Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

McGuinty, and more fabulously Wynne, talked expansively about transit but in a way that was patently disprovable: Ontario simply did not and does not have either the money, or the depth of construction capability, to achieve it all. It was a bit like somebody being engaged to two people at the same time. We may have congratulated them on their decision to marry, but clearly it wasn’t going to end well.
In fact, reality did bite - McGuinty scaled things back fairly quietly, Wynne just kept talking but never came through with the goods. Things like hydrail demonstrate that reality had set in, but rather than admit to promising fiction, Wynne looked for Hail Mary plays and doubled down on impossible, destructive over borrowing. The public didn’t buy it.
The truth is, there was an actual ramping up of spending under both administrations, but again truth hurts. You can’t deliver new service unless you build the underlying enabling infrastructure: ownership of rail lines, expanded layover yards, maintenance bases, track, signalling. None of these are sexy or politically marketable. I would argue that the Libs did in fact deliver that foundation investment, so they served us well. But they overlaid that sound and prudent forward progress with a healthy icing of puffery, unfulfillable promises, and self serving photo ops. Which branded them as liars and opportunists when, underneath, some good work was done.
The priblem with Ford is that clearly he has no good ideas and is choosing to simply mumble and study instread of delivering a different plan. The problem with Conservatism these days is that they can’t grapple with the need for growth.... anything progressive sounding is discarded as ‘liberalism’. This us especially unhelpful with transportation, as the old solution (cars, and roads) has run its course and a new strategy is needed.
Personally I would like to see the Ministers of Finance and Transport agree on a sustainable per-year amount to be spent on transportation infrastructure. Instead of being ‘against’ things, they can simply declare what is first on the list, and then build it- but only as fast as their agreed to purse will permit.
We need Ford’s determination to restore fiscal sanity, but we need him to be ‘for’ things instead of resisting them. It that means that subways rise to the top of the list, development and transit habita will adapt to that. Not my preference, but it’s better than false promises and waiting for things that never arrive.

- Paul

I spoke with someone from the office of MPP Khaleed Rasheed last week, and they advised that an announcement was anticipated in February/March 2019. I was told that they have not yet received any indication that the government intends to cancel this project, but this was acknowledged as a potential outcome.

McGuinty, and more fabulously Wynne, talked expansively about transit but in a way that was patently disprovable: Ontario simply did not and does not have either the money, or the depth of construction capability, to achieve it all. It was a bit like somebody being engaged to two people at the same time. We may have congratulated them on their decision to marry, but clearly it wasn’t going to end well.
In fact, reality did bite - McGuinty scaled things back fairly quietly, Wynne just kept talking but never came through with the goods. Things like hydrail demonstrate that reality had set in, but rather than admit to promising fiction, Wynne looked for Hail Mary plays and doubled down on impossible, destructive over borrowing. The public didn’t buy it.
The truth is, there was an actual ramping up of spending under both administrations, but again truth hurts. You can’t deliver new service unless you build the underlying enabling infrastructure: ownership of rail lines, expanded layover yards, maintenance bases, track, signalling. None of these are sexy or politically marketable. I would argue that the Libs did in fact deliver that foundation investment, so they served us well. But they overlaid that sound and prudent forward progress with a healthy icing of puffery, unfulfillable promises, and self serving photo ops. Which branded them as liars and opportunists when, underneath, some good work was done.
The priblem with Ford is that clearly he has no good ideas and is choosing to simply mumble and study instread of delivering a different plan. The problem with Conservatism these days is that they can’t grapple with the need for growth.... anything progressive sounding is discarded as ‘liberalism’. This us especially unhelpful with transportation, as the old solution (cars, and roads) has run its course and a new strategy is needed.
Personally I would like to see the Ministers of Finance and Transport agree on a sustainable per-year amount to be spent on transportation infrastructure. Instead of being ‘against’ things, they can simply declare what is first on the list, and then build it- but only as fast as their agreed to purse will permit.
We need Ford’s determination to restore fiscal sanity, but we need him to be ‘for’ things instead of resisting them. It that means that subways rise to the top of the list, development and transit habita will adapt to that. Not my preference, but it’s better than false promises and waiting for things that never arrive.

- Paul
When McGuinty started talking transit in 2003, I said he needs to get a checkbook out and write a check yearly for $3 billion for the next 20 years based on the GTA area, with the bulk going to Toronto.

As time went on and expanding beyond the GTA, the check has jump to $7 billion yearly.

If HSR, the missing link and more subway are built in place of BRT/ LRT, along with other things are to be added, the check needs to $9 billion. The check cover maintenance, replacing items as they come due, expansion and so on.

McGuinty fail to understand the cost of doing transit like he wanted to the point rejected the first budget of $90 billion and wanted it reduced to $50 billion. Overtime, various projects were push back 10 years due to lack of funds that allow the Fords and Tory to change things to the point they will cost more, take longer to build or were cancel.

The power to be have also fail to informed the public that to do various things it promise to do, they had to upgrade all existing rail corridors, build more yards and stations, order new rolling stock, train new crews and the list goes on. The public only hears there will be new service coming to the point they bitch when it doesn't show up as plan, because the things that need to be done in the first place is costing more, taking longer to do or delay because of lacks of funds and train crews.

Both the government and Metrolinx have try to do everything at once with great failure than to do a line by line first. Also, do one very large project and a number of small ones as quick wins to show the public what it has done and what to expect over time. They also fail to write a policy with teeth to stop things being change like the Fords and Tory have done so since 2010.

A few here have expressed the view all or part of the Hurontario LRT should have been BRT (can't remember if they want BRT or BRT-lite). Well, I'm sure they'll be thrilled that the Minister is musing Peel should get a subway...

I doubt he is musing that HuLRT should be a subway....by pushing the subway into Peel he is likely thinking of extending line 2 west into Mississauga.

A few here have expressed the view all or part of the Hurontario LRT should have been BRT (can't remember if they want BRT or BRT-lite). Well, I'm sure they'll be thrilled that the Minister is musing Peel should get a subway...

God this city/province is so stupid when it comes to rapid transit expansion. The last thing we need is to push the subway farther into surrounding regions, especially Durham. That's what RER is for. Subway expansion is desperately needed in the core of the city, not the edge. This is why we're falling further behind Montreal and Vancouver, never mind the rest of the world.

^ https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-subways-1.4715880

Incoming premier Doug Ford says his government will one day build subways to Pickering and Markham — cities that are already served by GO Transit's above-ground rail lines.

Ford made the claim at a Pickering news conference where he was asked about a dubious British study that suggests Toronto has the worst commute in North America.

"We've been preaching for 10 years in Toronto … we love subways. Rapid underground transit," Ford told reporters.

He then attacked light rail, a less expensive form of transit being built in municipalities across Ontario.

"They rip up two lanes of road traffic and they clunk along the street — antiquated system," he said.

Which is entirely consistent with what they said today...they want to push the subway into York (again) which would be Markham, Durham (Pickering) and today they added Peel to that.....but, just like the Scarborough subway replacement for the LRT what you will get is less transit but transit that is fancier/faster/more expensive to build. Nothing in that story suggests to me that they are thinking of building subway up HuLRT, but it does re(inforce) the suspicion that they are thinking of cancelling the HuLRT (and others) entirely so that they can push the subway into Peel (and York and Durham).

Back