down to it or use the elevator.
I didn't realise that they closed the GO platform ... I guess there are no south parking lots there. I've only used GO from there to Union a couple of times ... to catch the airport bus; which means that these days I'm just taking the UPE.

Still, it would be interesting to see which is faster - at least on a sunny day.

I doubt anything will change unless the TTC union gets fired and they stop scheduling for the thin budget. They mainly stick to a schedule so all the operators get back to Coxwell on time cause they want to refuse overtime. They do all these crew changes to avoid overtime. Unless they put customers first, nothing such as headway based operation will occur. Trimming each train to one person operation makes it slightly easier through.

I doubt anything will change unless the TTC union gets fired and they stop scheduling for the thin budget. They mainly stick to a schedule so all the operators get back to Coxwell on time cause they want to refuse overtime. They do all these crew changes to avoid overtime. Unless they put customers first, nothing such as headway based operation will occur. Trimming each train to one person operation makes it slightly easier through.

I'm not sure what the union has to do with this, they would pay overtime regardless.

I'd say they pad the schedules to reduce paying overtime when there are delays, even though this means paying for operators and trains to sit in line at terminals, since paying OT looks bad to management. and so does having operators finishing their shift a bit early.

Back