Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I haven't looked at the numbers for quite a while, but I somehow have a feeling that Hurontario LRT ridership would be half of what Finch LRT might be.

Would it? Hurontario LRT: trunk route for a large municipality with substantial % of transit usage, with no competing parallel routes, and directly connected to the city centre.

Finch LRT (current phase): short peripheral route that feeds into a suburban subway station. Essentially, an improved bus, on steels wheels, with higher capacity, and running in its own lanes.

If Finch LRT, under those conditions, is expected to carry 3,000 per hour per direction at peak, then how can Hurontario fail to reach at least 5,000?

Ridership for Hurontario LRT is projected to be 20,100 and Finch West LRT 2,800 (that is by 2031 per hour per direction).

Thanks for the links. I kinda found the numbers sitting side-by-side confusing since they represent different things.

Hurontario 20,100 is AM peak ridership; total daily is 102,000.

Finch, extrapolating from the peak ridership (since I didn't see them in a quick scan of the document) would be around 11,000 AM peak (x4 of peak hour+direction) and 60,000/day (same ratio as Hurontario for peak-to-day). This is somewhere around 20% growth over today's bus ridership despite missing the Yonge<->Spadina section.

Hurontario has a lower peak point load (1600) but that's offset by much higher turnover; so largely short trips connecting bus routes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I kinda found the numbers sitting side-by-side confusing since they represent different things.

Hurontario 20,100 is AM peak ridership; total daily is 102,000.

Finch, extrapolating from the peak ridership (since I didn't see them in a quick scan of the document) would be around 11,000 AM peak (x4 of peak hour+direction) and 60,000/day (same ratio as Hurontario for peak-to-day). This is somewhere around 20% growth over today's bus ridership despite missing the Yonge<->Spadina section.

Hurontario has a lower peak point load (1600) but that's offset by much higher turnover; so largely short trips connecting bus routes.

Yeah, not quite apples to apples comparison. Could not find ridership data about Finch West on Metrolinx website.
I'd say you're number crunching definitely is in the ballpark.

Isn't this exactly where BRT is preferable?
Those bus routes could share the BRT lanes to create fewer connections.

I haven't looked at the numbers for quite a while, but I somehow have a feeling that Hurontario LRT ridership would be half of what Finch LRT might be.

Here's a graphic for Finch since others have already discussed the Hurontario Line.

lrtsubways2.png

Talks about headway

""Many high density development projects are timed to be ready for the LRT arrival. As population and employment grow across the corridor, the Hurontario LRT will double the corridor's capacity to move people and significantly improve transit times. With trains servicing stops every 5 minutes during rush hour and every 6-8 minus during off-peak hours, the LRT will make it convenient for transit riders to get to their destinations easily.""

Back