Toronto John Innes Recreation Centre & Moss Park Arena Revitalization | 21.35m | 4s | City of Toronto | MJMA

I actually have some concerns about that space - it would look pretty bad if not well used.

AoD

I wouldn't be concerned if it does indeed wind up being an arena with good usage guidelines and programming; if you get that right, it should be really easy to fill an attractive arena in the centre of downtown at pretty much all hours. Summer months could be tougher, but again, I think it's all about the programming.

Wow I'm really impressed with what I'm seeing. The new park and community centre is going to be an amazing addition to the neighbourhood. I really like how they moved the community centre to be across from the armoury - I think it opens the place up from the East side, vs feeling boxed in as it is now.

Didn't the TTC suggest a few months ago it was going to put the main entrance for the Queen/Sherbourne station in the southeast corner of the block and integrate it with the new community center? I like how well they are integrating the planning processes....

The whole goal seemed to be appeasing the mayor and planning chief by making a design appealing to his and her ScamTrack fantasies and modern planning fads respectively. Don't try to make sense out of a process that doesn't have any.

Ambitious, very expensive, but change is certainly needed and welcome. My immediate concerns include a massing of evergreens and trees will block sightlines from the street into the park and vice versa. That along and I can't see how people will find how to come and go from the park. Where are natural entranceways? Such a impenetrable hard barrier creates a host of safety and security challenges for the entire community. I doubt anyone with ounce of common sense would take the risk of crossing through it after dark. Lastly, lowering the park could create an unintentional, unattended and dangerous ice field for months of the year and a swamp either side of winter.

Anyone know what's going on with this? It's as if the project fell off the face of the planet toward the end of summer 2016. The community engagement for the project was very extensive and yet even the More Moss Park website is completely silent. Was a report ever presented to city council?

Disappointing. : /

Anyone know what's going on with this? It's as if the project fell off the face of the planet toward the end of summer 2016. The community engagement for the project was very extensive and yet even the More Moss Park website is completely silent. Was a report ever presented to city council?

Disappointing. : /
In another thread someone mentioned that some funding was approved for the 2018 budget. I failed to find this on the city website.

I just looked at a thread on UrbanToronto re: 2018 budget but it says that one of the notable absences from the list is funding for the Moss Park revitalization and the new community centre. That's really disappointing : /

More from K W-T

The More Moss Park Project is currently moving forward, with a focussed vision and a refreshed City team!
Many residents have reached out to inquire about the status of this project - a partnership between the City of Toronto, the 519 Community Centre, and a philanthropic partner, to bring improvements to the John Innes Community Centre, Moss Park Arena, and the surrounding parkland.
After concluding consultations in 2016, staff have been busy revising their original proposal to ensure that new recreational and public space will meet the needs of the local community, particularly those who are currently underserved. The project team is working towards an environmentally and financially sustainable facility that is safe, inclusive, and accessible.
In early 2019 there will be a consultation for the public to provide feedback on a revised design proposal. Please watch this space for updates.
You can also keep up to date with the project by visiting the project website at www.moremosspark.ca, or by signing up for update emails at http://www.moremosspark.ca/email-updates. Questions about the project may be sent to info@moremosspark.ca or by phoning 416-355-6777

Ifthey woulkd move Seaton House and the shelter on Jarvis to the north end of the city then this park might stand a chance of being something other then crash pad for hooker, drug dealers and crack users. It's time we ofund a better place for thse homeless shelters to go that woeuld bring the people and services together.

Ifthey woulkd move Seaton House and the shelter on Jarvis to the north end of the city then this park might stand a chance of being something other then crash pad for hooker, drug dealers and crack users. It's time we ofund a better place for thse homeless shelters to go that woeuld bring the people and services together.
The City ARE currently working on Seaton House and the shelters on George Street - see separate thread her for info - and I agree that it would be good if something was done about the Maxwell Meighan one on Sherbourne too. I also agree that the people, the shelters and the services they need should be in the same area; clearly if people must leave a shelter during the day they will congregate nearby. Where we seem to disagree is on a 'better place' as that is often shorthand for somewhere out of MY sight. Shelters and their associated services should certainly be better distributed throughout the City but that would still mean that the Moss Park area could well have a (better organised) shelter and services nearby.

Wow... I guess Moss Park just can't have nice things.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear .dwg,

After extensive analysis, the partnership leading the Moss Park Revitalization Project, which includes the City of Toronto, The 519, and a philanthropic partner, has come to the conclusion that the project as envisioned is not feasible at this time and will not move forward in its current form.

More Moss Park has been ongoing since 2015. Significant work and community input into examining the feasibility of redeveloping Moss Park (including the John Innes Community Recreation Centre, Moss Park Arena and surrounding sports fields and parklands) to better serve the community.

While the project in its current form will not be going ahead, the project partners remain committed to supporting the Moss Park community, through programs, services and consideration of other potential city building opportunities.

The John Innes Community Recreation Centre and Moss Park will continue to be operated and maintained by the City. The Moss Park Arena Board will continue to provide recreational skating and hockey programs to the community. The 519 will continue to offer their broad range of community based programs in the area and the philanthropic partner is committed to seeking opportunities to invest in initiatives in the Moss Park community that can have a more immediate impact on improving the lives of residents.

The City's Parks, Forestry & Recreation division (PF&R) will pursue the revitalization of the John Innes Community Recreation Centre and Moss Park, as reflected in the Council approved Facilities Master Plan.

The valuable results of the extensive community engagement process that informed the aspirations for the "More Moss Park" project will continue to serve this revitalization effort. Through thousands of conversations, hundreds of meetings, and years of relationship building, so much has been learned from residents, community agencies, and service providers about how to best meet the service and recreational needs of Downtown East communities.

We thank everyone who participated in this project through their valuable contributions of time and insight. All project partners look forward to continuing to work with the many communities who live, work, play and access services in Moss Park.

For more information please contact info@moremosspark.ca

Sincerely,
The More Moss Park Team

Back