Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Some kind of standard policy would be nice. How about everyone gets their first LRT free, but needs to chip in for subsequent ones?
It makes a lot of sense to do this. Get the cities addicted to enhanced rapid transit, and province doesn't have to spend nearly as much on freeways 30 years from now. But yes, standardized policy would be essential as Ottawa/Waterloo/London is left holding the bag now. Maybe they get more funding in Stage 2 (e.g. Cambridge LRT, Ottawa LRT Phase 2/3), as a compensation for the others, there will be future budgets beyond today, it just means later construction start dates than the rest of the LRTs.

The question is, given Hamilton's history of prioritizing car traffic over public transit and of green field development over re-urbanization, will the LRT see its full potential? Having an LRT doesn't guarantee ridership, it takes municipal support
Agreed, and that's why I wrote to the city council to keep the door open for Main 2-way conversion (by not putting a LRT lane on Main). I also mentioned that Main 2-way today if it's too difficult to reopen the debate, but to plead "keep the door open" by putting the LRT lanes onto King Street.

Hamilton is definitely automobile-optimized. Though took a first huge step at de-prioritizing cars in some areas such as James Street, and a few other surrounding streets. It worked spectacularly as any annual visitor to SuperCrawl from 2009-2014 would attest, and it's not even the end of the James revitalization. The city wavered when they considered the idea of turning Main 2-way, declining that idea in 2011. But the door is not slammed permanently shut. It has a long way to go still, but it doesn't look like Detroit anymore. And over the last five years we have had ferocious debate on whether or not to convert additional streets to 2-way. I actually become neutral or moderately anti-LRT (though soft) if they put separate LRT directions on Main and King to cement their 1-way nature. But if city planning is done in a way, where LRT can improve upon the James Street momentum and brings all of that to Main/King/Barton over the next decade or two, I'm all for it.

We need to do rapid transit properly, and if we're getting an LRT, doing it properly is even more important due to the permanence of the tracks.

Last edited:
I

Hamilton is definitely automobile-optimized. Though took a first huge step at de-prioritizing cars in some areas such as James Street, and a few other surrounding streets. It worked spectacularly as any annual visitor to SuperCrawl from 2009-2014 would attest, and it's not even the end of the James revitalization. The city wavered when they considered the idea of turning Main 2-way, declining that idea in 2011. But the door is not slammed permanently shut. It has a long way to go still, but it doesn't look like Detroit anymore.

Detroit (well, Downtown Detroit) doesn't look much like it did in the early 1990s either.

It doesn't. All those abandonded downtown houses near the Ambassador Bridge are now knocked down, and are instead grass. Not seeing much development except for a few spots right in the centre though - and even the centre has mostly become parking lots rather than empty buildings - https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.3364...m4!1e1!3m2!1s5_HNgWYzIpDyPUntsyzCcw!2e0?hl=en
Once the second bridge goes in the Moron family will have no incentive to retain the lands they accumulated to try and strongarm a second bridge for themselves.

Your interpretation of Hamilton not "deserving" the LRT is incorrect, sir (or madam). And I'm not one of the "entitlement generation" which you might blame me as, being a daily GO commuter to Toronto. Our city council, as harebrained as it is sometimes, have recently managed, somehow, to operate better than the Ford-era Toronto city council, and some brilliant decisions were made, such as those related to James Street.

Most of the Lower City population wants the LRT even if the anti-LRT people are quite vocal. We have repeated voted for pro-LRT city councillors, moreso than places like Scarborough. I wonder if you would say Scarborough is deserving of an LRT, considering Hamilton's population almost the same size as than Scarborough (500K versus 625K). One might argue why Scarborough is deserving of a $4bn+ subway, while Hamilton is not deserving of a $1bn LRT!?!? I'd say both of them deserve an LRT, it would help both immensely. It is a legitimate topic of whether "Is it a good idea for province to spend the money on LRTs" and things like "what are the merits of the controversial Hydro One sale?". But the "Hamilton doesn't deserve an LRT" angle is quite stupid. Even though reworded, it becomes a more legitimate "Should Hamilton get LRT instead of better bus service?" and the latter is more fair debate.

