Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The CMA of Hamilton/Burlington has 750k. 180k are in Burlington so 570K in Hamilton (never understood why Burlington is part of the CMA...more closely linked with Oakville than Hamilton in my eyes)
CMA of KW & Cambridge is 520k
Mississauga is 720k.

So Hamilton is closer to KWC than Mississauga.
Burlington is unusual as it is well connected with both Hamilton and Oakville / the GTA. Burlington's two busiest bus routes are the two that go to Hamilton - but it also has a huge amount of GO commuters going downtown.

Some parts of Aldershot are closer to downtown Hamilton than most of the Mountian is in Hamilton - and many Hamilton residents in Waterdown have to drive through Burlington to get to the rest of Hamilton. Though at the same time Burlington residents in the Burloak area are not really Hamilton related at all - it's clearly a suburb of Toronto.

It really sort of belongs to both CMAs.

Fred (the mayor) has no more excuses for a shovel not to hit a ground on this project. If he some how finds a way to goof up on this to the point that this becomes yet another election issue, he deserves to be ejected from politics for the rest of his life.

Nevertheless, i'm really surprised this project escaped the cost-cutting wrath of Doug Ford.

It's likely entirely a political calculation. Hamilton is generally split three-ways between the three parties and the PCs want to remain competitive in those ridings. You don't want to upset any considerable constituency within Hamilton, because if you lose even 10% of your base due to your position on LRTs, that is enough to cause a swing in the polls that will prove consequential in the next election.

Hamilton in a way, is very lucky that the last municipal election was a referendum on the LRT. It's honestly, tied with the Finch West LRT as the most likely LRT to be built following ion in Kitchener-Waterloo at this point.

Meanwhile, I expect more meddling from Ford with Hurontario.

^In which time I wouldnt be surprised if city council creates a vote on whether or not Hamilton really, really wants LRT or whether the money should be used for "improved transit" and roads.

^In which time I wouldnt be surprised if city council creates a vote on whether or not Hamilton really, really wants LRT or whether the money should be used for "improved transit" and roads.
Oh no, the #yesLRT residents will work hard to keep the LRT.

Besides, the council voted over 40 (FOURTY) times Yes towards LRT at all the critical votes, when push came to shove, we always followed through.

List of votes since 2006:
TL;DR: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, [...], yes, yes, yes.

Politicking nonwithstanding....
....The #yesLRT team makes goddamn sure that they don't dare try on the critical municipal votes.

Fundraising mere tens of thousands (disclaimer: some donations from me, too), the pro-LRT residents outmanoevered NOLRT that raised six figures including Vito Sgro. And Hamilton's population, overall, has generally voted #yesLRT more often than not. The council is currently more pro-LRT than not, so the votes are there. Since 2006, LRT planning even survived a term of an anti-LRT mayor too.

Council will have their airtime squealing misgivings and tweaking compromises. but the critical votes, they do yield so far.
E-v-e-r-y. S-i-n-g-l-e. T-I-M-E!

Last edited:
I agree, no matter how much people want cold, pure logic to prevail, politics and public policy is still a popularity and PR contest in the end.

It's why canvassing & GOTV campaigns are so crucial in any sort of election.

Last edited:
It's not very clear in the article, so I've highlighted the LRT route, stops, maintenance spur, and yard location over a Google Maps satellite shot. I'm not sure what's going on in their render because those factory-looking buildings would be blocking the route to the yard.

Last edited:
Because of the surge of interest in the MSF -- now that the land is purchased and the facility will be built quickly (e.g. 2-3 years earlier) prior to the completion of the Hamilton LRT mainline. So a significant MSF build during Fred Eisenberger's term is a barometer of successful uncancellable completion of the Hamilton LRT.

It's a great time to reposting my 2017 post, for a more detailed imagery of what the MSF will look like.

Are you able to post the track plan for that stretch? I'd be interested in seeing it.
Here you go. from LRT Presentation of Open House second series.

And zoomed version of the tracks:

upload_2017-4-28_13-3-37-png.107104

Here's what satellite view looks like today:

So the MSF is being built in old industry brownfields.

Back