Toronto King + Condos | 53.03m | 17s | King Plus | TACT Architecture

The entrance also looks great, but I couldn't get a good picture of it due to the hoarding. It looks to be maybe a very dark red stained wood. The bricks haven't been touched, and still clash horribly with the precast. I'll upload a couple pics of the cornice when I get home.

vpObSOb.jpg

Kl1oLwJ.jpg

M7qepm2.jpg

fUMZnPH.jpg

For me personally, these kinds of bricks are not worth saving, just for the sake of "Heritage"
They do not have any aesthetics to their looks, and also look aged, weak, and tired.
There is nothing wrong with building something worth looking from the ground up.

Preserving the facade maintains a visual remainder of the interesting 19th century built form of the city. It effectively preserves our history by keeping it visible to the public. With that said, I wouldn't oppose using new bricks of the same colour and proportion if saving the original bricks weren't possible. Brick facades may not last more than several centuries. At some point, the bricks will have to be replaced.

For me personally, these kinds of bricks are not worth saving, just for the sake of "Heritage"
They do not have any aesthetics to their looks, and also look aged, weak, and tired.

The bricks have no aesthetics? What does that mean, other than you don't care for how they look? I know you prefaced this with "for me personally" but that's quite the bald statement.

The bricks need some restoration work - that much is certain.

Wonder if they plan on painting the bricks? The cornice needs paint. Maybe they'll wait on the restoration to let the building settle or something. Many of these facades are restored after the building has been completed for a while.

Last edited:
IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2993.JPG

From my May 29th Development Tour of Toronto

Attachments

• IMG_2992.jpg
    IMG_2992.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 576
  • IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 535
Wonder if they plan on painting the bricks? The cornice needs paint. Maybe they'll wait on the restoration to let the building settle or something. Many of these facades are restored after the building has been completed for a while.

Why in god's name would you think they would paint the bricks? This is a historic façade that they were forced to maintain - one may argue about whether it was worth it but they certainly won't be painted. I too am surprised they did not wash the bricks but I suppose this MAY be coming.

I assume the cornice will be painted.

Why in god's name would you think they would paint the bricks? This is a historic façade that they were forced to maintain - one may argue about whether it was worth it but they certainly won't be painted. I too am surprised they did not wash the bricks but I suppose this MAY be coming.

I assume the cornice will be painted.

If the bricks are nearing end of life than painting them would extend that life. It's certainly not ideal but, so too are all these historic facade rebuilds with new materials both modern and traditional.

Last edited:

Back