Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

that was because of cheap gas. VERY cheap gas.

Ridership fell throughout the 1990's as well, most of which experienced strong economic growth.

My understanding is that the TTC didn't start posting record ridership figures again until ~2008.. It lost a ton of ridership in the 1990's.

Transit_Ridership_Gr.jpg

Last edited:
One of the big reasons for going to downtown Brampton is to connect to the GO station. If the LRT stops at the 407 then there will be no opportunity for people who work in the MCC to arrive on the GO train from Kitchener, Guelph, Georgetown or Mt.Pleasant and take the LRT to work. All those people will have to drive. Likewise if the LRT goes to the GO station people living in Cooksville can work in Kitchener or Guelph and get there by transit (assuming two-way all-day GO service eventually comes).

The same it true of the Eglinton LRT. Based on local ridership numbers the line should stop at Don Mills or Victoria Park, but it goes to Kennedy because local riders are not the only riders. There are also all the connecting riders.

The benefit to Downtown Brampton is all those people passing through and those connections to the west, east and south make it a great place to set up an office or store, and make it a great place to live.

Couple of problems with your argument......1) in the first part you point out that Brampton is being set up as a pass through point to and from Mississauga......people living in A can get to Z by passing through Brampton. People can work in A and live in Z by passing through Brampton.......but the last part asserts that the housing/job growth in A and/or Z somehow spurs growth of housing and jobs in Brampton.....they are contra arguments.......

....2) In the very EA we are discussing they are pointing out that the vast majority of he growth in jobs and housing will not be in Brampton.

It sounds like Brampton becomes the Crewe of the network....lots of people passing through a train station but never getting out of the station. Go to England, stand on the platform at Crewe and ask people what happens in Crewe....I did it for a few hours and the answer was consistently "don't know, I have never left the station".

Ridership fell throughout the 1990's as well, most of which experienced strong economic growth.

My understanding is that the TTC didn't start posting record ridership figures again until ~2008.. It lost a ton of ridership in the 1990's.

As I recall the strong economic growth only started in the mid 1990's - coincidentally, just after Mike Harris was elected.

Yep, had nothing to do with global growth trends including an extremely fast growing US economy. (which "coincidentally" coincided with Clinton's election)

Perhaps, but this line is not being sold to the people of Brampton as a means to help get more of them out of Brampton to jobs in other places.....a big part of the pitch is the economic growth and development it will bring to Brampton......their own numbers seem to betray that as a lie.

And their numbers indicate no economic growth and development? It seems like you will believe whatever you want to believe, even if the numbers indicate the exact opposite. There is no point discussing this further with you.

Transit_Ridership_Gr.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1990s_recession

Couple of problems with your argument......1) in the first part you point out that Brampton is being set up as a pass through point to and from Mississauga......people living in A can get to Z by passing through Brampton. People can work in A and live in Z by passing through Brampton.......but the last part asserts that the housing/job growth in A and/or Z somehow spurs growth of housing and jobs in Brampton.....they are contra arguments.......

....2) In the very EA we are discussing they are pointing out that the vast majority of he growth in jobs and housing will not be in Brampton.

It sounds like Brampton becomes the Crewe of the network....lots of people passing through a train station but never getting out of the station. Go to England, stand on the platform at Crewe and ask people what happens in Crewe....I did it for a few hours and the answer was consistently "don't know, I have never left the station".

I wouldn't really call it a problem with the argument since I was basically agreeing that the LRT isn't as important to the people of downtown Brampton as it is to the people of Mississauga. The most important reason for going to Brampton is to make the connection to the GO line. The LRT going to downtown Brampton isn't a local issue - it is a regional/system-wide issue. Without that connection the whole line suffers.

However, Brampton has the opportunity to take advantage of that connection and use it to create a more attractive location (both aesthetically and financially) so that more people will want to live and work there. Quite frankly, I think next to Cooksville, downtown Brampton will be the star child of the project as far as inspiring new development and new urban spaces. If I worked in the Employment district or the MCC and were looking to buy a condo unit on the LRT line downtown Brampton would be one of the first places I'd look.

