Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

I wonder if there will be any retail kiosks in that new terminal?

The previous design under the hydro corridor appeared to have more space for retail.

Which also leads me to ask when the terminal was moved more west did the main building terminal loose scale?

Last edited:
Yes, there's a tunnel to the TTC station. Yes, there's a convenience and fast food spot in the GO/MiWay terminal.

Not sure what you mean about the main terminal building loosing scale @Edllguy.

The previous building renderings of the Kipling mobility hub that was beside Aukland road looked more larger in size. Unless I miscalculated and the building sizes are about equal or the same.

Yeah but think how far MiWay riders are walking now, down that narrow sidewalk with the poles in the middle, in the rain etc. It's far but it's an improvement.
I haven't seen the current temporary set-up ... but the old setup at Ellington before the structural issues didn't seem such a long walk - though the MiWay platforms were always the furthest.

I haven't seen the current temporary set-up ... but the old setup at Ellington before the structural issues didn't seem such a long walk - though the MiWay platforms were always the furthest.
I'm talking about the permanent setup where riders don't travel to Islington but get off at Auckland and walk into Kipling Station (or leave Kipling and walk to Acorn). Hundreds each rush. It's like the worst sidewalk in the city.

Reactions: vic
I'm talking about the permanent setup where riders don't travel to Islington but get off at Auckland and walk into Kipling Station (or leave Kipling and walk to Acorn).
When was that permanent? Any MiWay bus I've taken has gone to/from Islington (haven't taken one for a couple of years though). I suppose you could get on/off early and walk to Kipling - but I haven't ever noticed much of that.

I see tons of it every day. I live at that intersection. Obviously the buses go to Islington, but for a significant number of people, their permanent route is to get off at Auckland.
Perhaps that's changed with the traffic issues in recent years. Though I disproportionately used MiWay at rush hour on bad-weather days, especially in the winter. Not sure why anyone would want to wait along the side of Dundas Street in those conditions, instead of at Islington, where you could stay sheltered.

Also (and perhaps they still do), trains crawled between Islington and Kipling - with the terminal backed up at peak. Not sure it would even save time westbound. Heading eastbound ... some of the buses come in down Burnhamthorpe instead of Dundas ... so it wasn't even an option most of the time I did it.

I don't think I've noticed many people getting on the bus on the street outside Kipling. If anything, more people board at the on-street stop outside of Islington.

I can attest that the majority of the AM peak inbound riders get off at Aukland and make the walk down to Kipling via the narrow sidewalk on the W/side of Aukland S/of Dundas.

While perhaps BjamesT's use of the word 'permenant' to describe this phenomenon is confusing, not once did he dispute the fact that MiWay buses continue on to Islington.

The majority of MiWay subway-bound trips use Dundas. Come next board period even more trips will be using Dundas, with all route 11 trips moving over.

Last edited:
miWay has used Kipling as a drop off and pickup point on Subway Cr when TTC kick them out of Islington.

More riders stay on miWay buses to Islington compare to the ones that get off at Aukland.

You get close to the same amount getting on at Aukland as you do at Islington on the street. Most of the riders getting off for Kipling are either catching TTC buses out of Kipling or catching a GO train. It works out the opposite way a night. Walking distance to/from the new Hub will be less than it is to day as well being enclosed.

Not sure how they plan to connect the new tunnel to TTC system for accessibility.

As for Scale, it's still the same size as per day one. Not sure if Metrolinx wants retail in the new hub, but will have to wait until it open to see.

miWay has 10 of the 14 bays for their use. How they will be setup is unknown at this time. Don't know of any real layout of the hub on line or elsewhere.

I wonder if there will be any retail kiosks in that new terminal?

The previous design under the hydro corridor appeared to have more space for retail.

Which also leads me to ask when the terminal was moved more west did the main building terminal loose scale?

It was moved because the original location, of the terminal being under the Hydro One corridor, became a problem when Hydro One changed their development guidelines:
Changes to Hydro One restrictions for developments within the corridor lands effectively required Metrolinx to redesign the placement of the terminal, positioning the terminal outside of the hydro corridor.
(On page 6 of https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-93805.pdf)

Although I did prefer the original design, the design under construction makes the transfer between MiWay and TTC look rather inconvenient.

Last edited:
I can attest that the majority of the AM peak inbound riders get off at Aukland and make the walk down to Kipling via the narrow sidewalk on the W/side of Aukland S/of Dundas.

While perhaps BjamesT's use of the word 'permenant' to describe this phenomenon is confusing, not once did he dispute the fact that MiWay buses continue on to Islington.

The majority of MiWay subway-bound trips use Dundas. Come next board period even more trips will be using Dundas, with all route 11 trips moving over.
Exactly. What I meant by "permanent" is that this has been the case for at least as long as I've lived there; since 2012.

I see tons of it every day. I live at that intersection. Obviously the buses go to Islington, but for a significant number of people, their permanent route is to get off at Auckland.

Yup.

Miway #76 counter-flow rider here.

Morning: Transfer from Subway to Miway at Islington. Why? Better waiting area, better choice of seating on bus, more likely to catch bus on schedule, don't have to watch for / flag the bus, potentially missing it.

Evening: Transfer from Miway to Subway at *Kipling*. Why? Slightly more of a walk, not sure if it actually gets me home any faster (though I've seen people from my bus get on the same train at Islington). However, I *always* get a seat, and better choice of seats. Yes, sometimes Dundas St. is really slow getting to Islington, so it's nice to avoid that. There's a bathroom as Kipling :) If I had to make a rough guess, I'd say about 30% of the passengers get off at Kipling/Aukland. I usually only go to Islington if I've slept past my stop or if the weather is particularly bad.

Back