Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

It's all rather downscale considering the new housing being built in that area. A Dollarama next to a No Frills? :-/

Really? Is this confirmed to be a full LCBO or just a Vintages/Wine Rack wine-only store as rumoured earlier? I'd love a full LCBO here, but I must admit I'm less enthused about the Dollarama. Sure I'll probably shop there for odds and ends but I'm not sure a big dollar store is really going to send surrounding property values skyrocketing, for those who care about that sort of thing. ;)

Judging by the floorplan, it looks like it'd be a full store (awfully big for just Vintages/Wine Rack). LCBOs are like Tim Horton's, they'll do well in pretty much any location even despite market saturation. Though I'm not enthralled with the rest of the retail so far, this is really going to bring a lot of life to what is an extremely long, dead stretch of King and Front. Hopefully we'll get some decent food and drink options once the north side is rented. A good "fast food" type place (burritos, good sandwiches, cafe, ethnic/something unique) will be very welcome. King East of Sherbourne kind of drops off when it comes to retail and food. Living east of Parliament means there's almost nowhere to go after 9 PM for food/drinks/coffee etc without walking for over 15 minutes (which is unacceptable in the winter).

Last edited:
Really? Is this confirmed to be a full LCBO or just a Vintages/Wine Rack wine-only store as rumoured earlier? I'd love a full LCBO here, but I must admit I'm less enthused about the Dollarama. Sure I'll probably shop there for odds and ends but I'm not sure a big dollar store is really going to send surrounding property values skyrocketing, for those who care about that sort of thing. ;)

Meh, there's one at College and Bay and property values there are rather high.

I'm more excited about the LCBO. Hopefully we start seeing some more retail as well as restaurants and bars.

The No Frills seems to be gearing up for opening - they are having a job fair (at the St Lawrence Community Centre) on January 18 & 19.

Last edited:
It's all rather downscale considering the new housing being built in that area. A Dollarama next to a No Frills? :-/

You are correct because all that those of us that live in the area like to do is shop for expensive furniture.

For those discussing the LCBO.....

100% this is a full service store and a BIG one....

Its 12,000sq ft; to put that in perspective, King/Spadina is 8,500sq ft.

This will be one of the 10 biggest stores in the province, I think.

Speaking of bigger is better.....sometimes.....LOL....;)

At 10,000sq ft that is no tiny Dollarama......

Anyone notice .....the biggest vacancy on the north side, Unit 5 is 20,000sq feet?

Hmm, wonder what will land there?

You are correct because all that those of us that live in the area like to do is shop for expensive furniture.

May I suggest EQ3? I suppose there could be an inordinately high proportion of house-poor residents. But sarcasm aside, my business partner owns an apartment at Mozo, and he agrees that the combination of Dollarama and an LCBO in the area isn't particularly inspired.

Dollarama, No Thrills and LCBO in the 'hood is fantastic news! All are great places to spend money, and pick up girls!:D

That's what the area is missing--a decent regular shopping experience where you don't have to spend $$$ just on the basics of life.

:D Well, if you put it that way... I'm just a carefree ex-Québécois who became a renter again to spend less on housing and more on the "basics of life," so I might be in the minority here!

May I suggest EQ3? I suppose there could be an inordinately high proportion of house-poor residents. But sarcasm aside, my business partner owns an apartment at Mozo, and he agrees that the combination of Dollarama and an LCBO in the area isn't particularly inspired.

Isn't there a Dollarama at Queen and Sherbourne which is like 2-3 blocks away?

Yes, yes there is. Perhaps they're planning on closing that store, as they would be pretty close to each other.

Isn't there a Dollarama at Queen and Sherbourne which is like 2-3 blocks away?
There is, but I avoid it if I can help it, since you have to fight through the addicts and dealers who swarm the intersection. I'm looking forward to the Dollarama nearby, and especially the LCBO. As for the No Frills, I'll reserve judgement. With all of the new residential coming on stream here over the next five years I am positive this will only enhance the retail life of the neighbourhood.

Has anyone heard which bank is going into the Toronto Sun Building. Thanks in advance!

A huge No Frills, LCBO and Dollarama will certainly change the character of the area, one way or another. I'm hoping it will balance that King strip. Having so many upscale furniture stores clustered along there makes it a destination for furniture shoppers, which is great, but obviously for those of us who live in the immediate area they don't add much to our day-to-day lives: one person can only buy so much furniture! But at the same time, I hope that the No Frills, LCBO and Dollarama are integrated in a way that is respectful to the surroundings, with decent non-garrish signs and finishes. Otherwise it's going to be an odd fit.

I'm also wondering what impacts this will have in terms of traffic in the neighbourhood. Since this will now be a regular "one stop" experience with groceries and liquor, I suspect a lot of car traffic from other parts of downtown is going to now come by the area and be entering/exiting the lot on Front to access the parking garage, or circling to find handy street parking. This will bring quite a different demographic from, say, the Front Street Sobey's which seems to attract mostly local shoppers on foot.

Last edited:

Back