Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Giggle. Street LRT and rapid transit in the same sentence. I hope you have your flame suit on.

It's designed like the new St Clair line; that is dedicated Light Rail Vehicle lanes, the ability to switch stop lights to Green, and a limited amount of stops which would indeed live up to the 'rapid' aspect of Rapid Transit.

It differs from St Clair as LRV entry would be from all doors, not just the front. Also LRVs will be time-spaced appropriately as to not end up with 3 LRVs queuing up a-la Spadina.. all leading to a much faster mode of transit!

Currently, Hamilton's B-Line BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) crosses the City (east-west) in ~ 30mins. LRT would save ~10mins from end-to-end.

Please don't forget to stop by and help our region out: http://hamiltonlightrail.com/

Torontonians should stand up for LRT in Hamilton. It's up to us as Canada's most metropolitan city to do what we can to positively influence other cities by encouraging advanced infrastructure projects like LRT. Hamilton has so many neighbourhoods in need of revitalization, and an LRT line could really improve transit and attract more investment than bus transit alone. A city of that size could meet its needs effectively with light rail. It would be harder to scrap than BRT by some misguided mayor in the future.

Why is it that only the largest cities in Canada have decent transit infrastructure, while populous medium sized cities like Hamilton just use buses? These cities should have advanced transit infrastructure to maintain the vitality of their dense, older neighbourhoods and not be reliant on street life-killing one way streets and expressways.

Please don't forget to stop by and help our region out: http://hamiltonlightrail.com/

As much as this is a thread for LRT in Hamilton, I will take a moment to inform that something awry is going on with the site, as a post I placed as part of my signed petition ended up sending to a vast number of email accounts. I nearly had a war of words with a gent who initially didn't take my "post" very well but with some clarification, managed to come to an amicable conclusion.

So... to whomever may it concern... may want to get that fixed. :)

Last edited:
^^ Yes, the comments are being forwarded to City Politicians (Councilors, MPPs & MPs) to ensure EVERYONE knows how important LRT is to Hamiltonians.

Thanks everyone for your support! I agree, we need every municipality on-board LRT to get the technology seriously implmented across the province a-la Alberta, rather than using it as a 'Test' plan of sorts (ie Scarb.RT).
ps: Kitchener-Waterloo is building their LRT as we speak.. I fear it will become another SRT if Ontario doesn't continue to invest in LRT across the province; Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, K-W and even London eventually.

Last edited:
Personally, I think having two way, all day service between downtown Hamilton and Toronto Union station is more important than a LRT system in Hamilton.

Personally, I think having two way, all day service between downtown Hamilton and Toronto Union station is more important than a LRT system in Hamilton.

I guess it depends on your perspective. If you view Hamilton as simply a bedroom community for Toronto than yes GO transit. If you, however, view Hamilton as a municipality in it's own right that can attract business investment, economic growth, etc, etc, than I would say local transit improvements (read LRT) first.

Wynne has promised both. Not sure how Hudak's proposal is an improvement.

I guess it depends on your perspective. If you view Hamilton as simply a bedroom community for Toronto than yes GO transit. If you, however, view Hamilton as a municipality in it's own right that can attract business investment, economic growth, etc, etc, than I would say local transit improvements (read LRT) first.

All day, two way service would bring more people into Hamilton. Mcmaster university would be much more accessible to more students. Copps Coliseum would also get busier.

I think it would also help spur investments in the downtown core.

Last edited:

Hamilton see themselves as the centre of the universe that service more area than Toronto.

They want more service to KW, Guelph, NF, but most of all more service for their city.

They see TO as a side trip. They know a fair number of their residents work there in the first place, but want them to work in their city.

Council support the LRT regardless what the mayor think of it.

I support Hamilton LRT plan since this is the way to go.

All-day GO service will help long-distance commuters, but not so much the neighbourhoods of urban Hamilton. LRT can help revitalize the older parts of the city which are struggling by improving access and a mobility in a city that has been hard hit by auto-centric suburban planning. LRT is important for the vitality of Hamilton's urban neighbourhoods.

All day, two way service would bring more people into Hamilton. Mcmaster university would be much more accessible to more students.
Would service from Toronto/Peel/Halton be any faster to McMaster than via the express bus connection through Aldershot if they brought 2-way full service to Hamilton? The bus connection would be 5 km instead of 10 km, but I would think the travel time wouldn't be any better.

I'm a bit of a skeptic regarding the utility and effect of heritage and modern streetcars (such as Portland Streetcar or Memphis Main Street Trolley) but if there is one place in the Golden Horseshoe for a new modern streetcar line, it's Downtown Hamilton between the waterfront, the new James St. GO Station, Gore Park, existing GO Centre and St. Joseph's Hospital, maybe even up the Escarpment to Concession Road. Build on-street tracks to the same gauge and voltage as the LRT, operate it at a 10 minute minimum, and it would not only mitigate the long distance from the new GO station from the main downtown area, but also help promote redevelopment and waterfront uses.

Mac is well-served from the east by the bus connections from Aldershot as well as the 407 service. (I would hope all trains with the 30 minute service get connecting McMaster and Hamilton GO Centre buses at Aldershot.) Extending the trains to James Street (or the GO centre) won't help many Mac students.

Last edited:
Tim Hudak prefers building highways over LRT? This is shocking news.

I'm a bit of a skeptic regarding the utility and effect of heritage and modern streetcars (such as Portland Streetcar or Memphis Main Street Trolley) but if there is one place in the Golden Horseshoe for a new modern streetcar line, it's Downtown Hamilton between the waterfront, the new James St. GO Station, Gore Park, existing GO Centre and St. Joseph's Hospital, maybe even up the Escarpment to Concession Road. Build on-street tracks to the same gauge and voltage as the LRT, operate it at a 10 minute minimum, and it would not only mitigate the long distance from the new GO station from the main downtown area, but also help promote redevelopment and waterfront uses.

The escarpment is a major physical barrier, for both cars, transit, cycling, etc. This might sound crazy but maybe a subway along James Street to Upper James Street would be best. If could be modeled after MUNI Metro, and the lines diverge to serve multiple corridors on Hamilton Mountain as surface light rail.

Tim Hudak prefers building highways over LRT? This is shocking news.

The escarpment is a major physical barrier, for both cars, transit, cycling, etc. This might sound crazy but maybe a subway along James Street to Upper James Street would be best. If could be modeled after MUNI Metro, and the lines diverge to serve multiple corridors on Hamilton Mountain as surface light rail.

If you really want to talk crazy talk, my ideal plan would be to build a bus tunnel that would emerge somewhere near the mental health centre/Mohawk College with branches heading from there east across Fennell, south along James, southwest via Fennell and Garth, and a bus line direct towards Lime Ridge Mall via Queensdale and Upper Wentworth (with local buses serving Concession Street and Upper Wellington continuing to use Jolley Cut).

Much cheaper and more flexible not to use track when you have dispursed trip generators on the Mountain, especially as rubber tired buses can use a shorter, steeper tunnel that would save money. Of course, to mitigate diesel exhaust, the bus tunnel would require bringing back trolley buses, which also perform better than diesels uphill and would provide energy through regenerative braking downhill.

Basically, it would be a longer version of this:

7253546804_a0ac5cf9b6_c.jpg

And once you got trolley buses back and a need for substations for the LRT on King/Queenston anyway, string Barton Street back up! After all, the HSR never took advantage of dieselization to extend Route 2 buses past Bell Manor Loop (like the TTC did extending the 6, 47 and 61 buses).

Last edited:

Back