LRTs don't exist in isolation. If Hamilton continues to underfund HSR, then this LRT is a waste of money.

Scarborough is no problem. Toronto is veyr committed to transit. Toronto invests a lot in the TTC. A LOT. Toronto doesn't invest less than 10% of its federal gas tax money in transit compared to roads. Toronto also no longer builds freeways through its greenspaces.

Honestly, I think Hamilton's LRT is a great idea. GREAT idea. You didn't need to explain the merits. But without the proper investment in HSR from the city to ensure the LRT's success then it is pointless.

That's all I was saying. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was just saying the province should invest in things that will be successful. Selling something that is successful (Hydro One) and investing in LRT that might not be successful due to lack of municipal support is just a bad idea (although as I said I don't support the sale of Hydro 1 regardless).

The province should have required some sort of commitment in transit from Hamilton. But by not having the City of Hamilton invest in transit, it doesn't change anything for Hamilton, that is just the status quo.

Once the second bridge goes in the Moron family will have no incentive to retain the lands they accumulated to try and strongarm a second bridge for themselves.
Judging by the acres of empty properties, Moron must own half of Detroit!

LRTs don't exist in isolation. If Hamilton continues to underfund HSR, then this LRT is a waste of money.
That, I am in agreement.

LRT can be a big disaster if we don't install it properly. That's why I wrote to the city councillors to plead them to install the LRT on King Street, not shared between Main/King. My ward's councillor, Matthew Green (a newbie that bumped an incumbent, a local volunteer who lives in this ward, and an actual transit user, and not of the Old Boys mentality) agrees with the concept of keeping the door open to Main Street becoming a 2-way street someday.

I have mixed feelings about the new freeways, and it predates me having come to Hamilton, however, there's a silver lining: the RHV and LINC parkways actually helped make the idea of LRT possible. It reduced car traffic on both Main and King. Currently, Main and King are one-way urban expressways (Regional Road 8) with beautifully synchronized green lights, that I can drive 55kph nonstop from Gage Park to 403, without a single red light. Cars often don't stop for business, and there are shuttered storefronts in some sections. Main is a 5-lane one-way street heading east, and King is a 4-lane one-way street heading west. King narrows to as little as 2 lanes through the downtown core (International Village). Mountain is extremely car-optimized and the car lobby is extremely strong up there, but as a quid pro quo, they can let Lower City become more pedestrian/transit friendly.

The comment board on TheSpec as a counterargument for "Main Street Is The Best Route For LRT" (nope, it is not -- in my opinion)

There is a LOT of flexibility to choose how we convert/evolve Main 2-way conversion. 2-1-2 conversion (center turning lane), 3-2 conversion (3 lanes in one direction), and dynamic middle lane (overhead electronic arrow), or even dynamic center turning lane midday. Offpeak-only curbside parking. Eventual permament curbside parking on one side (2-2-1 arrangement). 30 years from now, vote to install bumpouts and bike lanes if CBD doubles and LRT moves 100,000 beyond expectations (I've seen CBD's triple in size before due to revitalization; e.g. takeover of lowrise rundown businesses King/Main/Wilson/Cannon/Barton near downtown). In fact, for me, 2-way Main conversion is more important than the LRT.
Therefore, if we install ANY LRT lane on Main street, we SHOOT ourselves in our foot for revitalization since a lot of even-bigger revitalization potential becomes locked away. I am pro-LRT for King Street not because of International Village, but because of keeping the door open to Main 2-way. I become anti-LRT if any LRT lane is installed on Main, because we permanently lock ourselves from being able convert both Main/King efficiently to 2-way, and a Main LRT slow down cars much more than the King LRT (thanks to 3-lanes towards 403 on Main street during peak if Main Street converted to 2-way)
2-way conversion of Main Street will speed up the commute to 403 because we can make it 3-lanes towards the 403. That's wider than through the International Village. The planners put LRT on King to keep door open to someday 2-way Main conversion, NOT because of the International Village romantic vision, Roger Stermann.
Fellow neighbours and citizens on www.raisethehammer.org and www.hamiltonlightrail.ca has been important to contributing to successful lobbying our city to bring LRT to town, and most people on these sites are pro 2-way-conversion of Main Street.

