Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Which is entirely consistent with what they said today...they want to push the subway into York (again) which would be Markham, Durham (Pickering) and today they added Peel to that.....but, just like the Scarborough subway replacement for the LRT what you will get is less transit but transit that is fancier/faster/more expensive to build. Nothing in that story suggests to me that they are thinking of building subway up HuLRT, but it does re(inforce) the suspicion that they are thinking of cancelling the HuLRT (and others) entirely so that they can push the subway into Peel (and York and Durham).

Since there isn't a Peel transit thread I think it's relevant and I'll keep posting material on decisions that could impact the HuLRT. It's fine if folks disagree on the relevancy.

Since there isn't a Peel transit thread I think it's relevant and I'll keep posting material on decisions that could impact the HuLRT. It's fine if folks disagree on the relevancy.
I was not challenging the relevancy, I was challenging your suggestion that there is a chance HuLRT would become HuSubway ;)

God this city/province is so stupid when it comes to rapid transit expansion. The last thing we need is to push the subway farther into surrounding regions, especially Durham. That's what RER is for. Subway expansion is desperately needed in the core of the city, not the edge. This is why we're falling further behind Montreal and Vancouver, never mind the rest of the world.

Anyone who has taken a subway for a long distance knows that it SUCKS. Subways are relatively slow and stop a lot, compared to Regional Express Rail.

I had a friend taking the subway into work from Kipling to Union, and I suggested to take the GO train. After some resistance, he was like "OH MY GOD, this is SO much better." Because it is.

But its all about populism. People in the GTA don't know about electrified express rail, they know subways. Its an easier sell.

The lowest common denominator wins again.

You’re impling the Hurontario LRT won’t be cancelled for a Line 2 Extension to Square One.

Would not be surprised at all if this idea is brought forward by the PC's. It's honestly not a terrible idea, but the main motivation around LRT was a better cost/benefit ratio. And of course LRT has been good at building up areas in the corridor it runs.

In an ideal world line 2 to Square one to supplement Hurontario LRT would be great. Scarborough and Mississauga are both equally important to better integrate with transit, but only one is getting the attention.
only one of them is inside the "416" and supporting TTC operations directly with their property tax ;)

Anyone who has taken a subway for a long distance knows that it SUCKS. Subways are relatively slow and stop a lot, compared to Regional Express Rail.
Exactly!
Another example: I commute from the West End to York University. Despite the much touted subway extension, the trip still takes one hour by subway. Most days I take the 41 bus on Keele instead, because it takes about the same time, but I can stay in the same seat and don't have to transfer at overcrowded St George.
I would take a GO RER train from Lansdowne in a heartbeat, even if it costs more than the subway.

only one of them is inside the "416" and supporting TTC operations directly with their property tax ;)

Yeah. It would of course benefit Etobicoke with stops at East and West mall. Added to that expanding outside 416 will become the norm (ex. Richmond Hill & Vaughan line 1).

Yeah. It would of course benefit Etobicoke with stops at East and West mall. Added to that expanding outside 416 will become the norm (ex. Richmond Hill & Vaughan line 1).
yes it would benefit Etobicoke...but they would get all the benefit they need with an expansion to Cloverdale or Sherway........ the part beyond there is outside of Toronto.....you seemed to be asking why STC gets more attention than SQ1 when talking about subways....if that is not what you were asking/wondering, please accept my apologies for misunderstanding you.

Back