Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

LRT announcement imminent for Hamilton
Hamilton Spectator
By Matthew Van Dongen

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5643062-lrt-announcement-imminent-for-hamilton/
This is a new article, just out today. Seems it's behind paywall.

Summary I see in this article.
-- Province putting LRT cash on table for slightly shorter LRT, 2018+, will need to survive election cycle
-- GO Confederation station (Stoney Creek, at Centennial Parkway) will be announced & fast-tracked.
-- There were very intense behind-the-scene negotiations for the bus garage/maintenance allotment.
-- Presumably, talk of James Street North opening, due to timing

Based on what I'm reading, the province wants a spur line to one of the two GO stations. Currently, my wild guess is it would be a Hurontario-style loop downtown, so it goes to Hunter St. This would be a modification to the route, probably Hunter because that's the proposed all-day two-way terminus, since it's only 3 blocks off the LRT route, so it would be super-easy to add a spur line or a Hurontario-style loop. Also, it is wholly possible that Main Street becomes a 2-way street (as it's plenty wide for a pair of two-way lanes), since some parts of the King one-way would be narrowed to one lane (at the Sherman stop). It will be interesting to hear the announcement, and hopefully the city doesn't waver too much once the province makes both Lower City and Mountain happy enough (our 416 vs 905 equivalent).

From the optimist's viewpoint, the province delayed things to allow negotiations to take place on the bus shelter stuff and making an announcement banquet that would satisfy Hamilton's voter population more than otherwise. Normally the bus stuff is not Ontario's purview but the LRT trains need a maintenance facility, so they could cleverly piggyback a bus maintenance facility on top of it. By shorter LRT, it suggests it would stop at Queenston Circle -- (the traffic circle near 55 Queenston). Or maybe they're pulled that off to protect for flexibility of a better potential northwards turn towards the future Confederation GO station if they decided to reroute B-Line later for that -- potentially clever vote getter if Hamilton LRT connects more than one GO station with just one line. Alas, it means we have to have it survive one more election cycle, but if it's packaged as a bona-fide big mix of interdependent upgrades (LRT announcement and the GO Confederation station with LRT connection and maintenance facility that handles both buses and LRTs), it will be hard for enough voters to say no and risk losing it all, surviving the 2018 election cycle to do greenlighted construction. Not all dollars may come from this $16bn cycle, but there was already pre-allocated funds in ongoing GO expansions which of course, includes the partial work currently being done in Stoney Creek and Lewis, so some funding piggybacking may occur, so there may be room to use up the remaining "money pot" and combine with already pre-allocated funds / future allotments in 2018. Let's know there's other reluctant city councils, such as Brampton and Hurontario LRT. There's more unity in Hamilton city council than that. And no jokingly -- FAR MORE SO -- when it compares to Scarborough city council and their invisible subway that's far less certain than even the lower uncertainity of Hamilton's LRT. Enough said.

The pessimist viewpoint will be, obviously, the province kicked the can further down the road. And of course, that it all costs too much; which may be a legitimate criticism but consider what other relatively small-ish Ontario cities are now getting LRT -- look at small Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo as comparisions. Even when including central or Greater regions. I'll let the pessimist fight over that. I could write equal sized books on both the optimist and pessimist viewpoints, but I'm certainly not going to jinx things by doing so.

Last edited:
As new readers are going to come to this thread...

Hamilton LRT
For those interested, there's several LRT studies, that overall, Hamilton spent a fortune on already since 2011, including which lanes get closed, which building we need to modify for alternate access (when driveways blocked off), etc.
- PDF: LRT route planning, including value/uplifts
- PDF: LRT Benefits/Schemes
- PDF: Hamilton's LRT feasibility study, both B-Line and A-Line

Confederation GO Station
After a bit of idling, I am now seeing significant construction changes on the Centennial Parkway rail overpass widening, which will have provisions for a GO platform as part of the widened overpass. This serves to confirm the rumor in a way. That's the big mess near the walmart, for those who drive Centennial Parkway a little north of Barton. Metrolinx already owns land for car parking, they purchased the old motel lands there. And they are activating overnight-parking GOtrain sidings nearby in Stoney Creek (Lewis) for the upcoming James North station, so trains have to deadhead through this proposed Confederation station anyway. A waste of an unused stop that GO trains will pass through! So the $35M cost of a new GO station here, is pretty much a no-brainer. (+~$100M for track expansion, for Metrolinx trackage to reduce track contention with CN, which is what the $150M cost estimate covers). For more information, there's also a Hamilton General Service Discussion thread, that covers more of my monitorings of Hamilton GO infrastructure.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you mdrejhon for the refresher.

Meanwhile, CBC Hamilton reports that the LRT announcement will be for a shorter 11.5 km line ending at 55 Queenston Rd, just east of Kenilworth, rather than the original Eastgate Mall terminus at 13.5 km.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...uncement-will-be-for-a-shorter-line-1.3086567
Thanks, updated my post.

(executing a very brief, uninformed, armchair Google Satellite analysis)
This provides an opportunity to evaluate multiple different B-Line LRT routes to Confederation GO station for the future, if they decide to make a future LRT extension that way. Perhaps a turn northwards on Nash+Queenston street instead of Centennial Parkway. Look closely tracking north of Queenston Road you will see a very wide catchment (20 feet wide?) next to Sam Mansion Park and the Eastlawn Cemetry! That's a possible future LRT ROW to Barton Street? So we buy a little more time to reroute the LRT during a future-phase extension. Not saying this is the most feasible idea, but it does open the door to alternative LRT routes to Confederation GO.