I agree about how bad some parts of Hamilton has been run, and change has been slow, but I do observe a few brilliant decisions have been made in recent times that is actually starting seeding a sustainable revitalization in Lower City. Great new things like the new art museum, Aquarius theatre, waterfront restaurants, James Street SuperCrawl, Library Market (with the neon lights), McMaster opening a new campus downtown. These now have far more lobbying power to keep the revitalization finally sustainable after lots of failures (e.g. Hamilton Eaton Centre, Steel bankruptcy, etc) and amount of employment in the core is getting higher now, new luxury condos being built. While the downtown is still very quiet late on weekend night, more places are slowly opening later, like Augusta pubs to dozens of new hipster restaurants, and night-time transit demand is much higher, owing to the massive numbers of taxis in the area. Transit demand has leaped ahead of being able to trust offpeak HSR. This provides an impetus for HSR, who will modify bus routes (e.g. north-south routes) to become feeder routes for the LRT, especially since the LRT will run very frequently.

Now our job as Lower City Citizens is to make sure the LRT is installed in a way that it doesn't mortgage Hamilton's future revitalization. (Now that the LRT is funded, and even though a lot of us disagree about where the money's coming from, we are still ecstatic that Hamilton has a great opportunity).

When traffic on King/Main urban expressways go even further down (now helped by LINC/RHV, then soon people using LRT too), we will easily see LRT traffic projections exceeded easily. But only if we can lobby hard to keep both LRT lanes on King street and convert Main to a 2-way street (or at least keeping the door open to that in the future). I'd even tolerate a lane-expansion on RHV/LINC (6 lanes) as a quid pro quo for Mountain letting us build the Lower City LRT and converting the 1-way synchronized-traffic-lights urban expressways into more business-friendly local streets. Even preferably if roads are tolled for pass-through drivers somehow, although we'd have to prevent trucks from going through Main/King.

Last edited:
So the government's announcement for Hamilton LRT seemed to frame it as the B-Line modified, even though it went along the A-Line alignment to West Harbour GO. This Metrolinx presentation seems to frame it as B-Line + A-Line. It remains to be seen what the final branding is, but I would expect them to operate separately.
Yes, that was expected -- when Steven Del Duca came to Hamilton, some of the government staff actually mentioned that the James line was actually the beginning part of the A-Line.

Instead of a longer B-Line LRT as originally envisioned, we've split it into two shorter LRT routes.

The B-Line was actually modified -- by shortening it -- as we now know. The stub was never part of the B-Line from the way the presentations were worded. The shortening of the B-Line essentially funds the beginnings of A-Line. A very short spur that connects the two Hamilton GO stations (a mere 1.5km) for now, but ultimately this will become an LRT up the Mountain / Hamilton's Airport LRT. The letter "A" in A-Line stands for Airport, and is currently served by the A-Line Express Bus but will be replaced by the A-Line LRT once the full length is built.

It's an excellent political move, even if the A-Line is only 1.5 kilometer to begin with (almost not worth calling it A-Line yet, but a political signal). It provides a necessary connection between two Hamilton GO stations now concurrently receiving peak service, and only one of the two GO stations will receive the eventual all-day service. By calling this the A-Line, it also signals the residents up the mountain that this is designated to eventually also serve them, as well as our future Airport LRT (though that probably won't be announced until after another 10 years, and built only in the 2030s), as they are going to develop business park office lands near the airport, and it will help raise the profile of Hamilton Airport. This will help bring some mountain councillors to agree with this LRT, as the LRT does not yet reach their territory.

Granted, this is only a starter stub of A-Line (only 1.5km, just 10% of the 15 kilometer A-Line length), precisely located to connect two Hamilton GO stations that are less than 2 kilometers apart.

Last edited:
IDEA: How about making the A-Line LRT free fare?
for Lower City segment only -- and at least for GOtrain riders

Because it is only a 1.5 kilometer stub that connects two GO stations.

Calgary C-Train operates free LRT service in the downtown segment, for just pennies per passenger!

