Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

All the cities can really do is encourage developers to build along the corridor and discourage them from developing elsewhere.

I think the LRT will effectively do this. In Toronto, areas with rails tend to have higher housing pricing than those without rails. If developers want to maximize profits, and I'm pretty sure they do, they'll be looking at locations near the LRT.

Unless the LRT is going some place highly undesirable (near smelly industry) it'll likely pull apartment building style development toward that corridor.

A candidate for Council is out with a new proposal for the route through Brampton (well, not new in "never discussed before" but new in the political dialogue in Brampton).

http://www.michaelfreeman.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/LRT-on-the-Rails.pdf
It has been talked about here, but it is adding travel time to everyone as well not helping the DT of Brampton.

If Metrolinx is promoting and stops over 500m which is bad in the first place, clearly show how RR focuses they are, as well out of touch with live, play, and work areas as well making thing walkable.

The current plan shown above in the PDF is the correct way to go.

If he \ is willing to do this, then wide sidewalks, no parking and single lane of traffic.

It has been talked about here, but it is adding travel time to everyone as well not helping the DT of Brampton.

If Metrolinx is promoting and stops over 500m which is bad in the first place, clearly show how RR focuses they are, as well out of touch with live, play, and work areas as well making thing walkable.

If he \ is willing to do this, then wide sidewalks, no parking and single lane of traffic.

Interesting. However, I would keep the original line, but create an another different line to maybe circle Brampton as a feeder.

that "Alternate route" would roughly double travel times in that segment, which would take a huge impact on ridership. Its a big detour. travel times from Steeles to the GO station would go from roughly 8 minutes to roughly 14 minutes. never mind the fact that it passes by even fewer redevelopment sites than the existing proposed alignment.

Plus, the additional cost of laying 2.3km of extra track is probably similar to the cost of burying it for 5-600 meters leading through the downtown core.

Last edited:
A candidate for Council is out with a new proposal for the route through Brampton (well, not new in "never discussed before" but new in the political dialogue in Brampton).

http://www.michaelfreeman.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/LRT-on-the-Rails.pdf

Not only is this guy completely out to lunch with his LRT route - because hey, why try to use rapid transit to spur development along a central corridor anyways - this proposal of his reads like it was written by a seven-year-old. Seriously, read it aloud and see for yourself how awkward it is.

Oh, and he can't figure out that LRT =/= streetcars.

Two thumbs down!

Toronto's current and upcoming streetcars are called LRVs (light rail vehicles) for a reason: they are light rail vehicles.

But yes, it is incorrect to call Hurontario LRT a streetcar. It is modern light rail transit, not traditional light rail.

The LRT vs. streetcar things is just ridiculous honestly. But at least Mississauga Transit's marketing department won't be forced to separate and brand the 510 Spadina and 512 St-Clair operated using Bombardier Flexity LRVs with an honour fare payment system as being completely different from the Sheppard LRT, Finch West LRT, etc. operated using Bombardier Flexity LRVs with an honour fare payment system.

I am the candidate that wrote the proposal for changing the route of the LRT in Brampton. I welcome all of your input as I am seeking to have the best route possible for Brampton. I believe that my proposal is an improvement over the other options. Other politicians are pushing for a tunnel to Williams Pkwy or for it to stop at Steeles. I will try to do a multi-quote to respond to some of you while not flooding this thread.

The McLaughlin-OBRY route may not be perfect, but neither is the current route. My aim is to get a discussion started locally about where the best route is.

Creating a wider sidewalk for a more complete street is one of the reasons why I proposed this route compared to the downtown alignment which would not be able to create a successful pedestrian experience due to the narrow width of the right of way. The proposed removal of local bus service on Main St is another concern with the large distances between stops.

Another politician drawing lines on a map during an election. What a classic.

As far as I know, in Brampton I am the only one to have proposed an alternate route with a map. I know Peter Robertson drew a map with the LRT heading west to Churchville, up the same rail line then across Queen St to the PMH site.

