Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Considering the LRT wouldn't be built for another 5 years or so, by that time the gap between development and the airport would probably be only a couple km's. If Toronto was to build an LRT within 2km of Pearson, wouldn't you agree they should have extended it?

It's 7km, not 2km. Pearson moved 31.51 million passengers last year. Hamilton had 0.66.

Lessee, 662,000 passengers divided by 365 is an average 1,813 a day. With a generous 15% modal split, 272. At a low 15-minute frequency operating 6am-11pm, that's an average 4 passengers per trip.

That's pushing things close to a $1000 per passenger subsidy level just for capital costs.

Ah, yes, the Toronto Suburban. The line that managed to avoid most of the only trip generators along its route, such as the Village of Streetsville and the Town of Brampton, hitting secondary villages and hamlets like Cooksville, Meadowvale and Streetsville.

When people seriously defend building light rail where there's few riders, it starts to sound like the worst of Transit City, like the outer end of Scarborough-Malvern.

Just so you know the Southern boundary of Hamilton is now Twenty Road and not Rymal.

Also currently there's nearly 1,000 employees around the Airport, it's a major cargo hub for Southern Ontario.

^Stop the presses!

1,000 employees hardly makes a dent. Again, if we use CDL's very optimistic 15% mode share figure, that's 150 people a day, or about the capacity of 1 light rail vehicle. As for cargo, that parts trolley at the VW plant in Dresden was cute as a button for five minutes, but it was probably more symbolic of the largesse of government handouts to the old East Germany than anything remotely useful.

If new maintenance facilities are constructed at the existing HSR garage for the new LRT, it will be pretty close to the airport already. There could then be demands from the rapidly growing Mt. Hope area to extend the service "just 1 km" and then "just 1km" to the airport. The city might like that as they could then start charging Glanbrrok for transit service on their property taxes.

Hamilton is going through a Secondary Plan process for the lands around the airport to be an employment district. I believe it will be more than just industrial, with prestige commercial and related uses. The expected completed buildout is still far away, 2031, but that's not to say they shouldn't incorporate the LRT plans now. An LRT is probably not warranted now, but they should put in wide enough easements to allow for a future LRT ROW. The LRT could also encourage greater densities for key nodes in the Secondary Plan.

Airport Employment Growth District

The maintenance facility for the A-Line will be built at the existing HSR serice terminal which is right next to the Airport.

There's currently 1,000 employes but again that's current and with the new prime industrial land being serviced I'd imagine more employment will be created. The city is predicting most new companies locating to the land will be related to the Airport such as cargo bunsiness and warehouses (probably all mostly warehouses).

With oil and aviation fuel becoming scarcer and scarced (and you'd be deluded to thinking this is just temporary), don't bank on massive warehouses near Hamilton Airport.

Just so you know the Southern boundary of Hamilton is now Twenty Road and not Rymal.

Yeah, we know. Good logic for "Dan Ryaning" the LRT along Hwy 6 to Freelton, as well. (Heck, do that Toronto Suburban trip all over again, and push it on into Guelph.)

As much as I love to rail against LRT on certain projects in the 416, I fully support Hamilton's LRT ambitions and I think it's a great city to have LRT.
Toronto is a great city to have LRT - in the right places. I don't think I've heard one person speak out against LRT on Finch West, Jane, or Kingston Road ... or even Don Mills north of Eglinton (yeah, I know there's always going to be some - so no need to prove me wrong, I know your out there ...).

Even on Sheppard West it doesn't seem horrific if it doesn't preclude a subway (imagine an extension with 3 stops ... Victoria Park, Agincourt, and STC ... with links to LRT at Don Mills, Victoria Park, and Agincourt. Heck, imagine a Finch East LRT from Yonge to Don Mills Road/Seneca ...

City will know transit scenario today
'I anticipate that Hamilton will like the plan,' says Metrolinx boss

September 23, 2008
Rob Faulkner
The Hamilton Spectator

City staff want to start building a light-rail transit system in just three years.

Today, they'll find out if Hamilton is on the radar for any rapid transit at all. Metrolinx is unveiling a much-awaited draft regional transportation plan and investment strategy.

The big local question: Will Hamilton light-rail transit -- which city planners estimate could cost $1.1 billion to build -- get OK'd as Metrolinx plots the rollout of the $17.5-billion MoveOntario 2020 plan? "I anticipate that Hamilton will like the plan," said a restrained Rob MacIsaac, the former Burlington mayor now chair of Metrolinx, a Crown agency of the province.

"It's an important step forward for the whole region in understanding the routes we see as being of regional significance, and there will be a number of routes that are significant for Hamilton's purposes," MacIsaac said. Last year's MoveOntario 2020 announcement said $300 million was available for Hamilton rapid transit. Timelines are expected in October, MacIsaac said, so today is a day for strategic answers.

The city wants a route with rail westbound on King and eastbound on Main; it would send rail south on James, up the Claremont Access, and to the airport on Upper James. The Claremont is still being studied, for cost and its grade.

The city estimates it will cost $160 an hour per vehicle to run a street-level, light-rail system. A bus rapid transit system would cost $480 million to build.

