Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

Auckland is absolutely deadly in winter for Miway-subway transfers.
AoD

True.... the condition of that sidewalk is often terrible with snow. Only plowed by the feet of the people walking through. Though I feel like this past winter was somewhat better. Maybe more maintenance due to the construction activities?

True.... the condition of that sidewalk is often terrible with snow. Only plowed by the feet of the people walking through. Though I feel like this past winter was somewhat better. Maybe more maintenance due to the construction activities?

Not entirely sure since I avoided that route whenever there was a snow storm. The temporary fencing setup on the other hand left much to be desired given the peak pedestrian volume.

AoD

Reactions: vic
The city needs to find a way to widen that sidewalk on Aukland. How they could do that is beyond me, but something needs to be done there.

The city needs to find a way to widen that sidewalk on Aukland. How they could do that is beyond me, but something needs to be done there.
As soon as the new MiWay/GO Terminal opens though, pedestrian travel on that sidewalk will instantly drop enough to not bother with a widening.

When is the new terminal set to open? It’s a long time in the making.

When is the new terminal set to open? It’s a long time in the making.
Sometime in 2020 considering it was supposed to 2015.

Those sidewalks looks pretty easy to widen. Am I missing something? Is it really that crowded?

View attachment 192742
It's this stretch I was referring to:

This sidewalk can become severely congested at various points in the day, but @interchange42 is right by saying it would be relieved significantly when the Transit Hub opens. However, sidewalk still has issues with hydro poles impeding pedestrian flows significantly.

Oops ... I thought Bloor looked too quiet ... you wouldn't think that I actually take MiWay buses along Dundas there (but never get out!).

Yeah ...that's not good. And good grief, how did Etobicoke not build a sidewalk on the other side of the road in the first place! That's just absurd with the hydro pole in the centre of the sidewalk - does that even meet accessibilty standards?

The answer though is simple. If you look at the city property map, they can't really widen the sidewalk, as it's already right to the property line. But there's always been a lot of space on the other side of the road. The property line appears to be the edge of that new foundation - and the edge of the old building that's now been knocked down - all that old parking was on city property.

Just shuffle the roadway a metre or two further east.

This sidewalk can become severely congested at various points in the day, but @interchange42 is right by saying it would be relieved significantly when the Transit Hub opens. However, sidewalk still has issues with hydro poles impeding pedestrian flows significantly.
The sidewalk isn't a big deal outside of snow. Yes you have riders getting off miWay and walking to Kipling, but most of it at peak time. Even then, it's not that bad like everyone is making it out to be.

The sidewalks around the Kipling station are too narrow in the first place. The east sidewalk is supposed to be widen once the construction is finish for the tower.

Once miWay moves, feet traffic will be light until more development is added to the area. Even then, people will hop the TTC bus to the TTC station, unless they want to use miWay.

Bloor is a dead road for TTC. miWay picks up and drop riders off in between major roads and it various at the time of day. A lot of those riders live along the Bloor route in Toronto in the first place.

View attachment 192748

Once the new bus terminal opens, half the pedestrian traffic will go away as a lot of people transfer here to from Miway buses to the subway. Besides the Starbucks, Timmies and Wendy's, there isn't much foot traffic in the area. @drum118 is absolutely right about this.

The sidewalk isn't a big deal outside of snow. Yes you have riders getting off miWay and walking to Kipling, but most of it at peak time. Even then, it's not that bad like everyone is making it out to be.

The sidewalks around the Kipling station are too narrow in the first place. The east sidewalk is supposed to be widen once the construction is finish for the tower.

Once miWay moves, feet traffic will be light until more development is added to the area. Even then, people will hop the TTC bus to the TTC station, unless they want to use miWay.

Bloor is a dead road for TTC. miWay picks up and drop riders off in between major roads and it various at the time of day. A lot of those riders live along the Bloor route in Toronto in the first place.
Incorrect. Stollers. Impassable basically.

Actually the east sidewalk was supposed to be finished before above-ground work on the building commenced. If I had put money on them reneging that particular clause of the approved plan...

Incorrect. Stollers. Impassable basically.
You are pushing it on these, as next to none show up in the first place based on my visits. Can't speak to other times since I am not there in the first place. They can work there one at a time going in the same direction, but not both direction for sure.

Why do an east sidewalk before construction starts or finish when it will get damage?? It will be done one way or another after construction is done since the sidewalk is close at this time. Have your say in 18 months from now, other saying it has been rebuilt.

Back