The two GO train stations are only a 15-20 minute walk apart, but with frequent allday LRT service every few minutes with traffic signal priority, it functions as a quick peoplemover between two GO stations especially if you've missed the GOtrain at one of the two stations, and want to quickly hop to a later train at the other end. Especially as more trains come to Hamilton.

The new GO schedule starting July 9th show that two GO stations (Hamilton Downtown & West Harbour) alternate peak period trains every 15 minutes for some part of the morning. The LRT should be fast enough that if you miss the 6:45am GO train you can realistically easily catch the 7:00am train at the other GO station, either with every-5-min service or an LRT intentionally waiting until 3-5 mins after the GO train left (to collect late stragglers who now need to rush to the other GO station).

The short 1.5 kilometer sprint would probably have one intermediate stop (i.e. Cannon), or even none, and it would be traffic prioritized, so it will reliably reach the other GO station in less than 5 minutes. At this speed, you only need one train to move back and fourth on a single traffic-prioritized traffic-separated LRT track, and still have safety margin to have people catch the next GO train.

You only need to sacrifice one James Street streetside parking to the LRT, and you gain traffic-light-prioritized traffic-separated LRT on James without disrupting car traffic appreciably. Only one track needs to be built, for 1 train moving back and fourth over 1.5 kilometers. With only 1 train, you only need 1 driver salary to operate the whole A-Line! (as well as maintenance costs for that single trainset). Operating costs of A-Line potentially become cheap enough to provide the A-Line peoplemover service for free (like Calgary C-Train), and provides free advertising for people to pay for B-Line. Farebox recovery becomes higher with the free service because of follow-on payments to GOtrains and B-Line.

One possible Presto Fare Integration brilliant idea is to make the A-Line peoplemover free with a GO Train ride.

You miss your GO train, you jump on the A-Line LRT for free if you've already tapped (or LRT fare deducted automatically when tapping Presto at GO station) -- and catch the next GOtrain at the other station. Like the downtown "free peoplemover" segment of Calgary's C-Train where the C-Train is free if you hop between the downtown stations.

Heck, even make A-Line free to everybody in Hamilton, if there was a way to make the numbers work (e.g. profit increases on B-Line outweigh the costs). This may be politically risky (being it the Liberals) but we can use the C-Train excuse too. At the very least, it should be integrated for free with GOtrain ride.

They can afford to do that in Calgary because operating cost is only $0.27 per passenger (2005), and probably still under $0.40 per passenger in 2015 dollars. Operating costs can be quite cheap, once the incredibly huge & scary capital cost is paid ($1bn, admittedly a lot of money for barely above half a million people). With $10 GOtrain fares, it's just pennies on the dollar to give free Lower City A-Line LRT rides to Hamilton, and would actually decrease taxpayer burden (or increase profit, if profitable) by feeding the paid B-Line and paid GO Train.

As for who pays for this, Metrolinx should assume the cost of fare-integrated (or even free) A-Line service, since they are operating the related services they're attracting people to (GO trains and B-Line LRT) -- it actually can raise farebox recovery due to the good transit advertising, depending on how it was presented or integrated.

Last edited:
The A-Line is useless in it's current form.

I've taken the A-Line Express Bus many times, and it's usually 7/8 empty for 3/4 of the route (specifically between Rymal & Fennell/Mohawk College). The bus usually fills up between Mohawk College to TH&B GO.

IMO, the A-Line 'spur' as insisted by Kathleen Wynn isn't even necessary as the B-Line LRT will have a stop literally 2 blocks from the current TH&B GO).

Either way, again IMO, the second LRT line built in Hamilton should actually be the 'C' Line along Mohawk Rd between Ancaster Meadowlands to Mohawk Sports Park @ Mountain Brow -- with an eventual extension to Upper Centennial via Mud St.
Mohawk Rd is much more dense than Upper James and it's Big Box Parking Lots. The 41 Mohawk HSR route has aslo been plagued with over-crowding and fly-bys, so I'm sure the ridership is there.. it's certainly NOT along the A-Line.

A better North-South route for an Express Route (BRT is fine) would be WestHarbour GO to TH&B GO via James or Hughson, up to Moahawk College, across to Limeridge Mall, Les Chater YMCA.. I don't even think the Airport is necessary tbh.

Back