Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

wasn't this always 55 stories???? the penthouse video (posted in 2009) already said it occupies the entire 55th floor.
the description is below the video on this page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG4I26aIPKk

and speaking of the penthouse, i understand this one is going for $28 million CDN.
the 14,000 square foot 89th floor Trump Chicago penthouse is $30 million USD.
I understand that the $30 million is american dollars, but why is the price different so little between the 2? Four Seasons' penthouse is much smaller, not to mention it ain't occupying the 89th floor of a building.

[video=youtube;3tPPN1Pm7nQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tPPN1Pm7nQ[/video]

*Canadian Dollar is trading above $1.02 U.S... We're still getting ripped off from the mass consciousness that American money is worth way more than ours... When we go shopping we just shrug it off and forget about it and that's what the greedy Canadian Business owners are hoping we do, while they laugh all the way to the bank.

*Canadian Dollar is trading above $1.02 U.S... We're still getting ripped off from the mass consciousness that American money is worth way more than ours... When we go shopping we just shrug it off and forget about it and that's what the greedy Canadian Business owners are hoping we do, while they laugh all the way to the bank.

Well said.

There's a price difference because the American real estate industry is in big trouble with prices for housing continuing to fall across the board. Is that something we are experiencing here?

true, but even still, the price of the Trump Chicago penthouse was/has (is it sold?) $30 million even when the CDN dollar was below it, i don't think the FS penthouse has changed in value (it was always the most expensive penthouse ever sold in toronto).
is the four seasons penthouse considered overpriced? (even the 11,000 square foot Aura penthouse is cheaper)

Ed's got it absolutely right on the price differential... another reason why prices in general in the US are lower is because their minimum wage is around $5.00/hr and even lower sometimes for service industry workers who are expected to make up the difference on tips. Thats why I dont get people who do cross border shopping, all you are doing is supporting the exploitation of workers in the US while robbing your fellow citizen of making a decent living. I am always happy to pay the Canadian price.

Here's something else, this is a general statement and I'm sure there are exceptions at the extremes.

In general, real estate iis cheaper in Chicago then Toronto overall ... and this isn't new, it's been like this for a long time.

Ed's got it absolutely right on the price differential... another reason why prices in general in the US are lower is because their minimum wage is around $5.00/hr and even lower sometimes for service industry workers who are expected to make up the difference on tips. Thats why I dont get people who do cross border shopping, all you are doing is supporting the exploitation of workers in the US while robbing your fellow citizen of making a decent living. I am always happy to pay the Canadian price.

The average household income difference between the US and Canada is huge. It's just under 52k in Canada (after taxes) and nearly 50k in the states (before taxes), and it is therefore reasonable to assume that since the average Canadian employee is paid a higher salary, owners must make up for it by charging higher prices. I'm always willing to support my country's economy and pay the difference to shop in Canada. It's 100% worth it for living in such a beautiful, safe, and overall amazing country. :D

the average household income difference between the us and canada is huge. It's just under 52k in canada (after taxes) and nearly 50k in the states (before taxes), and it is therefore reasonable to assume that since the average canadian employee is paid a higher salary, owners must make up for it by charging higher prices. I'm always willing to support my country's economy and pay the difference to shop in canada. It's 100% worth it for living in such a beautiful, safe, and overall amazing country. :d

theres none better!!!

All of the Canadian-business-practice loving may be fine... (And I agree to buy Canadian whenever possible) However... and this is a big BUT...

When our dollar first went above par a couple of years ago... Canadians started complaining that magazine and book prices were not fair. The displayed American price was still consistently 25 to 30 percent lower. The Canadian retailers tried to excuse this away with, more expensive costs incurred by importing from the States which included Canadian duties, taxes and transportation costs Blah, Blah, Blah.

When consumers said "OK fair enough. But those were all there before our dollar went up and there is still no adjustment for the higher dollar. So why haven't prices on Books and Magazines dropped?"

The booksellers answer to this? They simply removed the American prices on all products so we wouldn't know how much we were getting ripped off anymore. And stupid Canadian consumers just shrugged and forgot about it.

That is only one example of one sector that blatantly steels from you everyday. The Auto sector is another.... We make many of the cars right here and we still pay thousands more for the same model as the U.S. I have no sympathy for the Canadian business man complaining about cross-boarder shoppers. They do it to themselves. They "Choked the Golden Goose."

More on topic... The penthouse at Four seasons has the added cache that it is in Yorkville and none of the other high-end PH's have that location. I mean Aura has Evergreen Street-Youth Outreach Centre steps from their door and FS has Holt Renfrew. Which would you prefer?

Last edited:
All of the Canadian-business-practice loving may be fine... (And I agree to buy Canadian whenever possible) However... and this is a big BUT...

When our dollar first went above par a couple of years ago... Canadians started complaining that magazine and book prices were not fair. The displayed American price was still consistently 25 to 30 percent lower. The Canadian retailers tried to excuse this away with, more expensive costs incurred by importing from the States which included Canadian duties, taxes and transportation costs Blah, Blah, Blah.

When consumers said "OK fair enough. But those were all there before our dollar went up and there is still no adjustment for the higher dollar. So why haven't prices on Books and Magazines dropped?"

The booksellers answer to this? They simply removed the American prices on all products so we wouldn't know how much we were getting ripped off anymore. And stupid Canadian consumers just shrugged and forgot about it.

That is only one example of one sector that blatantly steels from you everyday. The Auto sector is another.... We make many of the cars right here and we still pay thousands more for the same model as the U.S. I have no sympathy for the Canadian business man complaining about cross-boarder shoppers. They do it to themselves. They "Choked the Golden Goose."

More on topic... The penthouse at Four seasons has the added cache that it is in Yorkville and none of the other high-end PH's have that location. I mean Aura has Evergreen Street-Youth Outreach Centre steps from their door and FS has Holt Renfrew. Which would you prefer?

Let's see ... given the choice between a pretentious overpriced store I will never shop at, and a community organization dedicated to helping youth and adding to the fabric of the neighborhood... I'll take the latter.

Yeh sure...street youth of course ;) Well actually if I had that kind of mega dough I would shop at Holt and donate a million to the Street youth centre.

Last edited:
Let's see ... given the choice between a pretentious overpriced store I will never shop at, and a community organization dedicated to helping youth and adding to the fabric of the neighborhood... I'll take the latter.

I am socially conscious as well, Bruvyman and agree with your sentiment. However we are talking about the Carriage Trade who are purchasing these units, so you must imagine what they would prefer. (After all, they are buying to impress their friends more than for themselves and it's difficult to impress your friend when a squeegee-kid is wiping the windshield of his RR Phantom outside your condo as he arrives to visit you.)

Yeh sure...street youth of course ;) Well actually if I had that kind of mega dough I would shop at Holt and donate a million to the Street youth centre.

This is more in keeping with what I would expect of the new FS PH purchasers.

Back