Toronto J. Davis House | ?m | 9s | Mattamy Homes | Graziani + Corazza

All those buildings should be retained.
Exactly! I too prefer what’s there now. This thing's just adding another piece to the set of forgettable at best/aggressive banality of Toronto condo architecture. (Gawd, this town gets harder to look at every day.) I really wish Matt & Amy (and Peter) would f*ck off back to the sweaty taint of the 905 to resume their pollution of the landscape with miserable tract housing for numb GO trainers!

Update from Josh Matlow's email blast:

As many in the Davisville and Chaplin Estates neighbourhoods will already know, a developmentwas approved by a previous Council, in August 2010 at 1955 Yonge Street between Belsize and Millwood. Unfortunately, a property on this block (currently acting as the developer’s sales office) was not recognized as potentially having heritage value before the development was approved. City Heritage Staff has sadly informed me that there is nothing we can do to save the building.

For commercial reasons, the developer has not taken steps to move forward with construction until recently. The Buildings Department has informed me that the developer recently requested a demolition permit for this site and that they are legally bound to issue that permit shortly.

At least it's a lot better than Councillor Carmichael-Greb's response: do absolutely nothing until your constituents scream about a rushed demolition, and then blame city staff.

Definitely a shame, this bank building is far more interesting than the one that was demolished a few weeks ago.

Thankfully if citizenry can be informed ahead of time, they can mobilize and may be able to salvage as much as they can.

The city needs to get around the commercial demolition permit to avoid issues like this from happening in the future.

BXf6Yl8h.jpg

KHIKzO5h.jpg

More photos of demolition taken on Monday (Rogers building almost gone, bank is rubble)
DSC_0043.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG
:

Attachments

• DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 666
  • DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 689
Just interior demolition on these buildings so far (too bad that they weren't protected).

April 2:
DSC_0001.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 931
Of course- it's about getting the pesky buildings out of the way first a la One Bloor.

Once that hurdle is out of the way, you can take your sweet time.

Back