Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Worlds slowest launch... i presume they are waiting for the market to die off,Mirvish should partner with someone who actually has money and experience in building something of this scale.

Agreed that this is taking a really long time, but please don't bump threads that are quiet unless you have vital information to share.

Worlds slowest launch... i presume they are waiting for the market to die off,Mirvish should partner with someone who actually has money and experience in building something of this scale.

Yes very slow...and that's unfortunate because Toronto desperately needs this project. Can we stand any more glass boxes with a lower heritage facade? BTW...thanks for bringing up the thread..I hadn't read some of the the earlier comments.

Apparently this is launching this year...

an excerpt from The Epoch Times, New Condo Launches Will Attract Much Chinese Interest, Says Real Estate Veteran:

With 12 to 15 percent of the market share, Milborne is the country’s top firm. It oversees a myriad of projects, the most remarkable of which might be Mirvish+Gehry Toronto, the 92-storey double-tower landmark slated to be built on King St. in Toronto’s downtown core. The mixed-use development will house 1,950 residential units and should propel Toronto into the world’s uppermost tier of cities.

“It’s the project of the decade,” declared Davie. “These two buildings will be a work of art. They’re going to be landmark buildings, at the level of something you’d see in Shanghai or Hong Kong or Dubai; buildings everyone is going to want to own and be a part of, so we’re looking forward to launching that this year.

If they bring all 2,000 units to market all at once it may fix the issue of a lack of new supply in the downtown..

There's a lack of supply downtown?

There have been few new buildings launching in the downtown over the last year or so.. lots under construction right now but the downtown market is shifting increasingly to rental buildings leaving less in the way of the condo market. Suburbs have picked up the slack in terms of condo sales, places like Vaughan Centre have seen a slew of new condo buildings do extremely well.

A rather small portion of developments downtown either recently announced, recently started, or recently finished are rental.

Pardon this tangential bump, but I wanted to post the link below regarding a parallel development in LA where an eagerly awaited Gehry scheme may go up against heritage preservation. The rest of this site in West Hollywood is more than worthy of demolition, but I frequently walk by the bank and have been a bit sad since I learned it was going to get knocked down. My hopes were limited to saving some of the glass and mosaic work, but there may be a larger compromise now.

http://la.curbed.com/2016/7/27/12276520/chase-lytton-bank-landmark-8150-sunset

You would think that Gehry could do something quite fun with that bank. It's quite the mid-century looker.

I remember a year ago - pre-TIFF - This project was already very quiet but everyone thought there would at least be an information building if not a sales pavilion to take advantage of the TIFF crowds and attendees. But nothing materialized. Now, a year later, still nothing has materialized and no information of any sort. I can't help but wonder if this hasn't simply fallen well down Gehry's priority list given the large number of big projects he has underway and in planning and his not-inconsequential age. Toronto may be where he is from but LA is the city he loves. That has have an impact on his priorities.

Last edited:
Gehry's design is pretty much completed for this project, and Projectcore are looking for the right construction team now. Not just anyone can build this development.

Projectcore are looking for the right construction team now. Not just anyone can build this development.

One thing's for sure, this ain't no cookie-cutter of a construction project - it'll be quite the undertaking. That being said, I'm still surprised they haven't gone into any pre-registration, sales, or marketing.

Back