Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Have they looked at a possible phase two? Having the LRT end at the Brampton GO is fine for a phase one. However, there is still housing developments occurring north of there. There should be a phase two for expansion of the Hurontario-Main LRT north. And those housing developments north of the Brampton GO should be, at minimum, a medium density.

Going north on Hurontario you don't get to any developable lands until you are north of Bovaird....even then it is just the farms on the west side and I don't think they are zoned for any residential (Highway commercial right on the road and industrial behind it).

Taking it further north might introduce this LRT to provide more use to more Bramptonians but, like the portion in Brampton from GO to Steeles, is not likely to have any material impact on development patterns.

Going north on Hurontario you don't get to any developable lands until you are north of Bovaird....even then it is just the farms on the west side and I don't think they are zoned for any residential (Highway commercial right on the road and industrial behind it).

Taking it further north might introduce this LRT to provide more use to more Bramptonians but, like the portion in Brampton from GO to Steeles, is not likely to have any material impact on development patterns.
I actually think because there aren't any big lots until Bovaird, and we're not mass razing the suburbs (yet), an OBRY alignment north makes sense. We could build some massive parking structures at Bovaird, Sandalwood too.

The liberals promised a GO line on the OBRY so that may be taken now.

I don't recall that promise....link? I actually think that this corridor might be a good place to re-assign/use the diesel vehicles from the UPe after that line is electrified. If they could build some passing tracks along the way they could run a pretty decent service connecting Orangeville-Caledon-North Brampton-DT Brampton-Streetsville GO.

But I had not heard that the Libs (or any party) had actually promised something here.

They promised GO trains to dufferin county, which presumably means service to orangeville on the OBRY corridor. There has been some strong local advocacy out of orangeville for it which is probably why it occurred, even though it probably doesn't make sense financially. (It may happen with some DMUs though)

Funding would probably come out of the "outside of GTA", if it happens at all.

Last edited:
I won't go over all of my concerns about parts of this line (that would be boring for the folks who have been involved in the past 96 pages of this thread ;) ) but the bolded part of your statement needs response.

The segment of the corridor that you seem to say is not attractive for people to live and/or work in is a) has the highest combined density in the corridor now and b) by Metrolinx' own numbers going to see 48% of future residential population and 72% of future job growth in the corridor.

I wonder if Metrolinx and Places to Grow have underestimated demand for living in the GTA's more core areas and overestimated demand for the suburbs. If you look at the amount of infill occurring in Peel and Durham, it's nice and all, but it seems to be a fair bit short of what was anticipated so far. And the anticipated shift in growth from York/Peel to Durham/Halton isn't really happening either. Meanwhile Toronto's growth is exceeding expectations.

Based on the amount of growth they're expecting in the 905 census subdivisions, and the 40% infill target, the 905 should be getting 57% of infill growth. In the last 3 years, only 27% of highrise sales have been in the 905 according to BILD. And it hasn't even been increasing as Mississauga, Burlington and Richmond Hill have become built out, it was 29% from 2003-2005.

I wonder if Metrolinx and Places to Grow have underestimated demand for living in the GTA's more core areas and overestimated demand for the suburbs. If you look at the amount of infill occurring in Peel and Durham, it's nice and all, but it seems to be a fair bit short of what was anticipated so far. And the anticipated shift in growth from York/Peel to Durham/Halton isn't really happening either. Meanwhile Toronto's growth is exceeding expectations.

Some of this is the result of congestion. Folks generally like to stick within a 1 hour commute (maximum; 30 minutes is generally preferred) when looking at a home and that distance gets shorter every year.

If relief is provided, growth will both spread out.

Some of this is the result of congestion. Folks generally like to stick within a 1 hour commute (maximum; 30 minutes is generally preferred) when looking at a home and that distance gets shorter every year.

If relief is provided, growth will both spread out.

At least in the case of Brampton, this does not seem to be the factor. Brampton's growth has continued at a vigorous pace.....just in the traditional greenfield suburban housing type of growth. What has not happened is any significant intensification through development of high/mid rises. So, people seem to be saying "I don't mind living there, but in a semi or detached or maybe even town home.....but not an apartment." There have been several projects launched and with the exception of a very few they have all failed/stalled when they went to the sales process.

At least in the case of Brampton, this does not seem to be the factor. Brampton's growth has continued at a vigorous pace.....just in the traditional greenfield suburban housing type of growth. What has not happened is any significant intensification through development of high/mid rises. So, people seem to be saying "I don't mind living there, but in a semi or detached or maybe even town home.....but not an apartment." There have been several projects launched and with the exception of a very few they have all failed/stalled when they went to the sales process.

Sure. If you're willing to live in an apartment then why would you choose central Brampton over other locations with apartments which may be closer to where you work?

If you or a family member is going to make a daily sacrifice in the form of a long commute, you wouldn't expect to also make a sacrifice in living space. Brampton apartments aren't much if any cheaper than other locations. Brampton houses, however, are cheaper (or simply available) for new builds.

I would expect Brampton condos to be competing directly against areas like Square One, Thornhill, and South Etobicoke.

Last edited:
yes, this is likely priority #2 for Metrolinx at this point. There is still ~$5 billion left over after GO RER, and this is more than likely in that group of money.

Presuming no DRL (due to the relief given by the expanded GO network) and a $5 billion dollar pot of money, the list of projects I suspect will go forward are these:

Yonge extension to Steeles $1.1 billion
Hurontario LRT $1.7 billion
Dundas BRT to Hurontario: $300 million
Queen BRT: $600 milllion
Hamilton LRT: $900 Million
Waterfront East LRT: $300 million
No DRL?? Is that where things seem to be trending now?