Jill Stephen, manager of strategic planning, said staff work sped up after an invite to see Metrolinx in July 2007, to discuss hopes for local transportation.

There have been feasibility studies, internal meetings, meetings with Metrolinx, staff lunch and learn sessions, even a four-day road trip to Charlotte, N.C., Portland, Ore., and Calgary.

"We told (Metrolinx) that the public here wants light rail, and that our council has given us approval to look exclusively at light rail," said Stephen, crediting the community group Hamilton Light Rail for helping city staff with research and input.

If it's part of the 2009-13 Metrolinx budget, city staff say construction could start in 2011 or later.

Earlier this month, a leaked draft plan for spending $55 billion over 25 years to fix Toronto-Hamilton congestion included all-day GO train service between the cities every 15 minutes and rapid transit lines here. MacIsaac downplayed the leak, and said it was not the most recent version.

Ryan McGreal is editor of the Raise the Hammer blog and member of Hamilton Light Rail, a group formed a year ago out of a feeling that the city wasn't pursuing LRT and settling for bus rapid transit.

"The problem in Canada is that we have very little experience with light rail transit, so people around here tend to think of the old Toronto streetcars," he said. "And there has been a sense in Hamilton for a long time that our expectations have been diminished."

But, he said, the city soon shifted its work into high gear.

Nicholas Kevlahan, a McMaster University math professor and co-founder of Hamilton Light Rail, said today may see the start of a city-changing initiative.

"Metrolinx's announcement is key and, if they do it properly, will be transforming Hamilton and the GTA in the next 20 years," he said.

Yeah, that image is from Richmond Hill- I believe its Weldrick and Yonge..There is a Nandos and Mr. Transmission on the east side of Yonge- this was probably pulled from the VIVA presentation.

p5

Mayor: we must move fast on LRT

October 01, 2008
Rob Faulkner
The Hamilton Spectator

Mayor Fred Eisenberger and city staff have less than a month to convince council the city needs light rail.

Then the focus will turn to persuading transportation agency Metrolinx to fund it.

A Metrolinx draft plan last month shortlisted an east-west rapid transit line from Centennial Parkway to McMaster University for funding -- but it didn't specify whether it would be a rail or bus line.

Eisenberger told The Spectator editorial board yesterday city staff are actively pursuing the light rail option.

"I'm confident the majority of councillors will be completely on board," he said.

On Oct. 20, the public works committee votes on whether city staff should continue to work with Metrolinx to make LRT a reality. Council votes Oct. 29.

Metrolinx is expected to decide what projects will be funded in its initial five-year budget in November.

The city wants the east-west line -- using Main and King in some combination -- to be named in the that funding envelope.

Eisenberger said that decision is crucial.

"We've got very close connections with Metrolinx staff. I see (Metrolinx chair Rob MacIsaac) often. I want to keep it that way ..."

Eisenberger is also on the Metrolinx board.

After touring LRT systems in Charlotte, N.C., Portland, Ore., and Calgary, initially skeptical Ancaster Councillor Lloyd Ferguson is now convinced it's the way to go, if Metrolinx assumes all capital costs.

LRT is cheaper to operate than a bus fleet, it could change the entire city's image, and may bring Hamilton the kind of construction boom Charlotte saw, Ferguson said yesterday.

By city estimates, a two-line light rail system will cost about $1.1 billion but promises to boost land values and revive the downtown.

LRT is cheaper to operate than a bus fleet, it could change the entire city's image, and may bring Hamilton the kind of construction boom Charlotte saw, Ferguson said yesterday.

Charlotte is the second largest banking centre in the US after New York. Hamilton?

Councillors offer early support for light rail

October 02, 2008
Rob Faulkner
The Hamilton Spectator

City council appears to be lining up behind Mayor Fred Eisenberger to support the bid for light rail transit.

Eisenberger is hoping to line up votes for an Oct. 20 public works meeting and subsequent Oct. 29 council decision.

A draft plan from Metrolinx, a provincial Crown agency, shortlisted an east-west rapid transit line from Centennial Parkway to McMaster University for funding -- but didn't say if it'll be rail or bus.

City staff have been actively pursuing light rail as their preferred option, and are poised to update council this month and get support to do more work with Metrolinx.

A poll of council by the Spectator found most support the continued pursuit. Of 15 councillors, 12 replied. All but two gave clear support, though several had conditions.

Margaret McCarthy and Bernie Morelli are undecided until they hear the staff presentation. Lloyd Ferguson will be in support if Metrolinx pays capital costs. Chad Collins is supportive but wants a lot of community input before traffic is affected or land is expropriated.

Other councillors supporting light rail are Bob Bratina, Brad Clark, Scott Duvall, Brian McHattie, Sam Merulla, Dave Mitchell, Maria Pearson and Russ Powers.

The positions of Tom Jackson, Robert Pasuta and Terry Whitehead were unknown at press time.

Metrolinx is expected to reveal projects it will fund in its initial five-year budget in November. The city wants the east-west line -- using Main and King in some combination -- to make it into this funding envelope so work can begin in 2011.

Back