Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I think it will cost too much to cancel the LRT.
I could see it being canceled and the cosst be blamed on the Wynne Government.

Does anyone know what the cost of cancellation is? As far as I know we have not picked the winner on who would build it nevermind signed any contracts.

It would seem to me the only contractual obligation made was for the vehicles.

In an ideal world line 2 to Square one to supplement Hurontario LRT would be great. Scarborough and Mississauga are both equally important to better integrate with transit, but only one is getting the attention.

In an ideal world 0 subway extensions would be made and the funds for that would be pumped into regional express rail, and more subways in the core of Toronto.

Subways are not intended for a long distance regional network. With a 40km/h average speed and many stops, with no possibility of express service (exponential cost to build 3 tracks) as well as a very high cost of construction per km, they terribly serve the outer GTA.

With an average speed of 100km/h, express service and longer distanced stops, and a much lower cost of construction per km, regional express rail is the ideal solution for GTA service.

yes it would benefit Etobicoke...but they would get all the benefit they need with an expansion to Cloverdale or Sherway........ the part beyond there is outside of Toronto.....you seemed to be asking why STC gets more attention than SQ1 when talking about subways....if that is not what you were asking/wondering, please accept my apologies for misunderstanding you.

More just pointing out that subways are being expanded outside the 416, so it's not unreasonable to debate the idea of expanding into Mississauga. Also, there was plans to expand RT technology from Kipling into Mississauga in the 80's like the Scarborough RT.

More just pointing out that subways are being expanded outside the 416, so it's not unreasonable to debate the idea of expanding into Mississauga. Also, there was plans to expand RT technology from Kipling into Mississauga in the 80's like the Scarborough RT.
It is not unreasonable to debate expanding the subway to Square 1.....in fact, in the short time I have been a member of these boards I think it has been debated many times ;)......I think there is a relatively large number of people here who know what they are talking about (not including myself in that category) who think it is a bad idea (the subway not the debating of the subway).

This business lobby group will likely re-present their idea and support for LRT on McLaughlin and Kennedy, and probably the rest of the "Figure 8" loop idea which is in the 2040 Vision concept. I would imagine the Mayor-elect will be there and speak given this group strongly backed him. He'll likely again say he's in favour of the Figure 8 loop and will demand the province and feds pay for it.

Are the PCs really going to “cry poor” and cancel the “Huron LRT” (lol) then in the same breath promise a subway to Square One? Which would not cost $1-2 billion, as was stated earlier in this thread. Distance is about 12km x $372 million per km for subway construction (based on TYSSE) = ~$4.5 billion.
But based on estimates for the Scarborough extension (~$5 billion for 5kms of tunnel & 1 stop), this could become $10 billion or more easily, especially if more than one stop is envisioned, by the time shovels hit the ground.

Not to mention a 4 year wait for LRT vs 15-20 years for any subway.

Last edited:
Are the PCs really going to “cry poor” and cancel the “Huron LRT” (lol) then in the same breath promise a subway to Square One? Which would not cost $1-2 billion, as was stated earlier in this thread. Distance is about 12km x $372 million per km for subway construction (based on TYSSE) = ~$4.5 billion.
But based on estimates for the Scarborough extension (~$5 billion for 5kms of tunnel & 1 stop), this could become $10 billion or more easily, especially if more than one stop is envisioned, by the time shovels hit the ground.

Not to mention a 4 year wait for LRT vs 15-20 years for any subway.

Absolutely yes, especially because it's in the future. You can promise any lavish thing 15 years down the road for free essentially.

Absolutely yes, especially because it's in the future. You can promise any lavish thing 15 years down the road for free essentially.

I agree 100%. Especially where Ford(s) are concerned. The question is, I f the PCs try this, how vehemently will the business community in Mississauga complain, I.e. developers getting set to unlock some of the potential of north central Mississauga based on the LRT coming in? Would such an outcry be enough to see the LRT saved?

Exactly.

Subways can be touted as a better investment, one they never have to make.

It wouldn't shock me if this government cancels every LRT except Eglinton, and then proposes some insane subway plans.

I agree 100%. Especially where Ford(s) are concerned. The question is, I f the PCs try this, how vehemently will the business community in Mississauga complain, I.e. developers getting set to unlock some of the potential of north central Mississauga based on the LRT coming in? Would such an outcry be enough to see the LRT saved?

Just add the promise of a subway in place of Huron LRT in addition to a Line 2 extension into Misssisauga and Volia, problem solved. Some other premier a decade from now will be stuck holding the bag. Given that Ontario tends to alternate parties every few terms, it's a good chance that it will be a Liberal or NDP premier to boot. A win-win for the PCs

Back