That's totally untrue. Very cheap gas? Not relative to the mid-1980s when ridership peaked. It was related to employment. Looking at the chart below, oil prices were steady (other than a brief spike in 1990/1 during Desert Storm), and only dropped around 1996-1998 - a period where TTC ridership (and employment) grew.

Not in Toronto. Employment dropped from about 1.37 million in 1990 to a low of about 1.12 million in 1996. It then started to grow, the very same year TTC ridership started to grow. It's only since 2003 or so that ridership has started to increase separately from employment.

TTC+jobs+and+ridership.jpg

Where do you get this stuff. TTC has always reported it's ridership.

Last edited:
If I worked in the Employment district or the MCC and were looking to buy a condo unit on the LRT line downtown Brampton would be one of the first places I'd look.

I know of at least two small businesses (one that I'm working with to get set up) who are locating into downtown Brampton with the idea of the LRT and the whole regional connectivity as a massive positive.

Easy to get talent in and out. Or talk to others in another part of the region.

And their numbers indicate no economic growth and development? It seems like you will believe whatever you want to believe, even if the numbers indicate the exact opposite. There is no point discussing this further with you.

I am trying to understand/believe their own numbers.

They state that by 2031 the entire corridor study area will seen an increase in population of 59k and an increase in employment of 31.5k. They also state that 48% of the population growth (28k) and 72% of the employment growth (22.7k) will happen in a stretch of the corrider that constitutes around 20% of the entire corridor.

So the other 80% of the corridor will combine for about 31k more people and about 9k new jobs. How much of this will be in that stretch of this that I have long thought was overbuilding? Even if all of those remaining new people were between Steeles and Church Street in Brampton (highly unlikely but I'll play along) that represents a growth in population of about 1,800 a year between now and 2031....so something less than 10% of Brampton's annual growth...yet this is our priority transit project?

If it is good for the region, fine.....then the proponents should say that......but the sales pitch within Brampton is that this will be transformative that it will reshape our city that it will benefit so many of us......it is just BS to sell a project that other people want/need and none of their own numbers support the kind of statements that they are making to get support within Brampton (support that, frankly, they don't need to proceed).

Record ridership not ridership in general.
Ah ... I misread ... though it's an interesting use of the verb "to post".

Ridership peaked in the 1980's and didn't return to that level until 2008.
True ... but it had nothing to do with low gas prices, and was directly linked to employment. (though the magnitude of the recent record ridership does appear to have some link to gas prices ... though I suspect increasing mid-day congestion is also a factor ...)

I am trying to understand/believe their own numbers.

They state that by 2031 the entire corridor study area will seen an increase in population of 59k and an increase in employment of 31.5k. They also state that 48% of the population growth (28k) and 72% of the employment growth (22.7k) will happen in a stretch of the corrider that constitutes around 20% of the entire corridor.

So the other 80% of the corridor will combine for about 31k more people and about 9k new jobs. How much of this will be in that stretch of this that I have long thought was overbuilding? Even if all of those remaining new people were between Steeles and Church Street in Brampton (highly unlikely but I'll play along) that represents a growth in population of about 1,800 a year between now and 2031....so something less than 10% of Brampton's annual growth...yet this is our priority transit project?

If it is good for the region, fine.....then the proponents should say that......but the sales pitch within Brampton is that this will be transformative that it will reshape our city that it will benefit so many of us......it is just BS to sell a project that other people want/need and none of their own numbers support the kind of statements that they are making to get support within Brampton (support that, frankly, they don't need to proceed).

If those population and job numbers are from the 2010 Master Plan then they represent how much growth the cities are expecting to accommodate along the corridor with or without the LRT. They are based on the province's Places-to-Grow numbers which forced municipalities to plan for a specific number of people. The LRT is part of the plan to accommodate those people. The LRT may redistribute some of those people and may actually bring in additional people (e.g. Hurontario may over perform while other parts of the cities under perform with respect to the cities' growth conformity plans) or perhaps not. No one really knows. All the cities can really do is encourage developers to build along the corridor and discourage them from developing elsewhere.

Back