I wouldn't trust anyone who wrote "tenants" when they meant "tenets".

I'll blame that one on spell-check. I have fixed it, thank you.

that "Alternate route" would roughly double travel times in that segment, which would take a huge impact on ridership. Its a big detour. travel times from Steeles to the GO station would go from roughly 8 minutes to roughly 14 minutes. never mind the fact that it passes by even fewer redevelopment sites than the existing proposed alignment.

Plus, the additional cost of laying 2.3km of extra track is probably similar to the cost of burying it for 5-600 meters leading through the downtown core.

A section of the downtown route will run in mixed traffic. Having trains wait in traffic behind left turning cars plus waiting for the lane switch at Wellington will reduce the time difference.

There are more redevelopment sites along my proposed route. The current route services the Brampton Mall area. The rest of the route is the Historical District and a park along the Etobicoke Creek. My route gives better access to the Malta Road development (450 units), Sheridan Davis Campus, the Flower City Community Campus (65 acres & possible university site), plus redevelopment of the Queen West(aimed at 200 people plus jobs per hectare).

The cost savings of not having to replace the superstructure of the 2 Etobicoke creek bridges should go a long way to covering the cost of the extra distance. The tunnel from Nanwood to the Go station would be ~2km or $500 million at crosstown LRT cost. The cost of ~2km surface LRT is about $150 million. My route would be less as a portion would run in a rail right of way.

Where was he back in 2008 and 2009 when the route was being discussed and the current route was selected?

I was not involved in municipal politics at that time.

Not only is this guy completely out to lunch with his LRT route - because hey, why try to use rapid transit to spur development along a central corridor anyways - this proposal of his reads like it was written by a seven-year-old. Seriously, read it aloud and see for yourself how awkward it is.

Oh, and he can't figure out that LRT =/= streetcars.

Two thumbs down!

There would be little development on the part of the route that I am diverting. I'm afraid I can't do much about my writing style, but I wanted to do more than the usual bullet points and buzz words that most politicians use.

Also I said that running LRT in mixed traffic lanes would make that section effectively like a streetcar. In that section (apart from the driver cab at either end) it would look and operate very similar to the new Toronto streetcars.

If there is not enough space for cars, LRT, cyclist and pedestrians in the downtown core, maybe you should think about reducing the number of cars in the downtown core rather than relegating LRT to the periphery. LRT and pedestrians go together. If you move the LRT to the periphery all the pedestrian traffic will want to go to the periphery too reducing the number of potential retail customers walking on the Main Street.

Last edited:
If there is not enough space for cars, LRT, cyclist and pedestrians in the downtown core, maybe you should think about reducing the number of cars in the downtown core rather than relegating LRT to the periphery. LRT and pedestrians go together. If you move the LRT to the periphery all the pedestrian traffic will want to go to the periphery too reducing the number of potential retail customers walking on the Main Street.

Where are these pedestrians coming from? The biggest issue (from a purely Brampton perspective) with the LRT is that it touches so few in Brampton it has no chance of improving Bramptonians' access to the DT. It is, like our current GO service, purely a way of taking Bramptonians out of Brampton.

Main Street is mostly residential though, there's barely more than 1 block that is more mixed use. Queen Street has 2 solid blocks of ground floor commercial + other stuff above, plus a mix of houses and shops for a few more blocks. Plus most of the development in Brampton's plan/places to grow looks like it's supposed to be centered more along Queen (East and West) than Main. Brampton is still going to need a bus route going from Downtown northward along Main, so that bus route can just serve the stretch along main through downtown to Steeles.

Regarding making Main Street have no cars, that could be problematic. As much as I support that kind of solution where it makes sense (ex King W or Yonge in Toronto), Brampton is not Toronto, it's still pretty auto-dependent. Not only that but the street grid is very small which means Main is pretty much the only street that can carry traffic through downtown. Toronto has loads of alternate roads parallel to Yonge and King downtown.

Last edited:

Back