Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Do we have confirmation that extending to Eastgate isn't nixing the A-Line BRT? My understanding was that nixing the A-Line LRT spur allowed full A-Line BRT.

In the end, it was the province that created this debacle. They originally chopped Queenston to Eastgate on B to get the LRT spur on A.
(We could dig deeper at the foundation of the province's (Wynne's) unwillingness to implement the Big Move Investment Strategy but I don't want to go derail the thread, not with the more pertinent breaking news)

Wow some councillors are so far gone that even a tour of KW can't convince them.

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 9.47.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 9.47.30 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 9.47.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 9.47.30 PM.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 321
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 9.47.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 9.47.20 PM.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 308
Brampton, this is what could have been for you.
the more I read about Hamilton (just started to pay attention recently with the publicity it has been getting) the more I see how different the situations are and, frankly, how inconsistent we are in our arguments for/against transit sometimes.

Close call Hamilton...made the right decision here. This money would have been gone.
the more I read about Hamilton (just started to pay attention recently with the publicity it has been getting) the more I see how different the situations are and, frankly, how inconsistent we are in our arguments for/against transit sometimes.
Brampton, this is what could have been for you.

Brampton chose to remain a suburb. It is what is. The GO will come (by september hopefully) and that will be that.

Inconsistent in what way?
one of the things that i kept hearing in Brampton was about how all of this is part of a regional plan....and even if that route (feel the need to state I was never opposed to the route in Brampton) was not the best for Brampton it was important that we build connectivity and connecting to the GO train was a huge part of that regional connectivity (ignoring of course that no one in Brampton has ever proposed a route that does not end at the GO Train)....yet in Hamilton did they not just approve a LRT that manages to avoid connecting with either of the GO Trains in the city (sorry if I am wrong on this but it appears to me it misses both)....it looks like this is just a local transit route.

We are also inconsistent in addressing local needs....Hamilton's LRT seems to be $1B spent addressing the municipalities busiest corridor.......one of the causes of the kerfuffle in Brampton was that Main is nowhere near the busiest corridor or most pressing need in town.....so the ~$400MM to be spent in Brampton was going to solve a secondary need and just ask for trust/faith that eventually that primary need would be addressed. (I know why this is....but it contributed greatly to the debate).

We are also inconsistent in the degree that we allow municipal changes/amendments to these preferred plans/routes the province advocates.

I really don't want to sideswipe Hamilton's great moment here...but I had to react to someone else bringing Brampton into it....the two situations are dramatically different. (I am assuming the business case and ridership projections are not as full of holes as the one I read for Brampton and that LRT is justified).

The arguments are inconsistent, true.....I'm not sure they must be the same everywhere. What that proves is that discussions about transit have many viewpoints and in the heat of the debate, people will seize just about any argument to make their case.

In a world where facts and analysis carry so little weight in political decisions, it's a victory if transit is built "in harmony with" rather than "driven by" specific things. Hamilton may have gotten this one close enough, especially if Eastgate stays in the plan.

- Paul

The Hurontario LRT ended in Brampton just as a clean ending for the LRT and not a forced one at Steeles. I don't see what the problem Brampton City council had with it because it connected all the Go trains along the route. Oh well, its time to move on. Great day for Hamilton.

The Hurontario LRT ended in Brampton just as a clean ending for the LRT and not a forced one at Steeles. I don't see what the problem Brampton City council had with it because it connected all the Go trains along the route. Oh well, its time to move on. Great day for Hamilton.
we should move this to the Hurontario thread if it is going to continue....but every single one of the proposed alternative routes also connected to all 3 GO trains.....so surely, lack of connectivity to GO trains is not the reason people are reluctant to move on from the Main street route and find compromise around one of the other routes.....and, if Hamilton has shown us anything...connectivity to GO trains is not necessarily that important for a successful LRT.

we should move this to the Hurontario thread if it is going to continue....but every single one of the proposed alternative routes also connected to all 3 GO trains.....so surely, lack of connectivity to GO trains is not the reason people are reluctant to move on from the Main street route and find compromise around one of the other routes.....and, if Hamilton has shown us anything...connectivity to GO trains is not necessarily that important for a successful LRT.

Maybe Mark can weigh into the "connectivity" to the GO train station issue for the downtown station and West Harbour where the spur was dropped. Main was an important transit route locally and regionally. It not only connected to a GO train station, it also connected to a GO bus terminal.

Last edited:

Back