Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Hamilton is much closer in size to Mississauga than K-W. And it's impossible to define which cities "need" or don't need an LRT. I think in the case of Hamilton, the LRT is a tremendous opportunity to revitalize the downtown, which it not seen as the nicest area. It's also a chance to improve urban density and limit urban sprawl which is going on all across Ontario.

Well, I am only saying it because you never know what said city want for an LRT. You never know if they want it built in one way or another. In the case of Hamilton, if the majorty bus trips are made along one of the proposed LRT corridor, then it makes sense.

I was just looking at HSR map, I can't see anything that would match up. Check @blaixx's comment.
One wuld think they would be running express buses along those routes to really gauge the ridership.
Express routes 10 and 20 run along the B & A lines respectively. Local route 41 serves the "T line" and local 44 serves the "S line". Those last two routes are many many years away from requiring rapid transit, although an express T bus could be nice in the short term.

Express routes 10 and 20 run along the B & A lines respectively. Local route 41 serves the "T line" and local 44 serves the "S line". Those last two routes are many many years away from requiring rapid transit, although an express T bus could be nice in the short term.

What is the ridership for the 10 and 20?

I dont have the actual ridership counts on hand, but I know the B-Line has very high ridership counts to the point that it basically subsidizes many low ridership routes that the city has. The A-Line does very well, but the B-Line's ridership is still much higher.

I don't think Hamilton has ever published per-route ridership numbers but anecdotally, the B-line is quite busy, especially in the western portion. The A-line is not as busy and it only runs at 20 or 30 minute frequencies compared to every 10 minutes on the B-line (plus overlapping local routes).
Here is the B(L)AST network overlaid with the HSR map for reference:
HSR minimap.png

I don't think Hamilton has ever published per-route ridership numbers but anecdotally, the B-line is quite busy, especially in the western portion. The A-line is not as busy and it only runs at 20 or 30 minute frequencies compared to every 10 minutes on the B-line (plus overlapping local routes).
Here is the B(L)AST network overlaid with the HSR map for reference:
View attachment 173090

Thansk for this. Just needs the L-line to Waterdown via York and Highway 6, don't know what route(s) that is.

There's actually no HSR service between Waterdown and the rest of Hamilton! I'm guessing the L-line only exists on paper is for political reasons.

There's actually no HSR service between Waterdown and the rest of Hamilton! I'm guessing the L-line only exists on paper is for political reasons.
Probably political given the HSR Waterdown bus only runs twice an hour. Presumably to meet the GO Train more than anything else.

The proposed L route is a short 8 km run from downtown along York and 6. Presumably supplementing the existing HSR Waterdown service, as it neither penetrates the subdivision, nor serves Aldershot. Not particularly expensive to run - but hard to see the demand without massive redevelopment!

1549395408918.png

Hamilton is much closer in size to Mississauga than K-W. And it's impossible to define which cities "need" or don't need an LRT. I think in the case of Hamilton, the LRT is a tremendous opportunity to revitalize the downtown, which it not seen as the nicest area. It's also a chance to improve urban density and limit urban sprawl which is going on all across Ontario.
This is both the strength and the weakness of the 'Hamilton case'. It's cathartic more than cartage.

The CMA of Hamilton/Burlington has 750k. 180k are in Burlington so 570K in Hamilton (never understood why Burlington is part of the CMA...more closely linked with Oakville than Hamilton in my eyes)
CMA of KW & Cambridge is 520k
Mississauga is 720k.

So Hamilton is closer to KWC than Mississauga.

The CMA of Hamilton/Burlington has 750k. 180k are in Burlington so 570K in Hamilton (never understood why Burlington is part of the CMA...more closely linked with Oakville than Hamilton in my eyes)
CMA of KW & Cambridge is 520k
Mississauga is 720k.

So Hamilton is closer to KWC than Mississauga.

And KW has the Ion.

Back