Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

Agreed. This really should have been extended west. In fact, the new Renforth Station is on the border of Mississauga and Toronto. It should be the major transfer station. Or at a station further west. To get to Kipling Station, MiWay buses are still driving through half of Etobicoke.

I can't help but feel this is a waste of money that would be better spent extending the Bloor like further west.
Do you mean a short extension or a long extension to Hurontario? A short extension west to Cloverdale has been talked about for many years but nothing ever happened and so it it safe to assume that it wouldn't happen in the near future. So in the meanwhile, it is better to build this bus terminal to improve connections, reduce route length of Miway subway routes and have a second entrance to Kipling GO that could prove to be very useful during TTC strikes.

Agreed. This really should have been extended west. In fact, the new Renforth Station is on the border of Mississauga and Toronto. It should be the major transfer station. Or at a station further west. To get to Kipling Station, MiWay buses are still driving through half of Etobicoke.
As in extending the subway up to Renforth Transitway Station?

I know you're trying to clear up what @toaster29 is implying, but that's just the dumbest idea ever. Even the subway to Cooksville GO makes more sense (not a good idea though).
Maybe we have the same problem as on Eglinton East.

In Scarborough - if we force the ECLRT to be in the street, how best to serve STC. This is when you start getting bad ideas because you start with the wrong premise. If ECLRT where allowed to be elevated, the solution would be obvious.

Here, - if we force the ECLRT to be in the street, how best to serve Renforth Gateway. This is when you start getting bad ideas (i.e. extending B-D up here) because you start with the wrong premise. If ECLRT where allowed to be elevated, the solution would be obvious.

Maybe we have the same problem as on Eglinton East.

In Scarborough - if we force the ECLRT to be in the street, how best to serve STC. This is when you start getting bad ideas because you start with the wrong premise. If ECLRT where allowed to be elevated, the solution would be obvious.

Here, - if we force the ECLRT to be in the street, how best to serve Renforth Gateway. This is when you start getting bad ideas (i.e. extending B-D up here) because you start with the wrong premise. If ECLRT where allowed to be elevated, the solution would be obvious.

Subway extended to Sherway.
Queen Streetcar extended along Queensway to Sherway.
Etobicoke LRT from Long Branch GO, up Brown's Line to Sherway, up West Mall to Rathburn, Rathburn to Renforth, to Renforth Gateway.

Etobicoke LRT from Long Branch GO, up Brown's Line to Sherway, up West Mall to Rathburn, Rathburn to Renforth, to Renforth Gateway.
Huh?

I was at Sherway Gardens this morning. For the benefit of those who don't go there, it opens at 10 AM. Not even one trainload of people working at the mall in the daytime. Not a lot of commuters. Even after opening, you could have shot the proverbial cannon down the corridors. In terms of people per hours at peak, this is a complete non-starter for subway. Coffey would laugh his head off at Etobicoke's folly.

Connecting Long Branch, Sherway, and Renforth is an excellent idea, but again compare riders per hour with a Kipling LRT Lake Shore to Albion, and the first priority will be Kipling. Especially as Six Points heats up. If we get the west Crosstown extension, carrying on east from Renforth to Kipling before turning south won't be a hardship. Now, Queensway LRT to Sherway and south to Long Branch is a very good idea.

Street car on Dundas from Six Points to Gunns Loop is a better investment than either subway or LRT Cloverdale to Sherway. (Subway to Cloverdale, I can buy)

I know, this is just circling through old debate. Don't mention a Sherway subway and I won't have to respond all over again.

- Paul

I was at Sherway Gardens this morning. For the benefit of those who don't go there, it opens at 10 AM. Not even one trainload of people working at the mall in the daytime. Not a lot of commuters. Even after opening, you could have shot the proverbial cannon down the corridors. In terms of people per hours at peak, this is a complete non-starter for subway. Coffey would laugh his head off at Etobicoke's folly.

Connecting Long Branch, Sherway, and Renforth is an excellent idea, but again compare riders per hour with a Kipling LRT Lake Shore to Albion, and the first priority will be Kipling. Especially as Six Points heats up. If we get the west Crosstown extension, carrying on east from Renforth to Kipling before turning south won't be a hardship. Now, Queensway LRT to Sherway and south to Long Branch is a very good idea.

Street car on Dundas from Six Points to Gunns Loop is a better investment than either subway or LRT Cloverdale to Sherway. (Subway to Cloverdale, I can buy)

I know, this is just circling through old debate. Don't mention a Sherway subway and I won't have to respond all over again.

- Paul

I wouldn't even entertain it until after all of the 1750 Queensway was built out. That said, I think a case for extending the streetcar along Queensway and down Browns Line could be justified much sooner. And maybe even the LRT up along West Mall given all the new development along the 427.

The Queensway bus today is very low use - most travel from the Queensway area is north-south to connect to the subway. I'm not sure a St Clair type Streetcar solution for the Queensway would be useful, unless there was significant improvements in travel time into the downtown core.

The Queensway bus today is very low use - most travel from the Queensway area is north-south to connect to the subway. I'm not sure a St Clair type Streetcar solution for the Queensway would be useful, unless there was significant improvements in travel time into the downtown core.

That's true today, but with Humber Bay anchoring at one end, Sherway at the other, and lots of new development in between, there may be lots of density and many local trips created. If there were also LRT on Kipling from Lake Shore north to Six Points, that would increase further.

We need to talk about real city building in South Etobicoke. That requires more cohesion and planning than just letting developers go crazy with stuff, as they are doing now. The potential for a really great new city district is there. I wonder if the politicians in Etobicoke are up to the task: working towards a vision, instead of just going along with whatever townhouse and condo tower projects their backroom buddies dream up.

- Paul

I think we have a future built it and they will come situation on the Queensway when it comes to ridership growth and upgraded transit options.

If there is one corridor in Etobicoke where we should be talking about taking a whole corridor and planning it to fit growth targets (along with necessary transit infrastructure) it is The Queensway.

If there is one corridor in Etobicoke where we should be talking about taking a whole corridor and planning it to fit growth targets (along with necessary transit infrastructure) it is The Queensway.
I couldn't agree more. It's unfortunate the city doesn't seem interested in coming up with a comprehensive plan for the Queensway strip, so as a result we'll continue to see patchwork and piecemeal developments all over the area.

So far we've been fortunate since developers have been conforming to the cities avenues plan, but I don't think we'll continue to see that for much longer.

I couldn't agree more. It's unfortunate the city doesn't seem interested in coming up with a comprehensive plan for the Queensway strip, so as a result we'll continue to see patchwork and piecemeal developments all over the area.

So far we've been fortunate since developers have been conforming to the cities avenues plan, but I don't think we'll continue to see that for much longer.
I find it interesting because the avenues plan actually directs height on the lots facing The Queensway.

If the lands between The Quensway and the highway are zoned for higher density development, then we will be getting a built-form that rises very high along the highway and transitions lower to the avenues-mandated mid-rise fronting The Queensway.

If developers play along, then we may inadvertently create a very specific and unique neighbourhood built-form in this area of the city.

Back