The entire point of the DRL is to relieve pressure on the subway network, and if go improvements can do the same thing, the DRL is rendered useless.

All depends on proper studies if course, right now it is just a hypothesis.

"They" means the liberals.

No.

As I stated elsewhere, Its in Metrolinx plan, but when is still up in the air.

There is a report to come back in the fall on some sort of timetable on various things with the DRL being one of it, but more likely it will be spring 2015 when there will be a clear timetable. The current timetable falls from zero to 50 years, but more like 7-10 years.

You have to do a EA and that can take up to 5 years to do. Then you have to do some design work to get a handle on what the cost could be as well before putting some of it out for tender. Therefore, there is very little money needed for the DRL under the current 10 year funding program and it will be for EA work.

The funding of the Hurontario and Hamilton projects are not supposed to be from this $15B plan and is being funded under another plan according to the CEO of Metrolinx. I think he on the wrong page for funding and really starting to show its time for to go as he seams to have a poor understanding of his system based on various comments by him this year with this being one of them.

Under the plan I proposed to the Government in 2008 in a report, Phase 3 & 4 will to Orangeville would be by hwy 10 after the line gets to Mayfield in the 25-50 year plan. GO has taken OBRY route off the table at this time. I do see Phase 5 going to Own Sound using the old CP line route that will have to change from Orangeville at some far future date if at all.

As for numbers between 905 and 416 has more to do with the cities and regions. I can't speak for most areas, but Mississauga will double in size by 2035 if not more if the city allows more infill and development outside areas they thinks should see growth when it wants to go to areas the NIMBY don't want it as well it should go in there in the first place.

I don't expect to see subway north of Steels in this round and that will reduce the cost of the first extension.

We will have a full true picture for the Big Move come in 2016 as what will move on the ladder as to funding and construction. Even if the Yonge line gets funding to RHC, most of the money will be needed after the 10 year funding program and follow in the next wave of funding if the Libs are still in power.

The Hurontario LRT can save $250m by not building a loop that not going to do a thing for the city for the next 30 years as well waste up to 20 minutes of riders time trying to get to/from Cooksville GO station in the first place. Most of those riders will stay in their cars than using 2 different lines when it should be one.

There is a lot of development that can take place north of the DT of Brampton and will be kick started with the 2 phase of the LRT to Mayfield.

No. While various plans to move more passengers inside Toronto to Union Station, they do little to relieve Bloor-Yonge station. The connection time from Union Station to where most people are heading downtown is far too long, as well as the connection time from the Danforth line to the connection point.

Not sure what this has to do with Mississauga ...

The entire point of the DRL is to relieve pressure on the subway network, and if go improvements can do the same thing, the DRL is rendered useless.

All depends on proper studies if course, right now it is just a hypothesis.

"They" means the liberals.

No.

As I stated elsewhere, Its in Metrolinx plan, but when is still up in the air.

There is a report to come back in the fall on some sort of timetable on various things with the DRL being one of it, but more likely it will be spring 2015 when there will be a clear timetable. The current timetable falls from zero to 50 years, but more like 7-10 years.

You have to do a EA and that can take up to 5 years to do. Then you have to do some design work to get a handle on what the cost could be as well before putting some of it out for tender. Therefore, there is very little money needed for the DRL under the current 10 year funding program and it will be for EA work.

The funding of the Hurontario and Hamilton projects are not supposed to be from this $15B plan and is being funded under another plan according to the CEO of Metrolinx. I think he on the wrong page for funding and really starting to show its time for to go as he seams to have a poor understanding of his system based on various comments by him this year with this being one of them.

Under the plan I proposed to the Government in 2008 in a report, Phase 3 & 4 will to Orangeville would be by hwy 10 after the line gets to Mayfield in the 25-50 year plan. GO has taken OBRY route off the table at this time. I do see Phase 5 going to Own Sound using the old CP line route that will have to change from Orangeville at some far future date if at all.

As for numbers between 905 and 416 has more to do with the cities and regions. I can't speak for most areas, but Mississauga will double in size by 2035 if not more if the city allows more infill and development outside areas they thinks should see growth when it wants to go to areas the NIMBY don't want it as well it should go in there in the first place.

I don't expect to see subway north of Steels in this round and that will reduce the cost of the first extension.

We will have a full true picture for the Big Move come in 2016 as what will move on the ladder as to funding and construction. Even if the Yonge line gets funding to RHC, most of the money will be needed after the 10 year funding program and follow in the next wave of funding if the Libs are still in power.

The Hurontario LRT can save $250m by not building a loop that not going to do a thing for the city for the next 30 years as well waste up to 20 minutes of riders time trying to get to/from Cooksville GO station in the first place. Most of those riders will stay in their cars than using 2 different lines when it should be one.

There is a lot of development that can take place north of the DT of Brampton and will be kick started with the 2 phase of the LRT to Mayfield.

No. While various plans to move more passengers inside Toronto to Union Station, they do little to relieve Bloor-Yonge station. The connection time from Union Station to where most people are heading downtown is far too long, as well as the connection time from the Danforth line to the connection point.

Not sure what this has to do with Mississauga ...
So the answer to GenerationW's question is yes!, he is right again! At this point, Eglinton West, Sheppard as Subway and the Bloor Danforth extension will be done before the DRL. The EA should have started right after the election. Nfitz, you want relive Bloor Yonge? Make the DRL go up the the Science Centre. That will push the pressure point east.

Back