Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The reference design will be used for contractors to make estimates and schedules, and then they'll use them to develop detailed design packages for specific packages. Seems like metrolinx is doing high level design, and then leaving the detailed construction design to the proponents. The trouble with these RFPs is that it takes time for the consortiums to organize.

The reference design will be used for contractors to make estimates and schedules, and then they'll use them to develop detailed design packages for specific packages. Seems like metrolinx is doing high level design, and then leaving the detailed construction design to the proponents. The trouble with these RFPs is that it takes time for the consortiums to organize.
I wonder if they can keep costs down by doing this, because it's part of Metrolinx's regular budget rather than the LRT specific budget.

I wonder if they can keep costs down by doing this, because it's part of Metrolinx's regular budget rather than the LRT specific budget.

My feeling is Metrolinx is passing the buck to the contractor to get out of the mess of poor designs or drawings that were wrong to deal with the cost overrun caused by them.

In fact, you are passing the cost onto the contractors who have to them do engineering drawings to arrive at a cost to build the line and any cost overrun will be their responsibility and have to eat it. The contractors will come up with a cost and factor in extra cost to help to cover any cost overruns and this takes a lot of time to do.

It will cost every contractor a fair amount of money that is nor recoverable for the design work if they lose the bid. Some things will be straight forward both design and cost wise assuming all the correct info what is underground is correct while other areas are not. Those areas will required more design work to arrive at a cost.

Back