Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

You mean it was a mistake that current subway system has so much ridership that even more capacity is needed?

Oh yeah, stupid planning for sure...
The Bloor line is not at physical capacity itself, the bottlenecks which the DRL is supposed to relieve is the transfer points with Yonge. The arbitrary transfer was the problem, but this is getting too far off topic.

How exactly would that be ignoring the City Centre? You still have not explained this, it doesn't make sense. Most of the offices and residential are on the east side of MCC, along Hurontario. Hurontario is the densest corridor in Mississauga. Diverting the LRT is just madness.
You don't think its a shame that the Central Library, City Hall, the Living Arts Centre, the YMCA, and everything else built explicitly as the City Centre will be firmly out of reach of the main transit corridor?

There is no reason people can not transfer on Hurontario street to travel to different directions.
There is no reason this terminal needs to veer off of Hurontario.
Intensification is happening at Hurontario as well, not just on the west side of MCC.
It is not skipping MCC at all, the LRT would be going right through the eastern half of MCC.

I would have no problem myself transferring to say route 3 at Elm & Hurontario. It's really not a big deal to me.

The Bloor line is not at physical capacity itself, the bottlenecks which the DRL is supposed to relieve is the transfer points with Yonge. The arbitrary transfer was the problem, but this is getting too far off topic.

This is a complex issue. There is a lot of demand for direct service to the CBD, but there is a lot demand for crosstown service as well. The transfer is not the problem, the real problem is the lack of alternative subways lines and lack of GO service that force people to use the Yonge subway. The fact that all bus routes except the 29 terminate at the subway also contributes to this problem.

But still this example just shows why the LRT should stay on Hurontario. After all, most of the offices in MCC are along Hurontario, and that's where you should expect the peak demand to be. So taking the LRT out of the area of peak demand makes no sense. I have not suggested that all bus routes terminate at the LRT like it does for the Bloor-Danforth subway. There will be viable alternatives for the minority of riders needing a ride to the west side of MCC.

You don't think its a shame that the Central Library, City Hall, the Living Arts Centre, the YMCA, and everything else built explicitly as the City Centre will be firmly out of reach of the main transit corridor?

I don't know why you seem to think that the Hurontario corridor is not part of the City Centre... have you ever seen an official map of MCC?

The important this is, the Hurontario buses are already the busiest in the 905, despite not serving the City Hall, LAC, YMCA... I am not sure why you think these connections are so important... they are not major trip generators.

The Hurontario LRT is for Hurontario. It should be for the people live or work along Hurontario. Remember this line will already stretch from Downtown Brampton to Port Credit, already well over 20km long as it is. The diversion you suggest would be a huge inconvenience to most of the riders, and it is not needed considering that there are already 20+ bus routes that people can use instead...

Perhaps MCC should have a circulator service to connect everything together. Maybe buy Detroit's Downtown People Mover, or better yet, have a streetcar circuit like that of Portland (connecting MAX to the downtown nabes north and south of the LRT system). That way, all the trip generators will be served while keeping the LRT on a direct route.

Interesting point. Indeed, MCC itself seems custom-made for a People Mover-style gadgetbahn. Not a Mississauga-wide network; simply MCC and its immediate environs. Albeit in a more self-conscious retro-futurist spirit...

As long as it can be affectionately called ‘The Hurricane’ I don’t see why anyone would be against it.

But MCC has failed twice as trying to keep a site specific shuttle afloat. I guess with this idea it would be higher frequencies, but with a skytrain hullabaloo sort of thing for just MCC, we might as well just run that down Hurontario in an elevated ROW and call it a day.

In 10 years, computers will be good enough autopilots that we could have PRT on existing road infrastructure. Just get a bunch of Toyota PMs and you're set. :D
Toyotaconceptgfdl.jpg

[/tongue in cheek]

The MCC shuttle is an idea that should seriously be considered, and should definitely be fared differently (if at all) or subsidized (at least in part) by parking at MCC.

Last edited:
I am not sure if Mississauga really should follow Detroit's example. After all, Mississauga already has much better transit than Detroit, and Detroit doesn't have exactly what I would call a healthy and vibrant downtown either...

In 10 years, computers will be good enough autopilots that we could have PRT on existing road infrastructure. Just get a bunch of Toyota PMs and you're set. :D
Toyotaconceptgfdl.jpg

[/tongue in cheek].

LOL. If we are going PRT, I want Mobile Suits that combine with each other to form one Giant Transit Robot of Doom. And lasers, there must be lasers.

It shouldnt be routed from Hurontario. I know a lot of different options have been suggested (ie. bus service, people mover, or a separate lrt line connecting hurontario and the station)

But I think this could be an opportunity to build a covered retail concourse connecting the two stations. perhaps have express walk ways (as in the airport) in the middle. I think it would really cool if some condo developments could also be added, supporting the retail and the lrt.

What I don't understand is how Port Credit isn't an Urban Growth Centre. It's more urban than MCC.

What I don't understand is how Port Credit isn't an Urban Growth Centre. It's more urban than MCC.

It's not provincially mandated growth centre but it's recognized by the city. That might be better because it avoids the "ramming it down our throats" argument.

Back