Toronto J. Davis House | ?m | 9s | Mattamy Homes | Graziani + Corazza

Things seems to have stalled here after an initial rush of wrecking enthusiasm.
You get the various contractors in when you can book them. Once construction is going you need a steady stream, but demolition, shoring, and excavation don't always happen one straight after the other. It may be a matter of permits too…

You get the various contractors in when you can book them. Once construction is going you need a steady stream, but demolition, shoring, and excavation don't always happen one straight after the other. It may be a matter of permits too…

That makes sense, but I would have expected them to demo the entire site rather than stopping half way through. Maybe there are different demo procedures for brick buildings vs other structures?

Council denied their permits Counsel didn't approve their Site plan because the driveway was at the back of the building and exited on Belsize and Council wanted it to exit on Yonge. http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.TE25.11

The OMB has since approved the plan barring any appeals from Council http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/mm170048-Oct-16-2017.pdf.

Important part of the conclusion:

[40] There is no dispute that providing vehicular access on Belsize Drive for this development is superior to providing access on Yonge Street from a traffic and a planning perspective as testified by the four expert witnesses at this hearing. The analysis was extensive to support this conclusion, and showed that with the proposed turning restrictions, the infiltration into the neighbourhood via Belsize Drive would be negligible; whereas, if the access were on Yonge Street this would result in a greater amount of traffic using Belsize Drive for traffic movement. The witnesses also testified that the proposed access on Belsize Drive is consistent with the City’s Official Plan and the applicable guidance documents. [41] The City did not bring any evidence to counter the opinion of the four expert witnesses.

[49] The Board allows the appeal and approves the Site Plan drawings dated November 30, 2015 and Conditions of Approval as provided in evidence in Exhibit 1 Tab 13, provided that the changes to the Site Plan in relation to the curb be made as provided by Exhibit 5, as well as the changes required to accommodate the neighbour’s access to his rear parking space as provided in Exhibit 2 Tab 20. The changes are to be implemented in the Final Site Plan and must be to the satisfaction of the City Engineering and Construction Services department.

Last edited:
It's Site Plan Approval that you're talking about, which Mattamy appealed to the OMB when the City failed to approve it within the required period. In the meantime, Council voted to only allow the SPA if the vehicular access was moved to Yonge after Matlow caved to pressure from the locals.

The OMB has made the right decision to not allow the move when all of the planning evidence, including the City's (which Council does not dispute) indicates that the access should be off of Belsize Drive. That's how the OMB is meant to work, glad it did!

It's Site Plan Approval that you're talking about
thanks for the correction. (updated original post.)

I agree it was the correct decision. It is great to see the OMB serve its purpose and show that there is a reason for an outside entity that can overrule counsel and avoid poor decisions due to short sighted NIMBY decisions.

Really is too bad the original Bank building had to go on this site.

Status quo. I’m guessing the property owners aren’t paying a daily rate to partially obstruct the sidewalk.

Status quo. I’m guessing the property owners aren’t paying a daily rate to partially obstruct the sidewalk.

Movement this morning as the road was down to one lane and a officer was directing traffic. In the last few days they've removed some trees and today a worker was removing leftover tiles from the rogers building that was there before. Progress?

Movement this morning as the road was down to one lane and a officer was directing traffic. In the last few days they've removed some trees and today a worker was removing leftover tiles from the rogers building that was there before. Progress?
Maybe a call from Councillor Matlow's office, since someone I know on Twitter tweeted a picture I took to his account.

Maybe a call from Councillor Matlow's office, since someone I know on Twitter tweeted a picture I took to his account.

Tear down starting on the remaining building started yesterday. Only two workers on a cherry picker ripping the roof apart but tear down nonetheless.

December 20, 2017

0C48D527-3D6B-42B8-8CC9-586D5CEC43AA.jpeg
91253A20-61E6-42AA-80E7-20A68A2932AA.jpeg

Attachments

• 0C48D527-3D6B-42B8-8CC9-586D5CEC43AA.jpeg
    0C48D527-3D6B-42B8-8CC9-586D5CEC43AA.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 737
  • 91253A20-61E6-42AA-80E7-20A68A2932AA.jpeg
    91253A20-61E6-42AA-80E7-20A68A2932AA.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 703
What a shame these charming little buildings had to go. Really looking forward to the inevitable McModern crap that replaces them! Yeah, I know: density blah blah...transit corridor blah blah blah... Here's to Every Street becoming Bay Street

The heck is that photo hear for...^

Mattamy will likely just finish off some projects that are later on in sales and approvals....it makes sense that they want to finish this project.

Back