Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

BjamesT

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can attest that the majority of the AM peak inbound riders get off at Aukland and make the walk down to Kipling via the narrow sidewalk on the W/side of Aukland S/of Dundas.

While perhaps BjamesT's use of the word 'permenant' to describe this phenomenon is confusing, not once did he dispute the fact that MiWay buses continue on to Islington.

The majority of MiWay subway-bound trips use Dundas. Come next board period even more trips will be using Dundas, with all route 11 trips moving over.
Exactly. What I meant by "permanent" is that this has been the case for at least as long as I've lived there; since 2012.

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
I see tons of it every day. I live at that intersection. Obviously the buses go to Islington, but for a significant number of people, their permanent route is to get off at Auckland.
Yup.

Miway #76 counter-flow rider here.

Morning: Transfer from Subway to Miway at Islington. Why? Better waiting area, better choice of seating on bus, more likely to catch bus on schedule, don't have to watch for / flag the bus, potentially missing it.

Evening: Transfer from Miway to Subway at *Kipling*. Why? Slightly more of a walk, not sure if it actually gets me home any faster (though I've seen people from my bus get on the same train at Islington). However, I *always* get a seat, and better choice of seats. Yes, sometimes Dundas St. is really slow getting to Islington, so it's nice to avoid that. There's a bathroom as Kipling :) If I had to make a rough guess, I'd say about 30% of the passengers get off at Kipling/Aukland. I usually only go to Islington if I've slept past my stop or if the weather is particularly bad.

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Auckland is absolutely deadly in winter for Miway-subway transfers.
AoD
True.... the condition of that sidewalk is often terrible with snow. Only plowed by the feet of the people walking through. Though I feel like this past winter was somewhat better. Maybe more maintenance due to the construction activities?

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
True.... the condition of that sidewalk is often terrible with snow. Only plowed by the feet of the people walking through. Though I feel like this past winter was somewhat better. Maybe more maintenance due to the construction activities?
Not entirely sure since I avoided that route whenever there was a snow storm. The temporary fencing setup on the other hand left much to be desired given the peak pedestrian volume.

AoD

Reactions: vic

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
The city needs to find a way to widen that sidewalk on Aukland. How they could do that is beyond me, but something needs to be done there.

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The city needs to find a way to widen that sidewalk on Aukland. How they could do that is beyond me, but something needs to be done there.
As soon as the new MiWay/GO Terminal opens though, pedestrian travel on that sidewalk will instantly drop enough to not bother with a widening.

lead82

Member Bio
Reaction score
When is the new terminal set to open? It’s a long time in the making.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
When is the new terminal set to open? It’s a long time in the making.
Sometime in 2020 considering it was supposed to 2015.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
Those sidewalks looks pretty easy to widen. Am I missing something? Is it really that crowded?

View attachment 192742
It's this stretch I was referring to:

This sidewalk can become severely congested at various points in the day, but @interchange42 is right by saying it would be relieved significantly when the Transit Hub opens. However, sidewalk still has issues with hydro poles impeding pedestrian flows significantly.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Oops ... I thought Bloor looked too quiet ... you wouldn't think that I actually take MiWay buses along Dundas there (but never get out!).

Yeah ...that's not good. And good grief, how did Etobicoke not build a sidewalk on the other side of the road in the first place! That's just absurd with the hydro pole in the centre of the sidewalk - does that even meet accessibilty standards?

The answer though is simple. If you look at the city property map, they can't really widen the sidewalk, as it's already right to the property line. But there's always been a lot of space on the other side of the road. The property line appears to be the edge of that new foundation - and the edge of the old building that's now been knocked down - all that old parking was on city property.

Just shuffle the roadway a metre or two further east.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This sidewalk can become severely congested at various points in the day, but @interchange42 is right by saying it would be relieved significantly when the Transit Hub opens. However, sidewalk still has issues with hydro poles impeding pedestrian flows significantly.
The sidewalk isn't a big deal outside of snow. Yes you have riders getting off miWay and walking to Kipling, but most of it at peak time. Even then, it's not that bad like everyone is making it out to be.

The sidewalks around the Kipling station are too narrow in the first place. The east sidewalk is supposed to be widen once the construction is finish for the tower.

Once miWay moves, feet traffic will be light until more development is added to the area. Even then, people will hop the TTC bus to the TTC station, unless they want to use miWay.

Bloor is a dead road for TTC. miWay picks up and drop riders off in between major roads and it various at the time of day. A lot of those riders live along the Bloor route in Toronto in the first place.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score

View attachment 192748

Once the new bus terminal opens, half the pedestrian traffic will go away as a lot of people transfer here to from Miway buses to the subway. Besides the Starbucks, Timmies and Wendy's, there isn't much foot traffic in the area. @drum118 is absolutely right about this.

BjamesT

Member Bio
Reaction score
The sidewalk isn't a big deal outside of snow. Yes you have riders getting off miWay and walking to Kipling, but most of it at peak time. Even then, it's not that bad like everyone is making it out to be.

The sidewalks around the Kipling station are too narrow in the first place. The east sidewalk is supposed to be widen once the construction is finish for the tower.

Once miWay moves, feet traffic will be light until more development is added to the area. Even then, people will hop the TTC bus to the TTC station, unless they want to use miWay.

Bloor is a dead road for TTC. miWay picks up and drop riders off in between major roads and it various at the time of day. A lot of those riders live along the Bloor route in Toronto in the first place.
Incorrect. Stollers. Impassable basically.