Last edited:
What's the use of stopping it there? There's nothing at that location.
There's a traffic circle there, convenient for turning the LRTs around. No expropriation needed if they plan to use cheaper unidirectional LRTs rather than bidirectional LRTs.

There's a traffic circle there, convenient for turning the LRTs around. No expropriation needed if they plan to use cheaper unidirectional LRTs rather than bidirectional LRTs.
I assume they'll use double-ended vehicles similar to Toronto Metrolinx lines, Mississauga, and Waterloo, and that the existence of the traffic-circle is a coincidence.

I assume they'll use double-ended vehicles similar to Toronto Metrolinx lines, Mississauga, and Waterloo, and that the existence of the traffic-circle is a coincidence.
Possibly, but it can simplify logistics when a malfunctioning LRT needs to be towed, or that one cab is malfunctioning / compromised / broken window / antilock siezes when going in one direction / etc. The traffic circle will definitely help, resuming service more quickly when there's more choices of direction how to move an LRT out of service, whether there's difficulty pushing, pulling, motoring in a specific direction, whatever.

I'm pretty sure the traffic circle wasn't a coincidence, but a convenient trunctated endpoint that expands operational flexibility.

Last edited:
If this LRT project actually ends up being built -which is highly dependent on the start date the province announces- I can see this turning into a Sheppard subway type of issue in the future, in the sense that the line will be "truncated" and City Council will be constantly bickering about what to do with the remaining portion of the line (ie: whether to build BRT, express bus service, or abolish the LRT).

In terms of the type of vehicle that will be used, it will certainly be the Flexity Freedoms (the same ones that will be used in Mississauga, Waterloo and Finch as was mentioned above). But again this is dependent on the start date. If the province sticks to the originally planned 2018 this thing has no chance of being built (it reminds me of the all-day GO service McGuinty promised back in 2010/11). However, if the province moves the date up to 2016/17 then this project will most likely be going ahead.

Possibly, but it can simplify logistics when an LRT needs to be towed. The traffic circle will definitely HELP, even with bidirectional LRTs.
I don't see how. It's not like they are going to put tracks around it or anything.

The plans show that they go along the south side, to the Queenston Circle stop to the east. Presumably they will then simply change direction here and go back.

H LRT.png

I'm pretty sure the traffic circle wasn't a coincidence, but a convenient trunctated endpoint that expands operational flexibility.
I couldn't disagree more. I can't imagine they'd ever consider putting track 360 degrees around the circle, even it if was the terminus. I doubt that it even meets the minimum curve radius.

Attachments

• H LRT.png
    H LRT.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 571
The plans show that they go along the south side, to the Queenston Circle stop to the east. Presumably they will then simply change direction here and go back.
The diagram you show is only if the LRT went to Eastgate. Now that it terminates at Queenston, there's an opportunity to put one single track around the loop, instead of originally at Eastgate. Or superimpose an emergency turnaround.

I couldn't disagree more. I can't imagine they'd ever consider putting track 360 degrees around the circle, even it if was the terminus. I doubt that it even meets the minimum curve radius.
Ummm:
- The turning radius of the Bombardier Flexity Freedom is 25 meters
- The Queenston traffic circle inside diameter curb-to-curb is 48 meters. That's inner curb. The outer lane of Queenston traffic circle is sufficient for an emergency turnaround, with huge amount of safety margin. In fact, the innermost lane can handle it too -- given 1 meter gap to curb -- but more likely it would be the outer especially if it's only used as emergency turnaround.
- Track is not necessarily 360 degree circle. It would be a teardrop-shaped track, with the pointy end pointing northwest-ish.
- The only reason why it "bisects" the circle now, is to maintain the alignment for the Queenston Circle station exactly in the median -- not because of turning radius limitations! It doesn't preclude adding a superimposed tear-drop-shaped turnaround, on top of this, for easier emergency turnaround. It does not necessarily need to be a frequently used method of turnaround, but that the option is provided for operational flexibility in the event of a bidirectional car going unidirectional (cab issue) without grinding LRT service to a halt. Streetcar/LRT breakdowns are a very big royal PITA, as it cascades all the way down the line, after all, and maximum operational flexibility is desirable, even with bidirectional.

From my math calculations, minimum radius is not a problem for this traffic circle, for an emergency turnaround. It's far less tight than the tight near-90 degree turn for TTC streetcars, the traffic circle is quite wide in comparision to that, and Flexity Freedom aren't that "many times more restrictive" than even the TTC streetcars (the turning radii is actually only slightly better with the new TTC streetcars).

If the LRT is built, and it doesn't terminate anywhere else with emergency turnaround opportunities (e.g. Eastgate) an obvious operational efficiency is to add a turnaround at this traffic circle, knowing that a malfunctioning LRT can really run everybody else's day on the whole line, especially if its options of movement is limited (e.g. towable only on one end due to damaged latch from an intersection collision, e.g. out-of-service end cab)

Last edited:
I have to agree with nfitz that the chance of seeing a loop track built for a line that will with 99% certainty run double-ended vehicles is approximately zero. I'm sure it is a coincidence.

The diagram you show is only if the LRT went to Eastgate. Now that it terminates at Queenston, there's an opportunity to put one single track around the loop, instead of originally at Eastgate. Or superimpose an emergency turnaround.
Which clearly isn't going to happen. The cars would simply reverse direction. I have no idea what you think an emergency turnaround would be for ... I can barely conceive of a situation where they would be able to use the circle, but not the stop a few metres further east.

How many LRT vehicles would this iteration of the plan require? And would this be within the number already contemplated/committed by the "Toronto" order?

I tend to agree - they will be double-ended, and loops won't be required.

- Paul

Back